Anyone have experience with OrangePi Plus boards?
I have been using kodi (xbmc) for 5+ years now mostly on HTPC builds. Given that those same HTPC were also used as streaming sources, data storage for the remainder of the network etc.. i started looking into low power usage alternatives.
Currently im running a E8400 on an Asus P5B Deluxe with plenty of sata and ide (GASP!!) disks inside...and browsing i stumbled upon this
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiplus/en.html

Gigabit ethernet is a must for me, im spoiled, i know..
disks can be sold, usb hubs and smaller 2.5" hdds could replace my current sata ones

but the thing is, how will Kodi work on the ·Mali400MP2 GPU
I understand that the Rpi models have awesome support but the gigabit ethernet is a dealbreaker for me..

is/will the orangepi a viable option for 1080p mkv playback?
The GPU isn't as relevant as the VPU - the bit that does the hardware decoding of H264/MPEG2/VC-1 and now H265 content. Not sure what SoC the OrangePi has - the availability of decent open source access to the VPU is the real issue I believe.
It is based on Allwinner, stay away from it. Cedar lib for AllWiner is closed source and Allwinner never show interest to open it or enable hw decodin of audio and video. Go for raspi Pi B model or Pi 2 as they will make great job, but I am not sure just regardin network as gigabit ethernet is must for you.

In case you need small device with tuner there is Wetek play with different DVB tuner types at acceptable price.
Next step up from the RPi2 with Gigabit is of course the Chromebox.

It would help if you put your Location in your user profile, otherwise many more useless questions will need to be asked.

The other option is the ODROID C-1, but beware mods will need to be done to get HDMI CEC working. 23.976fps (24p) video is not perfect, nor is de-interlacing. Otherwise it a powerful little beastie and can run an unofficial version of Openelec.
The AmiLogic SOC line are well supported.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987

(2015-03-12, 02:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Next step up from the RPi2 with Gigabit is of course the Chromebox.

It would help if you put your Location in your user profile, otherwise many more useless questions will need to be asked.

The other option is the ODROID C-1, but beware mods will need to be done to get HDMI CEC working. 23.976fps (24p) video is not perfect, nor is de-interlacing. Otherwise it a powerful little beastie and can run an unofficial version of Openelec.
The AmiLogic SOC line are well supported.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987

With odroid c1 i really have bad experience, luckily after sending videos and explanation to Pollin Electronics they decided to refund me money and to collect all what I buy from them (case, adaptor, rcu, eMMC, HDMI cable etc.)

My main issue was No signal at any TV with HDMI, and at their forum there is already polemic about that.
Think the consensus at the moment is :

Pi 2 - Very low cost but good quality solution without HD Audio bitstreaming (but with multichannel PCM and True HD decoding) . OpenElec runs very well on it, and you get decent de-interlacing at x2, proper refresh rate support, including 23.976 and 59.94Hz, and a very good support based. (The Pi even has neat 3D SBS/TAB automatic HDMI flagging support and CEC)

Haswell Celeron 2955U Chromebox etc.- Not quite so low cost, but full HD Audio bitstreaming and high quality de-interlacing, as well as proper refresh rate support. OpenElec also runs well on it. The Chromebox will also playback properly mastered H264 4k at 24p with no problems and will output 2160/24-30p.

Only if you absolutely have to have HEVC decode right this minute or need Netflix, Amazon etc. would I be looking at anything else.
Thank you for your replies. I think i will research a bit more, maybe i'll design something with 2 boards. rpi2 for openelec and the second board with gigabit ethernet for network storage.
Yes - that is what many of us do. Pi 2 for playback duties, but separate server for storage duties. (In my case an x86-box built a few years ago running unRAID). (The Chromebox has GigE by the way)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone have experience with OrangePi Plus boards?0