Linux Remove GUI on Raspberry Pi
Hi,

I'm using Kodi 14 on my Raspberry Pi, connected to my SmartTV. I found some guides teaching how to build a minimalist Raspberry Pi image.

Can anyone tell me if I remove the GUI packages, my Kodi will still work?

Packages suggested to remove:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge xserver.* x11.* xarchiver xauth xkb-data console-setup xinit lightdm lxde.* python-tk python3-tk scratch gtk.* libgtk.* openbox libxt.* lxpanel gnome.* libqt.* libxcb.* libxfont.* lxmenu.* gvfs.* xdg-.* desktop.* tcl.* shared-mime-info penguinspuzzle omxplayer gsfonts

Thanks!
Why do you not just use a OpenELEC or RaspBMC/OSMC build image for Raspberry Pi?

Or otherwise checkout XBian or Raspbian?

Better to start small and add stuff rather than start large and have to remove stuff?
I was unable to use OpenELEC and Xbian because of a WiFi driver that isn't in Kernel.
I had to compile it, but I ran into problems on these distros.
Everything worked like a charm on Raspbian.
(2015-03-09, 14:48)gaucho_guapo Wrote: Hi,

I'm using Kodi 14 on my Raspberry Pi, connected to my SmartTV. I found some guides teaching how to build a minimalist Raspberry Pi image.

Can anyone tell me if I remove the GUI packages, my Kodi will still work?

Code:
sudo apt-get purge xserver.* x11.* xarchiver xauth xkb-data console-setup xinit lightdm lxde.* python-tk python3-tk scratch gtk.* libgtk.* openbox libxt.* lxpanel gnome.* libqt.* libxcb.* libxfont.* lxmenu.* gvfs.* xdg-.* desktop.* tcl.* shared-mime-info penguinspuzzle omxplayer gsfonts

Thanks!

In answer to your question no that will not work. What version of Openelec have you previously tried.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Thanks for your answer!
I haven't tried Openelec. Just Xbian and Raspbian.

Just a quick question. What if I remove the GUI only? lxde?
Will it work?
(2015-03-10, 22:51)gaucho_guapo Wrote: Thanks for your answer!
I haven't tried Openelec. Just Xbian and Raspbian.

Just a quick question. What if I remove the GUI only? lxde?
Will it work?

No. You can't just remove LXDE. What is the Wifi adaptor you are having issues with? Xbian and Raspbian are both based on Debian so I imagine the hardware support is largely similar. Openelec may be different, why not give it a try.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2015-03-09, 14:48)gaucho_guapo Wrote: Can anyone tell me if I remove the GUI packages, my Kodi will still work?

Code:

Why not try? Backup your sdcard (e.g. with win32diskimager) and run the purge command. Check if Kodi still works.
If it doesn't and it complains of missing libraries then install them. If you can't get it working revert to the backup.

But in theory, yes. Kodi doesn't depend on x11 or lxde so there are packages that can be removed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remove GUI on Raspberry Pi0