AMD A8-3850 - how much power
Looking to buy a used A8-3850 w Gigabite FM1 mini-itx board....

Looking to build a CHEAP HTPC for just streaming around it.....

Would this be a better option than a hacked Chromebox with Open ELC?

If so would something like the Apex MI-008 case with a 250 watt PSU be enough, or do I need to look at a case + decent psu for it?
Personal opinion, HTPCs are a thing of the past, unless you really want one and/or base on your requirements.
These days a NAS + Kodi client is the way to go. Especially for just streaming.

AFTV and Chromebox are the popular options, with Chromebox being almost the perfect box according to this sticky thread:
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)

Start there. Chances are all your questions will be answered there
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
I run an A8-3870K Server/Kodi/Steam Box which is pretty close to the A8-3850. I'm not entirely sure how low it can go power wise, but both have a 100w TDP so I'm thinking 250w is a little low.

I'm running a Corsair CX500 500w PSU, but I'm also running six hard drives and a Radeon HD 6850 in it at the same time.
(2015-03-02, 23:43)shabuboy Wrote: Personal opinion, HTPCs are a thing of the past, unless you really want one and/or base on your requirements.
These days a NAS + Kodi client is the way to go. Especially for just streaming.

AFTV and Chromebox are the popular options, with Chromebox being almost the perfect box according to this sticky thread:
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)

Start there. Chances are all your questions will be answered there

Yeah, I circled myself back around to the fact that I'd be building a 300+ dollar machine to basically replace a 50 dollar streamer (WD Live TV) that does all I need it to *for now*. And the problem I'd be trying to solve (storage) can be resolved short term by buying a bigger external hard drive to add to, or replace the existing 3 TB one I have.

I also realized that I should likely focus on hard wiring my network throughout the house, and then adding more storage space to my existing computer (now in a Silverstone GD-08b case) so I can make it my combo server/storage device while still using it to play music in my office and light surfing. Alternatively, I may end up building a server in my old case (Antec P182) later down the road to offload storage duties to it as a standalone unit using UnRaid.

I do like the Chromebox option to as it seems to be decently cool. I will have to research it further later on. It might be a cool replacement for my WD Live TV just as a front end since its also quite small and I'm assuming can be controlled via a Harmony One remote...

(2015-03-03, 04:32)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I run an A8-3870K Server/Kodi/Steam Box which is pretty close to the A8-3850. I'm not entirely sure how low it can go power wise, but both have a 100w TDP so I'm thinking 250w is a little low.

I'm running a Corsair CX500 500w PSU, but I'm also running six hard drives and a Radeon HD 6850 in it at the same time.

Thanks. I think I circled back around to holding off for now....
The WD Live TV is a great little device. Eventually you outgrow it (they can't handle my library for example), but for a non-Kodi box it is hard to beat.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A8-3850 - how much power0