Can Kodi avoid almost-duplicates of artists names?
Could the music library scan have an option to ignore the word "The" in artists' names?

I had Kodi scan my hard drive, where I have all my ripped CDs, and I now have separate artists listed for "Beatles", "The Beatles", and "Beatles, The".

It would also be nice (though probably much more complicated) if the scanner knew that "Vivaldi" and "Antonio Vivaldi" and "A. Vivaldi" were the same person. Or if there were an option to tell it so.

Thanks!
Better all round to fix your tagging.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-07, 01:35)nickr Wrote: Better all round to fix your tagging.

agreed. well worth the time and effort to implement the musicbrainz tags into your library. I spent the time doing this about 6 months ago and it was very worth it. I followed the instructions in the thread linked below. thanks to @helta

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198670
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
But that appears to be about mp3 compressed recordings. What about FLAC (that I'm using nearly exclusively)?
FLAC is also tagged. Kodi uses the tags.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
um. Looks somewhat like starting a career. Think I'll just put up with the split up artist groupings..

Thanks
Ok, I gave-in and spent most of a day and part of a night trying the "fix my tagging", all this to cut down on having annoying multiple names for artists, and hoping to get a few more artists images and album covers than I had. I followed what I understood to be the process shown on the musicbrainz/picard site (starting with the link given above). Clustering, scanning, etc, had Kodi/OpenELEC clean its library, and 'scrape' the hard disk files again, hours to do each time. Redid variations on the the process a number of times (probably stupdily), changing settings per what I found on forums and the picard help pages. Those were not very helpful, really, they seemed to often refer to UI arrangements other than what the current version actually installed and talked about things (that were often no longer there) to click on at musicbrainz (when I tried to go through there to get some missing album covers that I had images for to show up in my library).

What an uholy mess this has made of my library! I do now have the Beatles down to only two (from three) artists names, "Beatles" and "The Beatles", so I guess that's a small plus. But Vivaldi is now up to [b]nineteen[/b] artist listings now! I tried editing the tags to have "Antonio Vivaldi" listed as Artist and AlbumArtist, and "Vivaldi, Antonio" as the "artistsort" tag on all such album folders, it only seemed to get progressively worse. Now some albums I have no longer appear in the library selectors under the artists' names at all (none of them, when under dupe-listed artist's names!), though those album folders are still there on my hard disk, and if I look at the tags in picard (which I am getting sick of messing with, btw!) the album has the proper artist name in its tag. Mysteries.

I feel like an idiot not having backed up my library before getting into this (yes, I know.... but I thought "why not wait till I get the tags fixed before backing up"... dumb, dumb, dumb).

The sad thing is that I'm even a professional programmer (Win32) and engineer (signal processing), but I can't seem to get a good handle on the made-up jargon used in musicbrainz/picard, nor to have a certain understanding of what some of the actions actually do to the FLAC files (or is it: to some file in the Kodi library? -- what does what action to what data, where, anyway?).

Is there a solid description somewhere of what goes on so I can try to make my library into something other than the presently existing pages of cds, mostly without album cover art, (including some albums that I never had!?!); and artists with multiple names but usually without their images? The simplistic sounding "cluster" this, "scan" that, "save" whatever, "scrape" steps given are not giving me what I need. I really need what each step does/undoes in more than two unhelpful lines of jargony text.

What I really would like is to get back to the ultra-dumbed down process I used to use on my old music player. With that, I just used EAC to rip the disks to folders and to find and include album covers in the folders. I put album folders within another folder under the artis's' name, with a jpg picture of the artist if I had it. Then, the crude but usable player listed the albums (or folders of multiple albums), alphabetized by the artists names (as I gave them when I named the folders), and showed any images I included. That did all I needed -- except to allow me to play my audio library without needing a video screen attached, which is why I went to Kodi. I really have no interest nor use at all for having tracks tagged with artists' birthdays or dietary preferences nor reviews of the albums nor where the album release parties were held and who attended! Just the named FLAC tracks, with the associated album cover art (that I already had, thanks to EAC) and the artists names that I grouped them under, with photo. Is there any way to get back to that while still using Kodi/YATSE's videoscreenless remote operation? I want to listen to music, not play with libraries.

Either that or can someone tell me the steps I am missing (or shouldn't be doing) that is making such an gawdawful mess in my library selection?

(rant off..... thanks for your attention....., sorry about the angst)

Public service message: back up your folders, folks, before picarding!
LOL I love your post, particularly
Quote: I really have no interest nor use at all for having tracks tagged with artists' birthdays or dietary preferences nor reviews of the albums nor where the album release parties were held and who attended!

You are not the only one to have found picard confusing. Having said that, tagging is complex. Particularly when you get into classical, which doesn't fit into the traditional fields used for rock albums.
Bwaslo,

I would recommend bliss (www.blisshq.com) to sort out your library. It costs money, but is well worth the expense. Bliss won't eliminate some manual tagging but it will do the heavy lifting for you more sensibly than Picard in my experience.

Make sure to read the 'music library management blog' at the same site which explains the ins and outs of well, music library management, in gory detail. It's actually very well written.

Ian
I've not laughed so hard when reading a post for long while, but yeah even as a musiclover, I'm totally with you there. I think I understood pretty well what was going on in the music library until the unholy musicbrainz integration was introduced. Now I'm pretty much lost. First thing I did was turning everything musicbrainz related off in kodi, even though I don't think it is even possible to turn everything off.

I'd advise against the use of picard and have never heard of bliss. I use the free program mp3tag. Do you have all Beatles albums in one folder? If so, load that folder with mp3tag and put "The Beatles" in the artist and albumartist fields and that's it. You can even load all your tracks in mp3tag but it's manual work, so it will take quite a while.
Does mp3tag work with flac files?
Can anyone tell me how to clear the Library, to start it up as if new (other than a new OpenELEC install)? I want to try to get it to get all its info without outside sources, see if that gets rid of most of the unwanted nonsense.

My wishlist for Kodi: Provide an ITFT* option checkbox. So it will categorize only from folder names (artists, then albums inside artists' folders).

*"Ignore The Frigging Tags"
(2015-03-22, 20:20)nickr Wrote: Does mp3tag work with flac files?

Yupp
'Ignore the frigging tags'

You can just use file-mode...

Even if there were an ITFT mode then you would still need to ensure all your files and folders were completely consistent in their naming. And if you're going to do that you may as well spend the time to get your tags in order...

There really are no easy fixes to organising your music library. Apps like bliss will help with the grunt work but there's going to be a fair amount of manual tagging to start with.

And as others have said, it's best to avoid Musicbrainz and especially Picard unless you really know what you're doing and appreciate the consequences.

Ian
File mode won't control (can't select tracks nor see any graphics) through YATSE, so that's a non-starter.

My folder names are already completely consistent, since EAC does the album folders under their names and puts all the tracks of the ripped album in there. And I've already dragged the album folders into artist folders (doable in approximately no time with simple Windows file explorer). I did try to get my tags in order (via picard) before, which produced a major mess that I now have to try to fix. I'll try MP3Tag to see if I can get simple tagging working on the only two fields that I care about in the least.

I'll have a look at some other players (if I can control one without having a video screen hooked to the audio system, such as via Android pads like YATSE does) to see if they have less aggressive organization goals. I only need and want three things: Artist names (as I give them) and Album names on the folders, the tracks in the album folders. Easy as heck using EAC, and worked fine with my old crappy WDTV media center (which unfortunately needed a wired video screen to control with).

It is an extremely easy fix to organize my way, and I could play music with it right away. But apparently it requires adopting a new database manipulation hobby to get Kodi to organize equivalently with the tags.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. I'll report back if I have any luck getting kodi library to just act like a simple album collection (arranged on shelves together with an artist name) like I had back in the 70's!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Kodi avoid almost-duplicates of artists names?0