Hardware recommendations
(2015-03-11, 04:47)aaronb Wrote: I'm curious why this is the case. I use a Harmony remote with a Flirc, with my remote programmed as a Media Center keyboard, and it works great. Using it programmed as a keyboard gives me plenty of extra keys to program

I find having to program both the receiver and the remote itself tedious, esp when everything works OOTB with a MCE receiver (esp suspend/resume). I think Flirc is great for customizing other remotes, just not my pick for use with a Harmony
Now that I've had a few days to mess around with my Chromebox, I'll note a few issues.

-Sometimes Kodi doesn't boot up at all. I'm stuck with a blank black screen with my HDMI input selected. I find that I have to start the Chromebox and shut it down several times before OpenElec boots up which is annoying. I've tried different HDMI cables and various inputs on my receiver. I don't have any USB drives or keyboards connected at the time of start up. Every few attempts and it will finally bring up the OpenElec boot screen. I usually wait about 30 seconds to a minute before shutting it down and starting it back up. When it does finally boot up, it only takes a few seconds as discussed on various threads. It's very strange and I'm starting to think it's an issue with the OS install. My Playstation and Cable box on the same HDMI inputs work just fine.

-And randomly Kodi will reboot out of the blue for no reason, and I haven't added any repos as of yet. I used the same settings as suggested from the pricklytech link. It doesn't happen very often, but when I'm switching from different menus within Kodi, it will reboot suddenly. Usually it doesn't take me back to the OpenElec boot screen, but flashes for a couple of seconds and sends me back to the main interface menu.

I'm not sure if these problems are connected or just a common OpenElec issue with the Chromebox.
(2015-03-12, 22:42)Jetfire79 Wrote: Now that I've had a few days to mess around with my Chromebox, I'll note a few issues.

-Sometimes Kodi doesn't boot up at all. I'm stuck with a blank black screen with my HDMI input selected. I find that I have to start the Chromebox and shut it down several times before OpenElec boots up which is annoying. I've tried different HDMI cables and various inputs on my receiver. I don't have any USB drives or keyboards connected at the time of start up. Every few attempts and it will finally bring up the OpenElec boot screen. I usually wait about 30 seconds to a minute before shutting it down and starting it back up. When it does finally boot up, it only takes a few seconds as discussed on various threads. It's very strange and I'm starting to think it's an issue with the OS install. My Playstation and Cable box on the same HDMI inputs work just fine.

that's not normal at all. Your AVR is on / set to the correct input when the ChromeBox is turned on? Can you replicate this when connected to another display (eg, computer monitor)?

Quote:-And randomly Kodi will reboot out of the blue for no reason, and I haven't added any repos as of yet. I used the same settings as suggested from the pricklytech link. It doesn't happen very often, but when I'm switching from different menus within Kodi, it will reboot suddenly. Usually it doesn't take me back to the OpenElec boot screen, but flashes for a couple of seconds and sends me back to the main interface menu.

I'm not sure if these problems are connected or just a common OpenElec issue with the Chromebox.

neither of these are normal/common issues, especially with a fresh install. Almost makes me think there's an issue with the box itself
I've been using the Chromebox a bit more since my last post. I actually disconnected my cable box for an entire week as an attempt to introduce the cord cutting life. My original issue still occurs on start up. Sometimes when I manually push the power button, the screen remains black as if it hasn't booted. The Chromebox power light is on and my receiver shows zero input from audio. If I reboot the system from my Yatse app, the system will start up. I've just been living with it and haven't been overly frustrated. The second issue that I discussed last week hasn't happened since the first couple of days with OpenElec. The system hasn't awkwardly and suddenly shut off which is good news. Overall it's been a great experience, and I'm hoping that this was a great investment for the remainder of 2015.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recommendations0