• 2(current)
Win HOW TO - Configure a Logitech Harmony Remote for Kodi
Edit...My question was whether Smart Hub allowed control over Kodi via its web interface. The answer is no. However, Smart Hub-enabled remotes are purported to offer improved performance in reducing latency over older remotes when sending commands by IR.
I updated Post #8 with the disclaimer that reliance on MCE Keyboard over Windows Media Center SE is up to experimentation and the preference of the user.
Just a quick question. After I've set up the Harmony Remote to start tv, switch to kodi etc. Can I then use the same Harmony Remote to control kodi?
(2015-03-12, 21:55)stuartgreig1978 Wrote: Just a quick question. After I've set up the Harmony Remote to start tv, switch to kodi etc. Can I then use the same Harmony Remote to control kodi?
Yes you can Smile
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

(2015-03-12, 21:55)stuartgreig1978 Wrote: Just a quick question. After I've set up the Harmony Remote to start tv, switch to kodi etc. Can I then use the same Harmony Remote to control kodi?

You should have read the guide. That was the whole point of writing it.
(2015-03-11, 03:19)Warner306 Wrote: I updated Post #8 with the disclaimer that reliance on MCE Keyboard over Windows Media Center SE is up to experimentation and the preference of the user.

In my experience, Windows Media Center SE is a much better choice with a lot of control keys available on Win 7.
(2015-03-13, 23:10)bodhi Wrote:
(2015-03-11, 03:19)Warner306 Wrote: I updated Post #8 with the disclaimer that reliance on MCE Keyboard over Windows Media Center SE is up to experimentation and the preference of the user.

In my experience, Windows Media Center SE is a much better choice with a lot of control keys available on Win 7.

Why is it a better choice? MCE Keyboard offers far more choices and all of them map directly to the Kodi keymap. I think the arrow keys and player controls have less latency when using Windows Media Center SE. But I can't think of a reason to simply use one over the other. Using both seems to be the way to go. You have twice as many choices when using both.
@ Warner306,

You're absolutely right. It's best to use both. I was thinking about the case when you have to choose between the two, when you've reached the devices limit (7 or 8 with the Harmony 700 or 650).
Thanks for your great guide. Really helped me to setup my Logitech Harmony Touch remote.
On your guide, you speak about "alt+F4" to close directly Kodi. Official command is "ctrl+end". Is there a way to add this via the harmony software or to change the shortcut in kodi? (right now i'm trynig to find a solution)
(2015-03-14, 19:13)Mydriaze Wrote: Thanks for your great guide. Really helped me to setup my Logitech Harmony Touch remote.
On your guide, you speak about "alt+F4" to close directly Kodi. Official command is "ctrl+end". Is there a way to add this via the harmony software or to change the shortcut in kodi? (right now i'm trynig to find a solution)

Alt+F4 closes Kodi. Try it on your keyboard.
@warner,

You might find this useful. I don't know how up-to-date the info I've included in this post (it's been a while).

How to bind a Harmony key with an XBMC action
(2015-03-15, 02:53)bodhi Wrote: @warner,

You might find this useful. I don't know how up-to-date the info I've included in this post (it's been a while).

How to bind a Harmony key with an XBMC action

I already described that process but added the link anyways as an additional resource.
Great thread, really. But why a XBMC profile already exist on the Logitech database? It's just a question...
(2015-03-08, 07:49)Warner306 Wrote: 6. REDUCING LAG & IMPROVING RESPONSIVENESS

Perhaps there should be some info about for certain Harmony remote, such as the 700, inter-device delay is set on the remote itself.
(2015-03-15, 17:13)Mydriaze Wrote: Great thread, really. But why a XBMC profile already exist on the Logitech database? It's just a question...

I haven't looked at the profile, so I don't know. What I do know is most Kodi commands simulate keyboard presses, so it makes more sense to use devices that emulate keyboard presses. This makes it much easier to create a keymap. I am willing to bet the XBMC profile uses generic commands such as "Info," "Guide," "Play," "Pause," etc. and is very limited in its command selection. The Harmony database contains thousands of devices and some profiles are overlooked as a result. From what I've read, the profiles pitched in the guide (MCE Keyboard and Window Media Center SE) offer a wider selection of available commands and map directly to the Kodi keymap.

So, you might be able to get away with using the XBMC or Plex profiles with some fiddling, but you are better off using the profiles recommended in this guide. You get the benefit of having a seemingly infinite selection of commands with database names that map directly to Kodi functions. If your keymap is very basic, however, the XBMC or Plex profiles might have everything you need.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Configure a Logitech Harmony Remote for Kodi6