Android Launch Kodi from FTV Home with no dummy app
Forgive me if I've got it wrong - I'm a noob here - but is it not widely shared that you can launch Kodi from the FTV home screen without using a dummy app? I tried a method I heard about earlier today - it's easy - but surprised to see no mention of it in the forum (perhaps I'm not searching properly - I did try!) and no mention in the wiki. Is it old news?

The method is to sideload Kodi as per normal, then to 'buy' the Kodi app on the Amazon app store. Even though the app is marked as not compatible with the FTV you can still buy it. When you synchronise your account on the FTV, the Kodi icon shows up in the 'Recent' list, and you can launch as normal. Too easy. It also works with SPMC, but I reverted to straight Kodi.

Again, forgive me if this is old news but I thought the wiki might reflect this easier launch method...
Dear anugraha,

THANK YOU for this gem of information. I, too, did just what you said here and puff! It magically added a WORKING Kodi app to the normal Amazon Fire TV.

Awesome
That's great to hear. I thought I was imagining it!
Works like a charm - thank you!
Whoop whoop! Should be marked as sticky.
Most of us, even on Team Kodi, did not know that Kodi had been submitted to the Amazon app store, lol.

Now we just need to harass amazon into making it "Fire TV compatible" and people won't even have to sideload.
Awesome news, bye bye ikonotv
awesome, works for me too. thanks!
This just made the FTV even more attractive ... Ned, your suggestion would be the icing on the cake.
Excellent, thanks for that.

Took a minute to show up after syncing but working perfectly now.
How do you "sync"? I already had Kodi on my FTV and then I bought the app on the app store. I restarted my FTV. Is there anything else that that I should be doing?
Go to settings and select "sync now".

This works great.

I was a bit hesitant because previously Team XBMC had said they were not going to submit to google play, amazon, or the apple store, but since it wouldn't install on the firetv from amazon anyway I figured it was safe.
Does this work the same for the stickHuh

UPDATE: I just "bought" it from the app store. I will trying syncing when I get home. This is coolness it's self!
We're caught in a tight spot where we want to reserve the Kodi app ID on various stores, so other groups can't hijack Kodi installs or cause confusion, but we're still figuring out all the store stuff and if there will be issues or not. For the user, they don't really need to worry, but just to explain to people why we haven't really announced anything yet. We're taking baby steps. So far, the world hasn't burned down, so that's good, right? ;)
does this work with xbmc 13.2?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launch Kodi from FTV Home with no dummy app3