HTPC case question
Are the Silverstone GD08 / GD07 the only cases available where you can use an internal blu-ray drive + an SSD drive (for OS) + 3 or 4 mechanical drives? I recently sold my HTPC parts (including an old GD08 case) and I'm planning to do a new Skylake build. I can't seem to find any new horizontal cases that would meet those requirements and still sit on my tv shelf. I think the Fractal Nose 605 has too many compromises. The GD08 was fine but got extremely dusty. It was also very cumbersome to work with (I had to use about 13 zip ties and replacing a hard drive was essentially like performing open heart surgery). Anyone find anything?
(2015-03-07, 19:42)pbmpharmacist Wrote: Are the Silverstone GD08 / GD07 the only cases available where you can use an internal blu-ray drive + an SSD drive (for OS) + 3 or 4 mechanical drives? I recently sold my HTPC parts (including an old GD08 case) and I'm planning to do a new Skylake build. I can't seem to find any new horizontal cases that would meet those requirements and still sit on my tv shelf. I think the Fractal Nose 605 has too many compromises. The GD08 was fine but got extremely dusty. It was also very cumbersome to work with (I had to use about 13 zip ties and replacing a hard drive was essentially like performing open heart surgery). Anyone find anything?

Have a look to Streacom and their FC10 chassis.
Here's the drive Capacity:

Minimum 2 x 3.5″ + 3 x 2.5″,
Maximum 5 x 3.5″ + 4 x 2.5″
And an optical drive bay.

It's fanless all in aluminium with a nano PSU for power supply.

http://www.streacom.com/products/fc10-al...s-chassis/
Thx. I was looking at it earlier today and I'm no t sure where to buy it here in the USA. It's not available from reliable retailers like Amazon, newegg, ncix. Also the wording about the drives (minimum/ maximum) is confusing. Can you use 4 hdd s and still use a video card? You can with the silverstone gd08. I'm just surprised there isn't more out there. Makes me nervous to think I may have to drop $340 for a case just to avoid another silverstone gd08.

Maybe I should just get a NAS? SYnology ds415+? Then I'd only need an SSD and a bluray drive in a HTPC.
In fact I'm in France and there's reseller there. No video card IMHO. If you can go for a Synology a friend of mine earn this model and there's a lot of positive feedback. Then just buy the new nuc in Broadwell i3 or i5
(2015-03-07, 22:35)Roosvelt Wrote: In fact I'm in France and there's reseller there. No video card IMHO. If you can go for a Synology a friend of mine earn this model and there's a lot of positive feedback. Then just buy the new nuc in Broadwell i3 or i5

Maybe I'll go with a NAS. if anyone else comes up with anything please let me know. I'm not in a hurry.
I think lot of people will propose you a chromebox
(2015-03-07, 22:54)Roosvelt Wrote: I think lot of people will propose you a chromebox

I'm not sure that would work for me or not. I used my old HTPC with Windows 8.1 for KODI to play blu-ray rips with bitstreaming HD audio along with streaming Amazon Instant Video, Comcast Video, and iTunes. I used it for all kinds of things.
Ok so go for a nuc
I'm still looking for a case that meets my specifications. I wouldn't get a ton of use out of the NAS features.
I use a GD06 and have 4 mechanical drives, 1 ssd drive, and a Blu-ray drive in the same case.
And two of the drives are super easy to change. Two just require a little work. The ssd is the hardest to change
(2015-03-08, 23:34)LazerBlue Wrote: I use a GD06 and have 4 mechanical drives, 1 ssd drive, and a Blu-ray drive in the same case.
And two of the drives are super easy to change. Two just require a little work. The ssd is the hardest to change

Cool, I'll look into that thanks.
For long term, I recommend the data + kodi client separation, which in a few words is a NAS + set-top-box/Chromebox/Pi2/etc.
If you get the correct NAS, it can be years before you touch it again for any hardware or software upgrades.
Kodi, it might be even less than a year! This particular area is changing fast, way too fast.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-03-09, 22:56)shabuboy Wrote: For long term, I recommend the data + kodi client separation, which in a few words is a NAS + set-top-box/Chromebox/Pi2/etc.
If you get the correct NAS, it can be years before you touch it again for any hardware or software upgrades.
Kodi, it might be even less than a year! This particular area is changing fast, way too fast.

As I've said, I'm not sure that would work for me or not. I used my old HTPC with Windows 8.1 for KODI to play blu-ray rips with bitstreaming HD audio along with streaming Amazon Instant Video, Comcast Video, and iTunes. I used it for all kinds of things. Unless I'm missing something, a chromebox can't do all that.
(2015-03-10, 00:00)pbmpharmacist Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 22:56)shabuboy Wrote: For long term, I recommend the data + kodi client separation, which in a few words is a NAS + set-top-box/Chromebox/Pi2/etc.

As I've said, I'm not sure that would work for me or not. I used my old HTPC with Windows 8.1 for KODI to play blu-ray rips with bitstreaming HD audio along with streaming Amazon Instant Video, Comcast Video, and iTunes. I used it for all kinds of things. Unless I'm missing something, a chromebox can't do all that.

If you want to put a graphic card the FC7's streacom chassis can match your queries
There are good Windows alternatives as well, look into the Zotac ZBOX BI320, plenty of topics about it. Same for HP Stream Mini.

Also, FYI, some NAS devices have an Itunes server. I have no idea what your requirements are though.

But just as a kick, heck, even Chromebox can run Windows off a USB hard drive.
How to run Windows on an HP or Asus Chromebox!
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC case question0