v14 Bad display on auto-login, looks fine if I log out and back in
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Kodi. And while I've done things with Linux, I'm no expert in it either. Just enough to get around and issue commands. I've been banging my head against the wall on this one and can't seem to find any answers anywhere.

So here's the problem. I have an older PC that was pieced together. It has an AMD motherboard in it (ecs amd690gm-m2) which comes with the onboard ATI Radeon x1250 video chipset.

I got Kodibuntu installed, but when it boots up, the display is a mess. See the first picture:

Now if I log out/quit from Kodi and then log back in, the display looks perfect. See the second picture:

Something must be getting initialized after lightdm runs, but doesn't before hand. Not sure why or what it is.

I've updated all components on the system using apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

Can anyone provide some assistance?
Quote:It has an AMD motherboard in it (ecs amd690gm-m2) which comes with the onboard ATI Radeon x1250 video chipset.

Sorry, that ancient GPU is not supported.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well that just bites. lol... Although I don't understand why it would work fine after I log out and back in.
I too have the exact same problem. I have a laptop (MSI L2100) which has the card built-in, so it is a forced configuration.
The GPU may be "ancient" but there are still devices being built today which have this GPU in them. Many people like us are wiping our hard drives and giving up on other operating systems in order to install your version of OS because (at least for me) I am a huge fan of the program and all its functionality. Fixing this one problem literally means the difference between a fairly up to date, usable computer with an HDMI out, good-sized HDD etc. from being thrown in the trash as it cannot be recycled as a media centre.
It's very disappointing to be told this. Are there any suggestions you might have that would still allow those of us cursed with this horrid GPU to be able to use Kodi as a media centre?
Perhaps running the Windows build with Windows 7 and arranging some sort of "auto-run on bootup" might be the answer, even though it isn't necessarily Linux? That was to be my last step before it goes in the bin.
A helpful hint would save the poor MSI from the computer firing squad, anything to make it run Kodi and give it new life!
It and I thank you tremendously!

(2015-03-10, 08:38)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:It has an AMD motherboard in it (ecs amd690gm-m2) which comes with the onboard ATI Radeon x1250 video chipset.

Sorry, that ancient GPU is not supported.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bad display on auto-login, looks fine if I log out and back in0