Hide Specified Folders - by list & leading character?
is there anyway that dir/ could be hidden from showing up in a listing in xbmc, for example hide dir names containing *100%*
not right now...
damn, hope to see this option one day
i don't really understand why you would want to do this...
well its because inside of the folders that contain either music, tv, movies etc are a few other folders that are used for other reasons, but these have nothing to do with XBMC and only look messy when browsing the main folders under XBMC, also saves some clicks, because folders are based on top the file listing before actual files.
why is it always xbmc's job to clean up a users messy folder structure?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
its not a messy folder structure
really? sounds that way to me...
well because u dont really know what uses this would be, you have no idea, so the last thing ill say about it, is for those that run servers and scripts would know
I'd like to have the ability to hide folders from XBMC both of these ways...

An XML or plain text file denoting which folders, by name, to hide in a specific parent folder.

And specifying leading character(s)

examples:

"SYNCAPP" ... any folder named SYNCAPP will be hidden
"_*" ... the leading underscore tells XBMC to hide a folder
".*" ... the leading period tells XBMC to hide a folder.

these would be hidden by result of the above specifications...
SYNCAPP
_SYNCAPP
.SYNCAPP

this has many uses.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Why not just don't pollute your media files with these sort of folders.

Or use the database views. Yes, the video one sucks, but that'll be remedied post 2.0
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

This is relevant to audio/music as well as video since there may be items in my audio shares that are not needed to be read by the music library. But yes, I'm mainly asking for this on Videos. Database views is nice for music that may stay somewhat static, but my videos changes daily (TV Shows) so a database view for that is not necessary, or even useful since I delete most of thos after watching them. Thus files view still needs filtering.

a) not always out choice... hidden folders in Windows works fine for Windows, but XBMC sees them still. Media managers often use these folders, as I show in my example with the _SYNAPP folder.

b) I want to store media suitable for XBMC and other apps in a single centrally located server & folder. Having "filtering" is the only reasonable way to do this. My suggestion, I thought, was a simple and still effective way to do this.

Is this difficult to impliment?
It's not difficult to implement, but it needs to be designed well in order to take care of things well.

Your suggestion is only useful if the folders etc. that need to be hidden start with a particular character that no other folder will start with. This may not be easy in numerous cases. If only there was a standard (such as beginning with "." on *nix) that everyone could agree on, then I'm sure it could be easily implemented.

I think a well-designed database view will do the job just fine. It would obviously be required to update quickly, so that old files are removed and new files are discovered. The idea is to develop it as a filtered fileview with the added opportunity to lookup metadata information from net or file based sources. The metadata is optional - filename only is enough to get it into the filtered view. We'll need systems in place to characterize differing types of files that are discovered so that the user knows exactly where to find them. Ideas/suggestions I'm sure will be welcomed.

Nothing's gonna happen until after 2.0 anyway.

Cheers,
Jonathan

That sounds good.

As for the filtering, no "agreement" would be necessary as long as a custom filter can be entered as the user wishes... like my examples, just use the filters you want. RegEx would even work well.
Lightbulb 
jmarshall Wrote:If only there was a standard (such as beginning with "." on *nix) that everyone could agree on
There is no such naming standard for local (harddrive) files/folders that I know of, however there is a such 'no-listing' naming standard for SMB/SAMBA shares and that is the by using "$" as the prefix. For example if a share a folder in Windows and I name that share "$whatever" then the SMB-server in Windows will not list that share on a list-request when browsing a workgroup, meaning you have to map that share directly in order to find it.

The only other true way of hidding files/folders are by using a 'attribute' value for it (if the file-system supports it), at least FAT16/FAT32 and NTFS supports the basic attributes values "Read-only" and "Hidden" on the local harddrive, and when other Windows machine browse a share in Windows Explorer and that share has files/folders that have the "Hidden" attribute it respects that (unless the user have selected to "Show hidden files and folders" from folder-options in Windows Explorer), but as described in this other feature suggestion thread, XBMC's SMB-client do not respect that 'hide' request.

Now I know that FATX support the "Read-only" attribute because an early version of EvoX installer-script had a problem with that, (it copied the "Read-only" attribute on all files/folder from the CD/DVD to the harddrive and thus the files/folders could not be deleted from the EvoX FTP-server). However I do not know if FATX supports the "Hidden" attribute, but if it did then maybe we could just use that? (just remember though that our FTP-server must ignore such attributes so that the files/folders can be seen and deleted via FTP).

EDIT: In XBMC one chould then be able to set the "Show hidden files and folders" per profile or password Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hide Specified Folders - by list & leading character?0