• 183(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Hmm - suspect RGB to YCbCr conversions (unless your TV is doing different things in RGB Full and YCbCr - Limited? ) I'd expect ITU 709 RGB to YCbCr to be used - not Rec 2020 - for HD content...

Your point is based on two different greens I guess? (Though there is also some nasty edge enhancement on the 1080p stuff as if sharpness is being added on output or in the display - which will mask detail...)

The other issue to remember is that 4:2:0 YCbCr has 1/4 the chroma resolution of 4:4:4 RGB so UI details may show chroma-smearing on fine detail - though this doesn't have impact on video which in the consumer level is universally 4:2:0 (TV, DVD, Blu-ray etc.)
(2016-05-26, 14:01)noggin Wrote: Hmm - suspect RGB to YCbCr conversions (unless your TV is doing different things in RGB Full and YCbCr - Limited? ) I'd expect ITU 709 RGB to YCbCr to be used - not Rec 2020 - for HD content...

I'm pretty sure on the Shield that 4k@60/59 is using Rec 2020, while at all the other resolutions/frame rates is using Rec 709. I do wonder what 4k@60/59 without HDCP 2.2 active would be, but not sure how I would test that, maybe hook up an old HDMI cable?

(2016-05-26, 14:01)noggin Wrote: Your point is based on two different greens I guess? (Though there is also some nasty edge enhancement on the 1080p stuff as if sharpness is being added on output or in the display - which will mask detail...)

Yeah, except it's not just the greens, but that was the easiest to show. I noticed the edge enhancement too, and I'm pretty sure that's all the Shield. Not sure how to fix that, since I don't use any upconverting on my receiver or edge enhancements/options on the TV.

(2016-05-26, 14:01)noggin Wrote: The other issue to remember is that 4:2:0 YCbCr has 1/4 the chroma resolution of 4:4:4 RGB so UI details may show chroma-smearing on fine detail - though this doesn't have impact on video which in the consumer level is universally 4:2:0 (TV, DVD, Blu-ray etc.)

Yeah I looked up the difference after I noticed my Apple TV 4, NUC, and Samsung UBD-K8500 were all outputting YCbCr 4:4:4. The only thing with YCbCr 4:2:0 is the Shield @ 4k 59/60Hz, so I'm guessing that's the issue. I guess I'll see if I can put in something with NVIDIA.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2016-05-26, 14:25)timstephens24 Wrote: I'm pretty sure on the Shield that 4k@60/59 is using Rec 2020, while at all the other resolutions/frame rates is using Rec 709. I do wonder what 4k@60/59 without HDCP 2.2 active would be, but not sure how I would test that, maybe hook up an old HDMI cable?

If you are seeing 24-bit color, then it cannot be in Rec. 2020. Shield sets Rec. 2020 only for 10 (30)bit output. Are the pictures that you have posted screen captures taken from Shield? I haven't noticed any apparent color difference between 1080p or the different 4K modes, but I will look into it.
(2016-05-26, 16:19)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 14:25)timstephens24 Wrote: I'm pretty sure on the Shield that 4k@60/59 is using Rec 2020, while at all the other resolutions/frame rates is using Rec 709. I do wonder what 4k@60/59 without HDCP 2.2 active would be, but not sure how I would test that, maybe hook up an old HDMI cable?

If you are seeing 24-bit color, then it cannot be in Rec. 2020. Shield sets Rec. 2020 only for 10 (30)bit output. Are the pictures that you have posted screen captures taken from Shield? I haven't noticed any apparent color difference between 1080p or the different 4K modes, but I will look into it.

No, I took them with my phone. If I took a screenshot with the Shield they were both in 1080p, not the resolution that was set in the settings.
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
If I am not mistaken, I remember reading that the SPMC 16.1 supports 3D ISO - is that correct? I received my Shield today and setup SPMC and tried playing a 3D ISO file, but it didn't play in 3D (even though it was identified by SPMC as 3D)
(2016-05-31, 05:08)the_jaguar Wrote: If I am not mistaken, I remember reading that the SPMC 16.1 supports 3D ISO - is that correct? I received my Shield today and setup SPMC and tried playing a 3D ISO file, but it didn't play in 3D (even though it was identified by SPMC as 3D)

the shield can't play 3D, it can only passthrough the poor mans codings like SBS or TAB and the TV will do the 3D. On a ISO you get MVC and there no real chance that nVidia will implement that.
Hi Guys,
i have a small (big?) problem with sound using passthrough in Kodi.
my setup is: nVidia shield + LG PK950 + Yamaha amplifier
my connection is Shield >>> (HDMI) >> TV >> (SPDIF - sound only) >> Yamaha
dont ask why - my amplifier has a problem with signal at 1080p60 and sound (screen is disapiring for few seconds), so i conntect my devices directly to TV, and sound (by SPDIF) directly to amplifier. it works.

but Shield has no SPDIF connector, so i connect it to TV, and from TV (only by SPDIF) to amplifier. all works.

problem is, that i have only 2ch sound. I switch on the passthrough and it almost works. i say almost, because sometimes (almost always) after few minutes, something is going wrong - sound disappear and sound starts to be constant noise (like no signal in old TV). sometimes its enough to stop movie and start again, but sometimes not - then i have to turn off passthrough (it always is ok). sometimes i can see whole movie with no problems (with passthrough). do you have any idea, what i have to do?
thanks!
(2016-06-01, 23:40)Zagenator Wrote: what i have to do?

You only have 2 channels, so leave Passthrough Off, and your problem is gone.
(2016-06-02, 07:05)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2016-06-01, 23:40)Zagenator Wrote: what i have to do?

You only have 2 channels, so leave Passthrough Off, and your problem is gone.

no no - i have movie with dts/dd 5.1 source. but with passthroug on, reciever decode only 2 ch. with passthrough on it decode 5.1 ch. Smile
You need to read what you wrote, as that makes no sense.
So you're setup is this, right?

Shield -> TV -> Receiver/Amp

In the Shield make sure you have it set to 5.1 for the audio, and then passthrough for DTS and DD, but not for DTS-HD MA and not for TrueHD, and see if that helps you. I'm just guessing here though...
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
I have an Nvidia Shield and new Vizio P55. When I set my resolution to 1080p 60Hz and play 23.976 content (no refresh rate switching) I seem to get microstutters and unsmooth playback. If I set the resolution to 1080p 59.94Hz everything is fine.

Does anyone know if the Shield or maybe MediaCodec is doing the 3:2 pulldown at 60Hz and my TV is doing the same, possibly causing this issue?
(2016-06-03, 05:22)timstephens24 Wrote: So you're setup is this, right?

In the Shield make sure you have it set to 5.1 for the audio, and then passthrough for DTS and DD, but not for DTS-HD MA and not for TrueHD, and see if that helps you. I'm just guessing here though...

first, yes - that's my setup connections.

but i don't know, where (in Shield) i can change the audio settings to 5.1 and passthrough. i have only settings for USB audio (stereo, stereo HQ and 5.1). that's all. Sad
@movd why aren't you letting Kodi switch to 23.976hz for those files ?
(2016-06-05, 23:02)Zagenator Wrote:
(2016-06-03, 05:22)timstephens24 Wrote: So you're setup is this, right?

first, yes - that's my setup connections.

but i don't know, where (in Shield) i can change the audio settings to 5.1 and passthrough. i have only settings for USB audio (stereo, stereo HQ and 5.1). that's all. Sad

In Kodi settings, not Shield settings.
  • 183(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9