Case for RPi v2 and HifBerry DAC+
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a reasonably priced case for the RPi v2 with a HifiBerry DAC+ (3.5mm jack version, although I don't mind having to drill a hole for that jack), as the official HifBerry one seems very overpriced compared to most cases and is apparently not even particularly sturdy, so isn't very good value for money.

Ideally I'd like something with some vent holes in the top to allow some heat to escape, although the DAC+ board does block the heat rising from the Pi, so I'll probably drill a couple of holes in the sides to facilitate ventilation. I don't want one of those completely open sided cases though, as I want to provide some protection for the boards.
But why HiFiBerry DAC+?
Why don't you get a generic USB Audio instead?
Or even one with good reputation, but if you really want a sort of hifi, you should avoid analog.
I haven't read anywhere that the DAC+ doesn't have a good reputation. The advantage compared to generic USB Audio is that it uses less resources and is designed for the RPi, so is properly supported.

I can't avoid analog as my brother needs to connect to his analog amp.
ISTR that the Pi works a lot better with I2S audio solutions like the HiFiBerrys (which leverage the SoC digital audio stages still) than it does with USB Audio? So the HifiBerry DAC+ may well be a much better bet than a USB Audio output device for the Pi?
I2S alsa will be a lower cpu solution in general (DMA handles transferring samples from memory to device). USB is a more expensive protocol.
Anyhow,
is there a rational behind using another HW than what is already on RPi?
I have seen no specifications of the HiFiBerry, not even what chipset is used and what analog amplifier it has.
Are you absolutely sure that you are going to get anything better than the embedded RPi DAC?
I'd like to see at the schematics for both.
Having digital output is completely different story, as you are going to use the DAC of your amplifier, that is supposed
to be dimensioned according to the amplifier itself.
(2015-03-07, 15:19)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: Anyhow,
I have seen no specifications of the HiFiBerry, not even what chipset is used and what analog amplifier it has.
Are you absolutely sure that you are going to get anything better than the embedded RPi DAC?
Having digital output is completely different story, as you are going to use the DAC of your amplifier, that is supposed

So you're questioning the benefit of the DAC+ whilst admitting you know nothing about it!

Considering that the RPi doesn't actually contain a proper DAC, it seems pretty obvious that the DAC+ will improve the analog output, as is confirmed by the many satisfied people who have actually used it.

Perhaps we can get back on-topic and stick to discussing cases now.
(2015-03-07, 15:19)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: Anyhow,
Very much so.

The Pi and Pi2 don't have a high-quality audio DAC on-board, and instead generate audio using a PWM solution. This has significantly compromised audio quality. You don't really get much above 15kHz in audio terms, and stuff above this is quite distorted. The noise floor is also quite high I believe, though this was improved with the B+ a bit.

For a £25 PC it's acceptable, but you wouldn't want to feed it into a HiFi for quality listening, and of course the HDMI output is fine.

Quote:I have seen no specifications of the HiFiBerry, not even what chipset is used and what analog amplifier it has.

The HiFiBerry uses a decent quality Burr-Brown DAC and runs at up to 192kHz (not that I'm a major fan of >48KHz sampling in general.) It has a decent low noise regulator as well, to minimise CPU interference on its output.

It doesn't have a built-in power amp, though there is an other device from the same people that has a 25W amp integrated I believe.

Quote:Are you absolutely sure that you are going to get anything better than the embedded RPi DAC?

The Pi doesn't really have a DAC in the conventional sense - and even the Pi Foundation guys wouldn't claim the analogue output was HiFi quality. That is why people who want analogue (or digital Toslink/Coax - as there are I2S converters that do this instead) are using them. They have a significantly lower overhead than the USB solutions.
I didn't know about the pwm DAC, it's something that can be used for budget tablets and mobile phones, but not for home music listening
What about tihs DAC instead?
http://www.tjaekel.com/T-DAC/raspi_rca.html
And why not to use flat cable for connecting, so that you get no real mechanic limitations?

I'm also interested in making a jukebox with RPi1, and the more I learn the better the result will be.
(2015-03-07, 16:12)doveman2 Wrote: Perhaps we can get back on-topic and stick to discussing cases now.

Those cases are easily extendable by ordering some spacers with them. Drilling the necessary holes is probably an easy exercise.
(2015-03-08, 17:44)FlowT Wrote:
(2015-03-07, 16:12)doveman2 Wrote: Perhaps we can get back on-topic and stick to discussing cases now.

Those cases are easily extendable by ordering some spacers with them. Drilling the necessary holes is probably an easy exercise.

Yes - and they are very neat cases too. The little light-pipes that let you see the power and activity LEDs are a very neat bit of engineering.

I have a Pi 2 running an Asterisk server in one. Very neat, and with the possibility of extending the height with spacers, versatile too.
(2015-03-08, 17:44)FlowT Wrote: Those cases are easily extendable by ordering some spacers with them. Drilling the necessary holes is probably an easy exercise.

Thanks, they look pretty decent. They even have a spare hole drilled already, although it's not quite in the right place for the DAC+'s 3.5mm jack https://www.hifiberry.com/product/hifibe...lus-phone/ and I don't think I'll need any spacers. I might drill some vent holes in the top though, just to help keep the temperatures down a bit (on the previous case I made from a VHS tape box, I cut a big square hole and put mesh on the inside to keep fluff out but the lid on this is probably not big enough to do that without weakening it too much) Just the case and SD cover comes to £7.19 + £2.99 shipping totalling £10.18, which is reasonable for a decent case and the shipping's the same for two, so I think I'll get one for my brother and one for myself.

My only concern is whether the RPi v2 will actually fit properly. I know the layout is the same as the B+ but I've read reports that there's some minor changes, such as thicker edges, that mean it won't necessarily fit in a case designed for the B+. As noggin says he's got his v2 in one though, I guess it's not a problem with these.
My Pi 2 fits into my ModMyPi Black case with no problems at all.
(2015-03-09, 00:03)noggin Wrote: My Pi 2 fits into my ModMyPi Black case with no problems at all.

Cool, I'll order a couple then.
pi-supply now have them for £12 specifically for the HiFiBerry

By the way, I've just ordered a HiFiBerry Dac for my Pi2 - will this be better quality than going through HDMI to my Onkyo amp? I assume that the amp does the work of a DAC? If so, will it be the same quality?? Forgive me, I'm not that technical when it comes to this!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Case for RPi v2 and HifBerry DAC+0