• 136(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-12-18, 16:30)freebits Wrote:
(2015-10-02, 05:13)wesk05 Wrote: Edit: This doesn't seem to affect Kodi playback.

This is bad... I wouldn't recommend anyone who values picture quality to update to OTA 2.0. Grayscale and colors are all messed up in OTA 2.0. As can be seen from the chart below, there are serious errors in OTA 2.0
The chart shows the RGB bit values of reference test patterns (played on native Android Video Player). It is read directly from the HDMI output of SATV using the color checker function of DVDO AVLab TPG 4K UHD pattern generator.

Hi wesk,

Tested Shield TV firmware 2.1 in 2160p RGB mode with DVDO TPG and TED's disc finding strange RGB values i.e. White 256 186 235 while expecting 235 235 235.

Did you have the similar results? I know 1080p RGB mode shows the very low Delta E values and it looked good generally. Only 2160p shows strange RGB values.

Thanks.

That is an old post and the 2.0 black level issue was taken care of with 2.1. However, there is another issue with color levels which has been documented here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...valuation/
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-12-18, 16:22)falc410 Wrote: I'm thinking about getting a SHIELD to replace my HTPC (which is not capable of 4K output). I have just some questions about the SHIELD.

1. You are already discussing problems with Standby. Can the SHIELD be turned off? I know that the Amazon Fire TV from my father does not have a power switch. The problem is, my NAS only goes into standby if Kodi's IP is not reachable anymore. And also Kodi sends a Wake-on-LAN Magic Packet to the NAS. Is this both possible with the Shield as well? Can I turn it off and also install WoL Addon?
2. I already googled around and apparently I can use the Harmony Remote (which some smaller issues) to control the Shield. If it is possible to turn it off, can the Harmony also turn it back on?
Hi,

I replaced my Haswell nuc with this for 4k and love it.

Yes harmony works fine on and off you might have to program the buttons a bit.

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
(2015-12-18, 17:20)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-12-18, 16:30)freebits Wrote:
(2015-10-02, 05:13)wesk05 Wrote: Edit: This doesn't seem to affect Kodi playback.

This is bad... I wouldn't recommend anyone who values picture quality to update to OTA 2.0. Grayscale and colors are all messed up in OTA 2.0. As can be seen from the chart below, there are serious errors in OTA 2.0
The chart shows the RGB bit values of reference test patterns (played on native Android Video Player). It is read directly from the HDMI output of SATV using the color checker function of DVDO AVLab TPG 4K UHD pattern generator.

Hi wesk,

Tested Shield TV firmware 2.1 in 2160p RGB mode with DVDO TPG and TED's disc finding strange RGB values i.e. White 256 186 235 while expecting 235 235 235.

Did you have the similar results? I know 1080p RGB mode shows the very low Delta E values and it looked good generally. Only 2160p shows strange RGB values.

Thanks.

That is an old post and the 2.0 black level issue was taken care of with 2.1. However, there is another issue with color levels which has been documented here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...valuation/

Thank you but I've also seen his post in geforce forum about the weird result of 2160p mode. His 1080p results with DVDO TPG is same to me so only 2160p RGB has strange issue. And he didn't post the result of 2160p.

Quote:So, I checked 1080p 23.976/50/60 and 4K 23.976/50/60. It certainly is now back to what it was in firmware 1.1. I did notice that 4K 50/60 can be RGB 8-bit output if there is no YCbCr 4:2:0/HDCP 2.2 and there was some weird grayscale and color errors for those modes. I will have to look into those once again before commenting further. Otherwise, everything looks OK.
(2015-12-19, 03:47)freebits Wrote: Thank you but I've also seen his post in geforce forum about the weird result of 2160p mode. His 1080p results with DVDO TPG is same to me so only 2160p RGB has strange issue. And he didn't post the result of 2160p.
Sorry! didn't have time to follow up on that.
I have to ask again. Is it only me that have these various audio out of sync issue with KODI on Shield?
I have a media collection with different audio-formats
It is mainly DVD-rips and Blu-ray rips. For most of the blu-rays I have just used the DTS-core (due to the incompability for DTSHDMA in my old Boxee box).
These files are playing perfectly fine in my old setup with boxee box. Actually I have no audio sync issue whatsover with any of the old players (a boxee box, PS3, PS4 and a cable setup box).

I have a fixed delay in my Denon receiver that syncs the audio with all these players...but not when it comes to KODI on Shield (if I use the built in android player it works fine).
The problem is not the same for all files (some files works fine). It seems to vary for different types of codec and audio formats. It is not a minor problem, sometimes I have to delay the audio up to 200ms in the KODI settings to get a good sync. All I want is the shield to output a stream their audio and video is in sync, but that does not seem possible, or?

I have KODI 15.2, A Denon 1911 and a Sony TV from 2013. Hardware acceleration disabled and audio output is PCM (passthrough disabled)

I have not yet been able to see a pattern, but today I watched a DolbyDigital movie with very bad sync and yesterday a DTS movie with good sync. So it could be audio codec related.
I have the Shield Pro and disappointingly I get a lot of freezes with the Kodi app. Very disappointing as PQ is great and navigating menus is nice and snappy.

Seems to seize up when I try installing or uninstalling addons whilst its doing something else (like a library update).
The shield has its own settings for audio delay adjustment. Noticed similar anomoly when both the surround receiver and tv speakers were on, fixed it right up. For my setup I think it was a delay with the optical output from the tv to my receiver.
I have the shield audio delay set to 0 and the hdmi set to 50hz. In kodi I have auto switch frame rate enabled. I am all on hdmi using my recevier as hdmi switch and the tv is always set to hdmi 1 from the receiver. I dont have any optical or audio return setup and I always use the receivet sound (TV speakers always muted).
Using the built in player or ES media player seems to not have this problem
[Kodi 16 Jarvis] Android Audio pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!! - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852
I know this isn't a kodi question but can anyone tell me if they get the shield showing up in the chromecast mobile app?
I feel like it needs to be set up to stream at higher quality and I can't see how to do that. .have similar issues with the iPlayer streaming quality. .youtube looks great.
(2015-12-20, 22:31)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [Kodi 16 Jarvis] Android Audio pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!! - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852
Did some tests... mostly awesome, but a couple of minor issues I think:

I have a 7.1 system...
- TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-HD MA 7.1 are perfect!
- ATMOS and DTS:X down-map to 7.1 just fine (I don't have an ATMOS or X capable set-up yet)
- DTS-HD MA 5.1 and TrueHD 5.1 play rear surrounds via sides instead (not correct I think)
- Standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 also play rear surrounds via sides instead (not correct I think)

Haven't tried any Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD HR or LPCM 5.1/7.1 tracks yet.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-12-21, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-12-20, 22:31)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: [Kodi 16 Jarvis] Android Audio pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!! - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852

I have a 7.1 system...
- ATMOS and DTS:X down-map to 7.1 just fine (I don't have an ATMOS or X capable set-up yet)
- DTS-HD MA 5.1 and TrueHD 5.1 play rear surrounds via sides instead (not correct I think)
- Standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 also play rear surrounds via sides instead (not correct I think)

This is really great news! I will try it in the evening.
(2015-12-21, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote: Did some tests... mostly awesome, but a couple of minor issues I think:

Actually, that is the normal behavior. In a 5.1 setup there are no rears, only side surrounds. http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-...tial-guide
(2015-12-21, 10:47)abpostelnicu Wrote:
(2015-12-21, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote:

I have a 7.1 system...

Can you please post your audio settings within KODI ..thanks
(2015-12-21, 12:14)mahockey Wrote:
(2015-12-21, 10:47)abpostelnicu Wrote:
(2015-12-21, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote: Did some tests... mostly awesome, but a couple of minor issues I think:

I have a 7.1 system...

Can you please post your audio settings within KODI ..thanks

here you go:

Number of channels: 2.0
Stereo upmix: checked
Maintain original volume on downmix: checked
Enable passthrough: checked
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: checked
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding: NOT checked
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver: checked
DTS capable receiver: checked
TrueHD capable receiver: checked
DTS-HD capable receiver: checked