• 8(current)
[RELEASE] Rapier 8.8.15 for Kodi 15 Isengard [DEPRECATED]
... aaand there is still a bug with the 'subtitles' submenu I'm afraid. The menu still often disappears. It is still an improvement, though.

Here's how to reproduce: load some subtitles, so that the menu will show all 4 options 'active'. Mouseover the icon, then go up to the menu (with a mouse), then try moving the mouse up and down through all the options - the menu will disappear in a second or two.

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems the menu disappears when the mouse pointer lands exactly in-between the two consecutive options in the menu - while it should only disappear after moving the pointer out of the menu entirely. I'm thinking that because the similar effect of the menu disappearing happens after you move to the right or to the left of the selected option, while after moving the mouse to exactly the same spot right after the icon (so, without selecting any option beforehand), the menu still stays.

All the best,
ms
(2015-08-04, 12:33)msys Wrote: ... aaand there is still a bug with the 'subtitles' submenu I'm afraid. The menu still often disappears. It is still an improvement, though.

Here's how to reproduce: load some subtitles, so that the menu will show all 4 options 'active'. Mouseover the icon, then go up to the menu (with a mouse), then try moving the mouse up and down through all the options - the menu will disappear in a second or two.

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems the menu disappears when the mouse pointer lands exactly in-between the two consecutive options in the menu - while it should only disappear after moving the pointer out of the menu entirely. I'm thinking that because the similar effect of the menu disappearing happens after you move to the right or to the left of the selected option, while after moving the mouse to exactly the same spot right after the icon (so, without selecting any option beforehand), the menu still stays.

Hi ms.

Yeah, I was already aware of that glitch. There's a 2 pixel gap between the buttons, and if the mouse points to that, the dialog will lose focus and disappear.

I'm currently working on a fix that i like. I have found several, but not a perfect one yet Smile

Confluence doesn't have that issue because the buttons have a 0 pixel gap.

(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: Speaking of which, I am a programmer by profession, and skin programming in Kodi still looks like witchery to me Smile... I've actually compared 8.2.6 with 8.2.7 and... the 'Fake button for mouse control' tipped the scales Smile. Are there any tools (other than syntax-aware editors) that would help at least analysing / visualising the skin code?

Haha, it also takes quite a while to learn - and it's a never-ending learning process.

It is sooooo time consuming and extremely fun.

The Kodi wiki has a lot of tutorials and info for skinners, and also here on the forums are a lot of great stuff.

I'm coding in Notepad++ on Windows 7 with a XBMC skin plugin. A lot of guys do their coding using SublimeKodi. I use the XBMC Skinning Tool for checking of values, brackets, fonts, labels, includes, ID's etc etc. There are a couple of other apps for dealing with language files, textures and other stuff.

(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: Is there any chance for the view like "list info", but taking the whole screen, instead of just a bottom half of it? 'list info 2' doesn't quite cut it, but it is close to it with the 'normal' view style, just the thumbnail on the left is constant ('global') for all the selected rows instead of changing per file like in 'list info'. Or maybe adding the view styles like full/half screen to 'list info' would be the cleanest way of doing this?

I use List Info View myself for movies and tv shows, so I'm very interested in every way this view can be improved.

But I'm not quite sure I'm following you. Isn't this mostly what List Info 3 View offers?

Creating List Info View in full screen is interesting, although I have difficult seeing how things would fit with the poster and info?

(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: I also cannot find any reasonable view for add-ons in Rapier which will show a description on a mouseover - something like a 'list', but showing the description below the thumbnail, instead of only the thumbnail at the right side of the screen.

I use List Info for add-ons myself.

Maybe a view like Thumbs Info (look in music albums) would work better for add-ons?

What exactly did you have in mind?

(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: btw sometimes changing the view mode for 'list info 2' hangs the whole Kodi for good, but I doubt it is the Rapier's fault.

Hmmm... I can't recreate that on either OSX, Windows 7, IOS or OpenElec...

Cheers
Gade
I just updated from xbmc 12 and installed this latest addon. Whats with the manage option on right click, and where did the "Update library" option go?
(2015-08-07, 21:14)therock003 Wrote: I just updated from xbmc 12 and installed this latest addon. Whats with the manage option on right click, and where did the "Update library" option go?

Hi therock003.

Going from XBMC Frodo (12.x) to Kodi Isengard (15.x) is quite the update. So you will see a lot of changes and new features both in Kodi and in Rapier Smile

The Manage button in the context menu is for editing and managing the item. That is a feature of Kodi and has nothing to do with the skin.

The Update Library button has been removed from the context menu and is now in the top options menu bar (click the extra options button - number 3 from left).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Gade
Oh man that's harsh, cant it be added back to the right click dialog. Its something i use often, and i cant go into clicking the cog and then navigiting to the option
(2015-08-07, 23:35)therock003 Wrote: Oh man that's harsh, cant it be added back to the right click dialog. Its something i use often, and i cant go into clicking the cog and then navigiting to the option

Sorry, but I already have a lot of extra buttons added to the context menu, so more buttons is not an option.

What you can do though, is to add the Update Library as a submenu button to your videos, movies or tv show category. You can do this in the skin settings.

Another option is to edit your keymaps file and map the function to a button on your keyboard or remote.
Thanx. My remote buttons are already maxed out. Could you point out how to add it as a submenu option?
(2015-08-08, 19:54)therock003 Wrote: Thanx. My remote buttons are already maxed out. Could you point out how to add it as a submenu option?

All skin settings are explained in the wiki page.

Let me explain in detail.

You have up to 7 submenus for each category.

To delete / add / edit a submenu, go to Skin Settings -> Home -> Category Submenu.

Select the category you would like to edit.
  • Delete (example): If you wish to deactivate the existing submenu number 3, enable submenu button 3 - but do nothing else.
  • Add (example): If a category has 6 submenus, you can enable button number 7 to add a submenu in the end.
    Choose Preset. Click Path -> Videos -> Update Library. Click Label and enter your preferred label (maybe "Update Library"?).
  • Edit (example): If you wish to edit submenu number 3, enable submenu button 3.
    Choose Preset. Click Path -> Videos -> Update Library. Click Label and enter your preferred label (maybe "Update Library"?).

That's it.
That settled it.

A final thing troubling me is that the Rapier skin background looks messed up. It behaves in a way that is mirroring an icon and displays it enlarged on the center of the screen. Thats a kodi 15 issue. I cant even take a screenshot cause it blocks my screen capture app when kodi is running. Lots of strange behaviors on this 15 release. Not your fault i know, but i'm not liking the transition.
(2015-08-08, 22:45)therock003 Wrote: A final thing troubling me is that the Rapier skin background looks messed up. It behaves in a way that is mirroring an icon and displays it enlarged on the center of the screen. Thats a kodi 15 issue. I cant even take a screenshot cause it blocks my screen capture app when kodi is running. Lots of strange behaviors on this 15 release. Not your fault i know, but i'm not liking the transition.

That happens when you are using the version of Rapier from Github with uncompressed texture files. Did you install that one instead?

If you look inside the skin.rapier/media folder, you should only have a Textures.xbt file. If you have multiple files, that's the issue.
Is the link on the forums instead? I couldnt find it
(2015-08-09, 13:59)therock003 Wrote: Is the link on the forums instead? I couldnt find it

You should either install the official version from inside Kodi:

System -> Add-ons -> Install from repository -> Kodi add-on repository -> Skin -> Rapier -> Install.

Or you can install the development version from my own repository (this version will always be newer than the official - but may contain bugs):

Download my repository here.

System -> Add-ons -> Install from zip file -> navigate to the downloaded zip file -> Install.

When my repository is installed:

System -> Add-ons -> Install from repository -> Gade's Add-on Repository -> Skin -> Rapier -> Install.

When one of the above steps are completed, you will always automatically receive the newest versions of Rapier.
Thanx man Wink
(2015-08-05, 22:53)Gade Wrote:
(2015-08-04, 12:33)msys Wrote: ... aaand there is still a bug with the 'subtitles' submenu I'm afraid. [...]
[...]Yeah, I was already aware of that glitch. [...]
Confluence doesn't have that issue because the buttons have a 0 pixel gap.
Confluence doesn't have this glitch, but I suppose the reason is slightly different: try to move the mouse off the option (to the left or to the right of it) and in Confluence the option stops being highlighted but the menu still stays on the screen, while in Rapier the menu then disappears.
(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: Speaking of which, I am a programmer by profession, and skin programming in Kodi still looks like witchery to me Smile... [...]
Haha, it also takes quite a while to learn - and it's a never-ending learning process. [...]
Thanks for the pointers. It seems that I simply don't have THAT much time for entertainment these days Smile. Maybe some time later...
(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: Is there any chance for the view like "list info", but taking the whole screen, instead of just a bottom half of it? 'list info 2' doesn't quite cut it, but it is close to it with the 'normal' view style, just the thumbnail on the left is constant ('global') for all the selected rows instead of changing per file like in 'list info'. Or maybe adding the view styles like full/half screen to 'list info' would be the cleanest way of doing this?
I use List Info View myself for movies and tv shows, so I'm very interested in every way this view can be improved.
But I'm not quite sure I'm following you. Isn't this mostly what List Info 3 View offers?
The only issue with 'list info' I have (but a big one) is a wasted screen estate. That's why I suggested some option to switch off top half of the screen.

'List info 3' is nice for when you want to look at the art but not when looking for textual information: there, again, 2/3 of the screen is taken by pictures and the column with selection is very narrow because of that. I wouldn't change 'list info 3' though, as I like it for when I'm just randomly browsing through TV series.
(2015-08-05, 22:53)Gade Wrote: Creating List Info View in full screen is interesting, although I have difficult seeing how things would fit with the poster and info?
Yup, these would somehow need to get smaller then but on the other hand, sometimes (more often than not!) I'd like to have more text information on the screen at the cost of some posters/icons being smaller. If there would be a need to remove these, I wouldn't cry much Smile but maybe just shrinking the poster horizontally to the width of the left column would be sort of ok then?

All of this only as an option of course...
(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: I also cannot find any reasonable view for add-ons in Rapier which will show a description on a mouseover - something like a 'list', but showing the description below the thumbnail, instead of only the thumbnail at the right side of the screen.
I use List Info for add-ons myself.
Yes, I am forced to use 'list info' too but using it for add-ons gives a perfect example of what I've written above: the top half of the screen shows nothing.
Also, maybe my memory is failing me Wink, as I cannot reproduce this but there are situations where you can only select 'thumbs' or a 'list' (and not 'list info') and I'd rather avoid thumbs for anything, that's why I suggested some small improvement to the 'list' view.
(2015-08-05, 22:53)Gade Wrote: Maybe a view like Thumbs Info (look in music albums) would work better for add-ons?
What exactly did you have in mind?
I don't really like thumbs - that's obviously my personal preference but hopefully shared among people used to reading a lot.
I wanted you to take a look at a simple modification (well... relatively simple probably Smile ) to the 'list' that would allow for showing more information on the right, below the icon.
(2015-08-04, 10:29)msys Wrote: btw sometimes changing the view mode for 'list info 2' hangs the whole Kodi for good, but I doubt it is the Rapier's fault.
Hmmm... I can't recreate that on either OSX, Windows 7, IOS or OpenElec...
Don't worry about this one much, it is just I've probably cramped in too many add-ons, so this happens sometimes.

Regards and thanks for reading this Smile
ms
I've another question, hopefully related to the skin, so maybe it could be solved in Rapier somehow...

Switching through multiple subtitles is extremely inconvenient in Kodi, at least with a mouse or a gamepad/controller. There might be some keyboard shortcuts for this, but what can you do when the keyboard is not around?

First, there is a 'next' option, but it needs two mouseovers and then a click and it has an added 'twist' of disappearing after cycling through all the subtitles, so you need to look for a different option in slightly different place to turn these back on (to me it looks like a very strange design choice). Second, there is a suboption that allows for selecting the subtitles from a list (via 'audio and subtitle settings') but it requires even more clicks/keypresses. Every other player I know does this right, why not Kodi?

Is there some other way of switching between different subtitles? It would be useful for many reasons, like learning new languages etc. If not, allowing for a shortcut to the list of available subtitles (like another button among the existing ones in VideoOSD) or at least to 'subtitles -> next/enable' would imho be immensely useful.

Speaking of shortcuts, what is the quickest way of quitting from kodi from within Rapier's VideoOSD via a mouse? Assigning mmb for a fullscreen and then doing mmb and closing the window does not count Smile

Thanks,
ms
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Rapier 8.8.15 for Kodi 15 Isengard [DEPRECATED]2