First Kodi box
Hey guys.

I'm going to setup a Kodi device. Ive had a good look around and feel the Raspberry pi 2 is my best choice. However I thought Id ask first.

I don't have high end equipment, 7.1 surround sound of anything like that. Nor do I have a NAS storage or want to watch my DVD/BluRay collection through HDD's. I'm just after a setup for streaming online content and liveTV.

Will the pi give me full HD streaming and 5.1 pass through.

I'll have the pi running to the TV via HDMI then an optical cable to my 5.1 all in one surround sound.

Thanks in advance
When you say full HD do you mean files like 30gb + in size? I've got the Pi2 and it plays 1080p files I have perfect.
But my videos are no bigger than about 4gb
It plays full br rips of 30gb without issue.
And it seems that it'll play MVC MKVs, too. The first tests really look good.
Read his post, guys. He is just asking about live TV,

Yes, you will be fine with a Pi 2, Todd as long as you have the right hardware/PVR back end set up and the source for the online streaming is in HD.

Pi 2 is fairly adequate for such purposes.
Online content and live tv.
(2015-03-11, 17:49)ozkhan1 Wrote: Read his post, guys. He is just asking about live TV,

Yes, you will be fine with a Pi 2, Todd as long as you have the right hardware/PVR back end set up and the source for the online streaming is in HD.

Pi 2 is fairly adequate for such purposes.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post fully. Looks like I'll indulge into the Pi2 market. Cheers guys.
Just before i do make a purchase. You say as long as my backend hardware and pvr is setup correct.

Currently i have my optical cable running from my TV to my surround sound. Then when I swltch HDMI channel the audio source changes. Will this remain the same when I connect the Pi2??
yes, but doubtful you will get anything more than stereo/DPL when using the rpi -- most TVs won't pass DD/DTS from an external (HDMI) source via their digital audio output
Ive just checked the spec of the TV audio and this is what it's got.

10W + 10WSpeaker System
2 Way 4 Speakers
*Dolby Digital Decoder Yes*
Surround System SRS TruSurround XT
Sound Status Mode 5 modes (Standard/Music/Cinema/Game/Sport)
Clear Voice Yes

I guess im in luck. I know it might look clear to u but I guess the audio will be DD/DTS
decoding isn't the same as passing thru the digital output. I'd still wager that if you want multichannel audio from the rpi, you will need to feed your amp directly
What's possible depends entirely on your TV. Read this.
As long as your TV can pass AC3 (DD) then you can transcode DTS (and other multichannel formats) to AC3.
If DTS is passed from TV through optical, then even better, but devices that support that are rare.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Kodi box0