• 82(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Hi to all ! I've ordered shield tv imported from US , here to Greece and i have two questions (well maybe more) if anyone can help. From what i read , DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD are not supported yet by KODI . But if i install a nightly build ( jarvis branch ) there is support for 7 channel PCM decoding . I will have my shield connected to my yamaha rx-377 receiver . What audio will i get when my mkv file has DTS HD or D TrueHD ? Will it have any difference from (downgrade) from pure passthrough ? And what exactly is this PCM decoding anyway ? If i choose not to decode will it play the DTS core soundtrack i assume ? And lastly , until passthrough gets enabled in Kodi , what is the better solution between PCM decoding and DTS core ?
My second question is if the refresh rate changer will work . I have a Panasonic 50VT30 Tv and i am worried because i am reading that some users are reporting problems especially with the nightly builds which i am forced to use if i want the audio decoding to work .
(2015-10-06, 18:43)fonky82 Wrote: And what is the Problem with it ? I was thinking with Kodi can i play 3D Iso

Only if the hardware has support for MVC decoding.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-10-06, 19:05)oDium Wrote: Hi to all ! I've ordered shield tv imported from US , here to Greece and i have two questions (well maybe more) if anyone can help. From what i read , DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD are not supported yet by KODI . But if i install a nightly build ( jarvis branch ) there is support for 7 channel PCM decoding . I will have my shield connected to my yamaha rx-377 receiver . What audio will i get when my mkv file has DTS HD or D TrueHD ? Will it have any difference from (downgrade) from pure passthrough ? And what exactly is this PCM decoding anyway ? If i choose not to decode will it play the DTS core soundtrack i assume ? And lastly , until passthrough gets enabled in Kodi , what is the better solution between PCM decoding and DTS core ?
My second question is if the refresh rate changer will work . I have a Panasonic 50VT30 Tv and i am worried because i am reading that some users are reporting problems especially with the nightly builds which i am forced to use if i want the audio decoding to work .

If you install Jarvis and have the audio settings correct you will get up to 8 channel LPCM output (maybe, keep in mind Jarvis is still in alpha). All that is is Kodi doing the decoding instead of your AVR and audibly you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Basically all that means is Kodi decodes the audio track and then sends the uncompressed raw data to your AVR.

As for auto refresh rate switching, it may or may not work depending on your system/setup. You won't know until you try, and even if it doesn't work at the beginning there may be a work-around to get it working.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-10-06, 20:01)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-10-06, 19:05)oDium Wrote: Hi to all ! I've ordered shield tv imported from US , here to Greece and i have two questions (well maybe more) if anyone can help. From what i read , DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD are not supported yet by KODI . But if i install a nightly build ( jarvis branch ) there is support for 7 channel PCM decoding . I will have my shield connected to my yamaha rx-377 receiver . What audio will i get when my mkv file has DTS HD or D TrueHD ? Will it have any difference from (downgrade) from pure passthrough ? And what exactly is this PCM decoding anyway ? If i choose not to decode will it play the DTS core soundtrack i assume ? And lastly , until passthrough gets enabled in Kodi , what is the better solution between PCM decoding and DTS core ?

If you install Jarvis and have the audio settings correct you will get up to 8 channel LPCM output (maybe, keep in mind Jarvis is still in alpha). All that is is Kodi doing the decoding instead of your AVR and audibly you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Basically all that means is Kodi decodes the audio track and then sends the uncompressed raw data to your AVR.

As for auto refresh rate switching, it may or may not work depending on your system/setup. You won't know until you try, and even if it doesn't work at the beginning there may be a work-around to get it working.

I think it is important to note that Dolby Atmos will remain an issue until passthrough is working. While I understand those affected are in the minority, I count myself as one and hope to see this feature added quickly.
Sony 75X940C, Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 x Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 1 x Martin Logan Motion 50XT, 2 x Martin Logan Motion FX, 4 x Martin Logan Motion 4, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, Sony X800 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
Plex Server: Intel Skull Canyon NUC, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro
NAS: Synology DS2415+ (5 x 10TB, 2 x 6TB, 5 x 4TB)
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here is using 3D films in Kodi.
My films H-SBS and H-TABs play fine but my Optoma HD131X doesn;t automatically switch the 3D mode on my projector so I have to do it manually.
I also have a Mede8er box which changes the source based on the 3d Media.

Not sure if this issue is Android / Nvidia Shield or Kodi related.

Any information or experiences from other 3d fan would be most appreciated.

Cheer
Server: FreeNas 9 NAS: 6*3TB - Kodi Sql Database
Kodi Systems: Nvidia Shield Pro, G-Box Q (OpenElec), RikoMagic MK802 IV[
Skin: reFocus
Think you can simply name your half-rez 3D files properly and almost any media player with Kodi should play back in 3D. Full rez 3D is a different story as media player must have MVC decoding support.

Also, please add your voice for 3D support for nVidia Shield here.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-10-06, 23:45)chunk_1970 Wrote: Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here is using 3D films in Kodi.
My films H-SBS and H-TABs play fine but my Optoma HD131X doesn;t automatically switch the 3D mode on my projector so I have to do it manually.
I also have a Mede8er box which changes the source based on the 3d Media.

Not sure if this issue is Android / Nvidia Shield or Kodi related.

Any information or experiences from other 3d fan would be most appreciated.

Cheer

Is this really a possible feature?

Never heard of TV/Projector autodetecting 3D content to change the mode via Kodi.

I know Kodi can autodetect it, but I am not sure how it should tell the device which mode to use.
Hdmi cec allows this
Hi there,

I have a question about Kodi on shield.

For now the autoframerate doesn't work on my unit, but I've read that'll be fixed in the 15.2 final.
My question is about the the 24p framerate :
Does Kodi on shield can output 24.000hz for 24.000hz content, and 23.976 for 23.976 content ?

Thank you Smile
(2015-10-07, 12:40)frenshprince Wrote: Hi there,

I have a question about Kodi on shield.

For now the autoframerate doesn't work on my unit, but I've read that'll be fixed in the 15.2 final.
My question is about the the 24p framerate :
Does Kodi on shield can output 24.000hz for 24.000hz content, and 23.976 for 23.976 content ?

Thank you Smile

yes it can Wink
Good to know, thank you Smile

So two more Big Grin

1) Can we change/add Kodi shortcuts Keyboard ?

2) I only have a Harmony remote IR, and as you know, some buttons don't work.
And especialy one very important : Contextual menu (X on pad, C on keyboard).
Is there something I can do about that ?

Thanks Smile
(2015-10-07, 13:46)frenshprince Wrote: Good to know, thank you Smile

So two more Big Grin

1) Can we change/add Kodi shortcuts Keyboard ?

2) I only have a Harmony remote IR, and as you know, some buttons don't work.
And especialy one very important : Contextual menu (X on pad, C on keyboard).
Is there something I can do about that ?

Thanks Smile

Assuming that the IR signals are being received by the Shield, you should be able to use the Keymap Editor plugin in Kodi to map those buttons to whatever function(s) you want. If that doesn't work, you can snag one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY

That remote works flawlessly in both the Shield UI and Kodi. Use your Harmony to learn all of the buttons from that Remote, then use Keymap Editor (and/or tweak the userdata/keymap .xml files) to configure the buttons to do whatever you like; this is the route that I went with my URC remote. The little IR receiver that comes with the remote I linked above is very responsive. I don't have any Harmony remotes anymore to test this with (former 880, One, and 900 user), but there's no reason for it not to work.
Image Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files - http://jell.yfish.us
Guys, I am planning to get this, how well does this runs Kodi in terms of 1080p/ 4K at different refresh rates and frequency (23.98fps, 30Hz, 60Hz) with the 5.1 setup (my soundbar only supports Dolby Digital 5.1, I know it sucks) over optical SPDIF so I would have to get a HDMI to optical converter.
(2015-08-10, 16:14)samboy Wrote: Does anyone know if there is planned support for better 1080p->4k scaling options in Kodi? (e.g. Lanczos3) Even if it means no hardware acceleration......

it would be interesting to know what will be the "best" scaling and deinterlacing option with shield + kodi (in the future). at the moment i use a htpc (amd + win 8.1) and lanczos3 + va deinterlacing gives me a very good picture quality. will lanczos3 and a better deinterlacing method (than actual) be available in the future or is this not possible because of limitations of android or shield?
(2015-10-07, 21:37)Ed76 Wrote:
(2015-08-10, 16:14)samboy Wrote: Does anyone know if there is planned support for better 1080p->4k scaling options in Kodi? (e.g. Lanczos3) Even if it means no hardware acceleration......

it would be interesting to know what will be the "best" scaling and deinterlacing option with shield + kodi (in the future). at the moment i use a htpc (amd + win 8.1) and lanczos3 + va deinterlacing gives me a very good picture quality. will lanczos3 and a better deinterlacing method (than actual) be available in the future or is this not possible because of limitations of android or shield?

Hope so. I sent mine back because I didn't realize/forgot that Kodi on Android didn't have the advanced video options like being able to adjust sharpness, which is something that's important to me. This is why I've kept my OpenELEC HTPC, even though I'd like to switch to Android TV.
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9