Kodi (MP3, Plex)
Hello all, for last 1 month I'm trying to find a proper solution for my wishes:

1. to have own FTP with DLNA server (movies and music collection on external HDD) -> solved with new router ASUS RT-AC68U
2. streaming youtube, chrome web searching to TV by WiFi -> solved with Chromecast
3. watch (stream) movies or music from my DLNA server (over router) to iPhone (iOS) or Android (phone, tablet) or TV-chromecast -> NOT SOLVED YET

3.1 first I've tried PLEX -> on computer side it was slow/loading time... -> need to pay for an iOS app -> I've deleted this option (but good streaming option to chromecast)

3.2 secondly I've downloaded some apps on my iPhone to directly stream from my DLNA server -> problems with AC3 sound

3.3 then I've discover MB3 (mediabrowser 3)
-> PROS: fast streaming, app for Android and iOS
-> CONS: my computer must be turned ON all the time (as SERVER), no add-on

3.4 searching again and discovered KODI/XBMC (best day in my last month Smile )
-> I've integrated MB3 into KODI
-> PROS: Working on PC really good, fast; I can watch movies, tv series ...
-> CONS: * I can't use XBMC on my iPhone (can't JB it with 8.1.3), on Android there is a way to install it
** I can't stream to TV over Chromecast (of course I've tried to "share" full screen mode inside Chrome, but it was laggy picture -> unwatchable
*** still I need to have all the time my computer ON -> because of MB3 server

Q1: Can anyone advice me how to move on for my wishes ?
Q2: is there any other cheap solution to have "low power consumption server" which is connected directly on router and on which I can install KODI+MB3 server -> how then stream to TV over chromecast ? -> is one of solution for me perhaps "Google Nexus Player" ??!?

Thank you all for support and your time.Rofl
Kodi is about playing the media you have locally (ie your ripped dvds, blurays and cd's, and stuff you might get elsewhere.

The primary use is on a computer (running android, ios, osx, linux, windows) connected to your TV via HDMI.

Your media can be stored on that device, or somewhere else on your network.

Kodi does not support Chromecast, but it does support upnp to compatible devices that will play the media without it being transcoded.

For your needs, I think mediabrowser sounds like the right solution. Having a server turned on is pretty well a requirement for watching media stored on the server.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi (MP3, Plex)0