Access Kodi Library via Internet (away from home)
Other than this guide, is there an accepted way to watch the contents of your Kodi library via the internet (away from home)?

I realize of course that Plex exists. However, I really don't care for it many reasons, including the kludgy interface and the fact that it doesn't scrape my library 1/10th as well as Kodi does. I have 1000s of video files and XBMC scrapes them with 100% success (I check occasionally using the Missing Movie Scanner addin for Kodi), whereas Plex will miss more than half of my content.

FWIW, my library is stored on my FreeNAS server and my Kodi installations (14.1) run on Intel NUCs running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

My goal is that when away from home, I can use Android phone or tablet or Windows PC to access my entire Kodi library via the internet.
MediaBrowser?
I'm accessing my video collection remotely, using ftp. It works great. 99% of the files play fine. I created two profiles, one for at home and one for away. This won't share the library, keeping track of what you watched and all, but you can watch everything fine. You just need to setup an ftp server.

I'd advise you to use ftps (although modi has a scanning issue on ftps right now, but the fix should be in 14.2) but it keeps your credentials safe on strange networks.

Remco
(2015-03-08, 22:42)kno1 Wrote: I'd advise you to use ftps (although modi has a scanning issue on ftps right now, but the fix should be in 14.2) but it keeps your credentials safe on strange networks.

You meant Kodi, not modi, right?

So... are you using Kodi on your remote PC to access (via ftps) and watch your content? Or did you mean that you use FTPS + [some generic video player] to play remotely?
I've been looking at this right now as well (Remote streaming solution). I haven't tried it yet, but I was looking at a UPnP Media Server. I was actually looking at http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/about/ PS3 Media Server because it allows on-the-fly transcoding. I was thinking I could setup a VPN to my home network be able to accomplish something like what you're talking about. I haven't done any of this so I'm not sure how easy it is to adjust the on-the-fly settings for higher or lower bandwidth situations.
I hope you can find a good solution, as I'd be interested as well.

I don't hate Plex, but the more I've used it the easier I realize that it is for such a setup. If you only don't like it because of the way it scrapes you could use something like Filebot https://www.filebot.net/ I don't use it but it would allow you to control the scrapping, or you could scrape in Kodi and then export the database to single files so that Plex uses the NFO files from Kodi.
(2015-03-09, 15:53)soonerlater Wrote: You meant Kodi, not modi, right?

So... are you using Kodi on your remote PC to access (via ftps) and watch your content? Or did you mean that you use FTPS + [some generic video player] to play remotely?

Damn you, autocorrect. Indeed, I meant kodi.

Yes I use kodi on my tablet to watch my video files hosted at home on a ftp server. No transcoding or anything needed. Only a high enough upload rate. In fact, I have my parents and my family doing the same. I placed a simple kodi client at their homes, and they watch from my ftp server. Long live fiber to the home.

Remco
Oh, just one thing, subtitles won't download to an ftp source, so if you want to use subtitle download, you need to tell kodi to download to a local folder. It will then look for subtitles in that local folder and next to the video file on the server.
+1

FTP source works really good and is easy to set up.
Beebox N3150 - LibreELEC 7.90.009 | Synology DS212+ NAS 6TB
Panasonic DMP-BD65 bluray | Yamaha RX-A3030 AVR - Kef KHT3005SE 5.1 speakers | Optoma HD87 projector - Exclusiv-Home 2.8m 16:9 screen
To access your Kodi library remotely from your Android phone, tablet or box, simply use BubbleUPnP Server

It will take your Kodi UPnP server and publish it over the internet to any Android device. If you want to have it available to another Kodi client say running on Windows, just run the BubbleUPnP Tether client on the machine you want to have access to your remote Kodi.

If you are using an Apple device, you don't deserve access to your library remotely Rofl

As for Plex and Mediabrowser, Plex is super solid, super easy to use and can read the Kodi metadata. I personally use Plex for Movies and TV Shows remotely and BubbleUPnP for stuff not in my library since it can read the Kodi soures.xml

Mediabrowser is getting there but it's not ready for primetime in my opinion. Kodi is hands down the best for local media.

If you want to have the exact same matches in Plex like you get with Kodi, Export your Kodi library to separate files and have Plex use the XBMC NFO Importer. Problem solved.

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
Hello, is there a way to access the Kodi Video add-ins with other clients on your LAN like a Roku or Plex Channel ?
Nope
Sad Is anyone working on a solution to this?
I have a TV in my bedroom that I would like to access the Kodi channels.
I only have a Roku stick hooked up to that TV so I can use Plex and its channels but not Kodi and its channels Sad
(2015-03-09, 19:00)kno1 Wrote:

Yes I use kodi on my tablet to watch my video files hosted at home on a ftp server. No transcoding or anything needed. Only a high enough upload rate. In fact, I have my parents and my family doing the same. I placed a simple kodi client at their homes, and they watch from my ftp server. Long live fiber to the home.

Remco
Mind elaborating a little further? I am looking to do this same thing but cannot get it to work.I have my ftp setup. Can't figure out things on the kodi end.
(2016-02-12, 06:14)Crizzo Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 19:00)kno1 Wrote:

Remco 
Mind elaborating a little further? I am looking to do this same thing but cannot get it to work.I have my ftp setup. Can't figure out things on the kodi end. 

Did you ever sort this?
(2017-11-16, 21:57)imagineers Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 06:14)Crizzo Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 19:00)kno1 Wrote: Damn you, autocorrect. Indeed, I meant kodi.

Remco 

Did you ever sort this? 
Hi everyone; can someone please show me how to setup the remote access control like step by step??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Access Kodi Library via Internet (away from home)1