Kodibuntu Installer Results in Black Screen
Hey,

So I have tried on two machines thus far, first on my HTPC (AMD Kaveri 7850K integrated Radeon graphics) and my desktop (i7-3930k with GTX Titan, just for testing).

Both boot from ISO image, allow me to select what to boot from a menu (I chose install) and then just result in a black screen.

I read elsewhere that this behavior could be based on a bad Ubuntu kernel on the image that doesn't work with AMD hardware, but that doesn't explain the behavior on my desktop.

Even if this is the case, is there a way to inject a different kernel into the ISO so that the install will work?

I have upgraded kernels in many distributions, but never had to do it on install media.

Otherwise, I just don't know how I would install it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
I'm experiencing the same issue.

Installer dumps me into black screen (with lost signal on TV), keyboard fails to respond to Ctrl-Alt-F1, CapsLock, nor NumLock.

Target machine is a desktop previously installed with XBMCbuntu (working fine with no installation issues previously).

Install media is kodibuntu-14.0~helix_amd64.iso (SHA-1 verified), flashed from a Windows machine onto a USB thumbdrive using LinuxLive USB Creator.

Tried turning off splash boot from boot options, boot messages scroll too quickly to read, but maybe 1 - 2 possible failures observed.

Is there anything I can do to help me debug the issue?

Thanks!
Ubuntu Kernel bug. Install 3.16 mainline kernel or use the forum search, as this was asked multiple times from AMD users.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-04-10, 21:38)fritsch Wrote: Ubuntu Kernel bug. Install 3.16 mainline kernel or use the forum search, as this was asked multiple times from AMD users.

Problem is there really isn't a good solution right now.

The Kodibuntu ISO still has the affected kernel on it.

Even if you boot up on a USB stick to live mode on a different machine, and update the kernel, the changes aren't persistent.

So the only options are to find a non-TV which will allow you to boot the kodibuntu disk, install there and then move to the TV again, to use a different distribution with an install CD that uses a different kernel, or to somehow inject a later kernel into the kodibuntu ISO.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
Then try an installation following this method: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Mount the disk using virtualbox raw mode and install, update kernel and put the disk back in the affected machine.
Or even easier, install hugegreenbug kodibuntu that uses kernel 3.18.5. Just google it.
I wouldn't recommend those distros, because you won't get any support anymore while those are used/installed. I would follow what a dev recommends, as I think he knows best.

But it's your choice.
There are thousands of different Kodi setups, and none are excluded from getting support...least of all when you are running Kodibuntu.

The only difference between hugegreenbugs iso and the official one is the newer kernel which you were going to upgrade anyways. (And some extra scripts/config files that dont really affect anything)
And furthermore: Hugh asked before he made that iso - so we pretty much exactly know what is in there. It was btw. intended to fix "Intel 1820" machines out of the box.
Oh, ok....then I have to apologize. Didn' t knew that....

@Soli:

I'm very sorry.
No need to apologize. I just thought that configuring/installing Kodi in standalone mode from a mini-iso install isnt everyones cup of tea, espescially if there is an available alternative.
I'm having the same problem trying to install Kodibuntu over XBMCbuntu on my Zotac Zbox Nano AD10 with an optical CD. It wouldn't even recognize the USB when I tried to install from there. Would hugegreenbug kodibuntu maybe work for me too?
disable UEFI. Kodibuntu doesn't support that.
It's the old AMD bug in kodibuntu's kernel ... use something newer and install kodi manually.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu Installer Results in Black Screen0