Case for RPi v2 and HifBerry DAC+
(2015-03-09, 01:29)sidneysides Wrote: pi-supply now have them for £12 specifically for the HiFiBerry

By the way, I've just ordered a HiFiBerry Dac for my Pi2 - will this be better quality than going through HDMI to my Onkyo amp? I assume that the amp does the work of a DAC? If so, will it be the same quality?? Forgive me, I'm not that technical when it comes to this!

The HiFi Berry Dac is simply doing the same job as the DAC in your Onkyo. The HiFi Berry does a much better job than the internal analogue output solution in the Pi and PI 2, but I don't know how it compares to the internal DAC in your Onkyo. I wouldn't think you would need a HiFi Berry if you have an HDMI Connection to your Onkyo

If you use your Onkyo over HDMI you'll get Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreamed and multichannel PCM over HDMI, which you won't over an analogue stereo connection from the HiFiBerry DAC, so if you have 5.1 speakers and watch 5.1 content on your Pi then you won't get that with the HiFi Berry DAC.
(2015-03-09, 01:29)sidneysides Wrote: pi-supply now have them for £12 specifically for the HiFiBerry

That's just the poor quality (going by reviews) RCA one that HiFiBerry make though.
I'm not sure how I can fix the RPi and Hifiberry into the Modmi case, so I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas?

The problem is that the metal screws to secure the RPi can't be used as the Hifiberry comes with plastic supporting struts that are meant to go through the holes in the RPi, secured with nuts on the underside, with the Hifiberry sitting on these threaded struts and secured to them with plastic screws.

The struts won't screw into the case through the RPi holes in place of the metal screws, as the thread doesn't match but even if I could fix that, it would mean trying to then lower the DAC onto the GPIO header without being able to properly see it and the board, like the RPi, has to be inserted at a bit of an angle to fit the jack into the matching hole which I made.

The hole is hidden at the back and near the top of the case, so I guess I could remove the material above the hole to open it up so that I could lower the DAC in level. It's still going to be tricky to get it onto the header though, so it would be better if I could join the RPi and DAC outside the case, then lower them both in together. For that I'd need to drill out the RPi screw holes in the case so that they go through the bottom and the threaded part of the strut could poke though, with a nut on the outside of the case to secure it. This will probably cause the case not to sit flat though and I'm not even sure that the threaded part of the strut is long enough for this to work.
Did you ever manage to fit the Rpi with dac+ phone jack version into the Modmypi case? I have a ModMyPi Modular RPi 2 Case and am considering buying a hifiberry dac+ with phone jack

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Case for RPi v2 and HifBerry DAC+0