Android Box vs Raspberry Pi 2
Hello all. I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct forum.

First of all, I am a NOOB when it comes to GoogleTV/Android Boxes and Raspberry Pi. I am looking at both solutions, and I see they both support Kodi. There are many 3rd party add-ons.

I guess my first question is whether these apps work for both hardware setups, or does the developer have to create a version for each? Is Kodi for Pi the same as Kodi for GoogleTV or another Android box? If not, what seems to have the bigger following?

Second question, I see a lot of the Google boxes being rooted? Is this really necessary for some of these plug-ins? Does the Pi need some sort of 'Rooting', or do OSs like OpenELEC already have Root?

I guess that should get me started for now. I truly do thank you for any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Mike
Kodi on RPi is just Kodi for linux, it however, depends which "linux" you run on your RPi. OpenELEC being one version of linux that is available to run on the RPi.

Otherwise the "android" boxes run kodi for android.

And yes, OpenELEC is "rooted" already
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I was holding off until the android TV boxes to come to market, particularly the razor forge TV. But that ship sailed when they announced the RPi2, apparently Android still has issues with refresh rates and HD audio passthrough which was the key factors for me. I just needed a player that can play 1080P with DTS audio which the Pi can and hopefully with some work H.265.

Both will work but you have to decide whats most important to you and what you need, I wanted the forge TV mainly coz of hardware and the google ecosystem but mostly for a proper Netflix app. Main reasons for RPi2 was proper audio passthrough and HDMI CEC. Went with the Pi as the TV netflix app works okay and CEC support outweighed having the google ecosystem
AFTV does not need root, unless you want to make use of the USB for external storage.
You just sideload the app and are ready to go, these days you can even add it to home screen without rooting.

Just make sure it can do whatever you need it for.

Read these:
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)

And for more AFTV: http://www.aftvnews.com/
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android Box vs Raspberry Pi 20