DVDPlayer - DVD-Video (VobSub) subtitle placement
Lightbulb 
DVD's use overlay bitmaps. These are often placed over the movie area when they could in fact be placed a little lower and outside the area of the movie (even with 16:9 screen).
It must be possible to move the Y-offset that the bmp is drawn from. Moving the subtitle up and down with the dpad or something would be nice
It's not done this way for a very good reason:

Subtitles and DVD Menus are the same as far as a dvd is concerned. They're both handled exactly the same way.

You don't want menus moving about now do you?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

No menues should stay in place hehe. Isn't it possible to add something like

if (subtitleoverlay == true)
{
yoffset = yoffset + setting
}

I really hate subtitles but the wife demands them, so it's annoying when they are over the movie area and not in the black borders where there is pleanty of room
I'm not sure whether that is possible or not. Will ask our dvdplayer devs next time they're around.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Cool, thanks man! I know I'm not alone with this request, friends of mine has expressed the same
there is not any completly accurate way to differentiate between normal subs and menu overlays. there is something called forced subs wich normally only are menu overlays, so that could be used. however there is also the issue with how to handle subtitles for hearing impared, wich is supposed to end up at specific locations on screen.

i'm not saying it's impossible, but it does require that we finally fix how subtitles are rendered. they are rendered onto the image instead of separated onto screen. i'll have to see how one would do this properly.

elupus, thanks for picking this up! If there is a way to distiguish between "normal" subs and those that must appear at a special X,Y offset, I think only the "normal" subs should be moveable.

I don't follow why "rendered onto image" or "spearatly onto screen" makes a difference. It's just different canvases and same rules/offsets can be used or am I wrong?

I guess it's all a matter of knowing what is subs and menues etc and put in the Y-offset handling code with these conditions

Hope you find a good and easy way to do this. Thanks again
Yep, you're wrong if you want them down in the blackbars on a 4x3 set for instance.

I think they should always start at 0 Y-offset. Don't think one certain offset will work for all. However when you have moved the subs, the offset could be saved in database so that they are placed correctly the next time you watch the movie
it's also a the matter of complete rewrite of osd handling code. the code used for mplayer can't be used as it's monochrome, and you can't be sure where stuff end up.

like jmarshall said it's a huge difference in how stuff is rendered. only the active part of the image (ie what actually has a picture) is given to our renderers. if you wanted to put subs below the active image, you'd have to expand the image with black bars. and this is quite inefficient, this should be handled by the gpu instead, so untill we have a osd renderer we won't do anything to add this feature.

Ok, I understand. Too bad then... There are more importent features needed so don't give this a high priority Smile
Question 
Would or could this apply to a possible 'custom resizing/zoom scalability for vobsubs' as well?
...or I'm I getting totally off-topic? Eek
Yes vobsubs should be moveable too.

DVD subs resizing is usefull too. They are sometimes very very big

Left/right d-pad could decrease/increase size
Up/down d-pad could change offset

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVDPlayer - DVD-Video (VobSub) subtitle placement0