Atom replacement Help (New Kodi Box)
Hello everyone,

its time for me to replace my Atom HTPC...

What i currently have

HTPC
Intel Atom.
SSD Drive.
Ubuntu with XFCE desktop.
XBMC.

NAS for my content. connected via lan to the HTPC. mounted via NFS.

What i would like to buy

Linux compatible Hardware to run Kodi... Ubuntu or Openelec (if this is the name)
Future Upgrade would be made via NVIDIA GPU Card... if required someday for new codecs...

File formats that i play from the NAS: mkv, iso, 3D,
Sound: 5.1, TrueHD, DTS, etc...
Also 1080p Content.

The HTPC would connect like my old ATOM via HDMI --> Receiver --> HDMI --> TV

New Hardware

CPU: Intel i3 Haswell (What model?) I think i5 is overkill. I think there should be some i3 with full HD support surround sound and every thing that i need. Haswell also does not have the 24p bug anymore right?
CPU FAN: should be very silent
Motherboard: Here i need some help.
RAM: 4GB Should be enough i think... would need here also some recommendation.
HDD: I have the SSD from my Atom that i would use.
Case: Here i also need some advice. i would like some Case that i can but in a Hifi Rack... since i still don't know what motherboard to get... its hard to choose a case. also there should be space to but an NVIDIA Card maybe someday.
PSU: Here i need some help. should be very silent.

Thanks for any advice.
Just get a Chromebox. Will do everything you want and it's cheap and silent, and works flawlessly with Openelec
the Chromebox does not have the option to upgrade a GPU Card if i would need that at some point later.
thats the reason i would like to build some HTPC with upgrade options for the future.
In the near future there will probably be machines that will support HEVC (using the hardware).
So why not wait a little for a small, silent, green NUC/Chromebox that I can do just that?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Sure, but with the general trend of this type of hardware, spending much more than necessary now for a future speculative upgrade is probably not optimal. Buy a Chromebox for $150 now, and if a few years down the road there is a common new video format it can't play, toss it and get whatever the equivalent of a Chromebox today is in the future.

If you're building something from components with an i3, you're going to spend so much more than you would on a Chromebox for pretty much no immediate benefit, and chances are that i3 box with an upgraded video card may not even be ideal for your use in a few years anyway.

I mean, I don't want to tell you what to do, I just think that is a much better and cheaper option.
what Chromebox would you recommend?
is there some page/wiki with all supported sound and video formats that the Chromebox can play?

does the Chromebox have enough power for 1080p with 5.1 surround sound formats?
if yes maybe you are right and that is the road i should go...
yes, yes, yes

Chromebox (wiki)
i could see in the wiki that there are 3 options to choose on CPU type...

Intel® Celeron 2955U/2957U
Intel® Core i3-4010U/4030U
Intel® Core i7-4600U

if i take anything else than the Celeron i get in the price range form building a custom HTPC...
so i guess you are all talking about the Celeron.

Is there anything else i should be aware of? or just choose a Chromebox with Celeron and i am fine to run Linux on it with Kodi....
yes. I'd avoid the HP since it's a bit louder and has only one ram slot, but otherwise pick whatever is priced most reasonably in your locale
Well your other option could be the HP Stream Mini, which has a similar Celeron CPU(tad newer, but really no difference in the real world), 2 ram slots, the ability to use 2.5 SSD drives(just need to get the mount to hold it) and m.2 SSD drives vs just m.2 SSD on the Chromebox. It cost about 179 and comes with Windows 8.1. Something worth also looking into.
Or the Zotac BI320. Not sure if you can run Linux or Openelec. Check the thread.

Whatever you do, do not get a full HTPC, personally that is a thing of the past. These days the way to go is with a NAS + a Kodi client. For the client, go as cheap as you can ($200 or less) depending on your requirements. Hardware is changing so fast on this area and hard to predict the future requirements as well.

Also read the sticky thread "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)".
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-03-11, 22:13)torfin Wrote: i could see in the wiki that there are 3 options to choose on CPU type...

Intel® Celeron 2955U/2957U
Intel® Core i3-4010U/4030U
Intel® Core i7-4600U

if i take anything else than the Celeron i get in the price range form building a custom HTPC...
so i guess you are all talking about the Celeron.

Is there anything else i should be aware of? or just choose a Chromebox with Celeron and i am fine to run Linux on it with Kodi....

ASUS Chromebox with Celeron. Will play everything, totally silent, works perfectly with Openelec. From opening the box to watching a movie in 20 minutes
ok Chromebox sounds good. i will go for that.

Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atom replacement Help (New Kodi Box)0