RPI 2 Audio Dropout playing music?
For the last couple of days I've been experiencing dropouts when listening to lossless music. It's like a stutter for a fraction of a second.
I believe it started after I ran the last update for openELEC?
Everything else works perfect (except for YouTube being so slow to load that it's virtually unusable). No problems watching video or listenng to MP3.
Streaming from a NAS with NFS protocol via a Gbit router with wired connections.
The Pi is connected to the stereo using a toslink HAT.
I don't know what to do, listening to music is just painfully annoying now. Sad
Any help to solve this is greatly appreciated.
Hello,

I am running Openelec on a RPi2. I am also experiencing audio dropout (but via SAMBA and not with Video playback, via DLNA). I found audio dropout was only occurring on the WLAN but not with a LAN connection. Here's what I have at the moment in the advancedsettings file as a workaround.

<advancedsettings>

<network>
<cachemembuffersize>20971520</cachemembuffersize>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<readbufferfactor>3</readbufferfactor>
</network>

</advancedsettings>
Experiencing same issue, using OpenELEC official 5.0.6. (also happening in 5.0.5)

Streaming audio book mp3 via samba share, randomly every 20 minutes or so it will pause for a several seconds then continue to play. It happens mid sentence and will resume exactly where it left off. I think it also has a knock on effect of truncating the end of the track, like the counter must still be runing during pause so it thinks its the end of the track too soon.

Have absolutely no problem playing HD video material with exact same setup, so I dont think bandwidth issue.

I'm gonna try playing audio off storage partition on the R-Pi itself and report back if it happens there too.
I went back and tried 5.0.4 and 5.0.3 and still getting the pauses.

Also thought it could be buffering to efficiently and the hard drive they are streaming off spins down and the pause are caused from waiting for the drive to start up again, but it doesn't seem the case.

Gonna go back and have try with 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 next.
I solved my problems by doubling the buffer size and increasing readbufferfactor to 4.
I find it really strange that huge videos files will stream flawlessly but tiny mp3 files are having issues.

I was trying to avoid messing with caching because its working perfectly with videos and I don't wanna stuff it up. Thats why I was just gonna use a slightly older version if I could but if that doesn't work I will just manually set the buffer like you guys.
I'm a no0b myself and I just found something that solved it for me. There could be other so,unions for sure. Smile
I have added buffer settings to my advanced settings.

I am confused by one thing, when I add 104857600 to cachemembuffersize when I press the codec display info it says cache size is only 50mb? If I double it 204857600 it will then show 100mb.

Code:
<advancedsettings>

<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>204857600</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
</network>

<musicextensions>
  <add>.m4b</add>
</musicextensions>

</advancedsettings>

I think maybe the default 'readbufferfactor' is the reason small files buffer because their bitrate is so small it calculates tiny amounts not enough to cover any little hick-ups.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPI 2 Audio Dropout playing music?0