RPi2 vs odroid-c1
Hi everyone. Long long time Kodi user here, familiar with Linux. I currently have an Android set top HTPC device. I am debating about purchasing either a Raspberry Pi 2, or the Odroid-c1. I have read through their various forums here and understand the pros and cons to both. My needs are simple really - the device is connected straight to my TV via HDMI, I play Divx rips off of an external USB HD, occasionally stream stuff thru XBMC. Remote is an airmouse thru USB, no CEC.

I am looking at installing a full linux OS on the device - either Raspbian or Lubuntu ARM, and then XBMC on top of that. From what I can tell, either machine will serve my needs pretty well. I like the idea of supporting the RPi vision, mostly open hardware etc, but I also like having the option of installing Android on the C1.

Basically I'm wondering if support/new builds will be better supported in ARM linux, or Android, going into the future... where do you guys think future development is going?

Thanks!
Both Android and the RPi have a very active development, the RPi2 used as basic Kodi media machine has the edge at the moment however due to Android limitations. (24p, deinterlacing , and more).
Nightlies are available for both platforms, you are not going to lose support no matter which way you decide to go.

ODROID seem to have an active development community as well and Amlogic SOC's seem to be the best supported chipset on Android devices at the moment.

If your thinking of running a flavour of Ubuntu tho. The ODROID-C1 will have the edge, especially if you buy one and use EMMC storage. Apparently 4K random read/writes are 8 to 12 times faster with a EMMC than SD card.

I'm reading this from a 2013 thread however. 4K random r/w on SD cards have improved a little bit since then. EMMC will always be superior.

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1152

I've got an RPi2 at the moment just for Kodi and Live TV purposes and its excellent.

Plus, I've ordered a ODROID-C1, because it can hardware decode H265 video, both in Android and Kodi / Ubuntu and because its a pretty cheap device for tinkering. Even if I have to put up with no 24p (23.976fps) perfect video sync and HDMI CEC issues at the moment.

Smile

I have Odroid C1 and do not like it and do not use it ATM. The community in RPi2 is much better. C1 is not usable when using receiver in between tv and C1 and it looks that it is hardware bug and i doubt that it will be fixed. Opene elec support and pi one on linux is miles ahead of c1. So if you would like to have C1 for playing and tinkering you can go with C1. If you want to have a device that it works besides tinkering go with Pi2.
Hmm, good information, thank you both. I don't want to run Openelec, don't want to dual boot.. I am looking at running a full linux distro and having XBMC run on top of that, as this has to be as easy as possible to run for my 'better half'. I don't really watch 24p movies, nor do I plan on running this thru a stereo receiver.. still somewhat undecided tho.. I assume that running an RPi is 'fast enough' off of an SD card? Any issues powering external HDs via USB with either device?
If i'd have to decide which one to gat between those two i'd go with RPi2. You can power 2,5 hdd but you will need a config tweak and and good power supply 5V 2A. I am using one and have no problems powering ordinary hdd over usb. I have bought this one http://www.banggood.com/5V-2A-EU-Power-S...49349.html (i can not guarantee that it will power your hdd but mine does.)

Also this is a nice RPI2 case that i really like http://www.banggood.com/Geekworm-Black-S...54136.html of course you can get one for 3usd if you want.

Then there is a good 2,4 remote that i am using and is user friendly and works great with some configuration. Find all my posts and you will find also config for it. The remote is vigica.

For sd card i'd take a samsung one UHS-I class 10.
@ saddie, how much I/O are you going to be doing running a full Linux/Ubuntu disk image ?

This really will be where the RPi2 will fall down, random 4K SD write speeds are not the best, no matter how much you spend on a UHS-1 Class 10 SD card. A Desktop environment does a lot of 4K writing and reading, so this is a potential area of concern.

I plan on a dual boot setup when I get the ODROID I ordered, which should be possible using Android / Ubuntu.
This cheap beastie will be for tinkering, Android and H265 playback, with some Netflix thrown in.

Yes the RPi2 is fast enough off a decent Samsung SD card, I've only ever run mine with Kodi / Openelec and not a full Linux Desktop distro.
You should see how quick an Overclocked RPi2 running an Openelec nightly version is. The Kodi GUI is amazingly fast on the latest Isengard nightly. I'm sure all RPi2 owners are going to be very happy Smile

Whats really needed is a Power User here to chime in regarding running a full Linux distro on the RPi2 with Kodi included. Something thats running the latest multicore NEON optimisations in the OS code.

So the question is are you a Tinkerer or a Kodi lounge Lizard ? Wink

saddie - for what reason do you not want to run OpenElec and instead want to run a Raspbian-based system for Kodi? Be useful to know what functionality or use case you have that means OE doesn't work for you.

OE is usually a LOT simpler to run - as it is purely a Kodi appliance distro.
@ illiac4 - thank you very much for the links to a proper PS. They are hard to come by. I will look at purchasing it.

@ wrxtasy - yes, I've read about the slow I/O speeds on SD cards. However if you read at all about the odroid, it has massive incompatibility with certain SD cards, and some people are having issues with eMMC modules even..

This box is replacing a quad core android set top box, mostly because I am boredSmile and because I prefer linux, although I will be a Kodi lounge lizard with itSmile

@noggin - usage case is to work well plugged directly into a TV, being used by my lady friend. Who requires the following things *only*:

1- play Kodi, Confluence skin, no library to speak of. Just some streaming plugins. UI speed isn't too important, as long as movies play smoothly.

2- youtube through a browser works full screen

3- songza.com works through a browser

4- 8tracks.com works through a browser.

If it was just for me, I would totally use OE, but then I'd have to dual boot into a full distro to get those last two points covered, right? Basically the lady friend needs a desktop, where she can click on icons to launch songza, kodi, youtube etc. That's why I need a full distro. I pondered buying an amazon tv but I am in Canada and would rather support RPi than Amazon, prefer linux etc..

I should do some more reading on people's experiences running full Raspbian, IO speeds over the long term etc. A power user running a full distro would be ideal, yes.

Thank you folks so much for your replies!
(2015-03-14, 06:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Plus, I've ordered a ODROID-C1, because it can hardware decode H265 video

I really need to look into this, to see what it can do. Only played around with that OpenELEC build yet, and the only hevc files showing video are 4K. Naturally, these stutter unbearably, but with 1080P or 720P hevc I don't get any video at all. Undecided
From what I was reading h265 decoding is only working with Kodi running on Ubuntu or Android with the ODROID-C1.
All I need is 1080/720p h265 decoding. If Netflix HD works in Android, then thats a bonus as well Smile

(2015-03-16, 04:38)wrxtasy Wrote: From what I was reading h265 decoding is only working with Kodi running on Ubuntu or Android with the ODROID-C1.
All I need is 1080/720p h265 decoding. If Netflix HD works in Android, then thats a bonus as well Smile

For what it's worth, I have a Mygica atv582. It can only run Android. But I do find Kodi on Android to be stable and fast for my limited needs. The 582 just got approved for Google GMS status, which from what I understand means that they can include HD netflix now. A new firmware is coming out shortly to support this, again under Android. The advertising on this box says that it supports 4k but you can't always trust adverts...
The 24p limitation on ODroid-C1 is Hardware, or Android?
A Google Android OS limitation I understand. I slowly being fixed on various Android devices, especially if they have an Amlogic Chipset.

Looks like the OD-C1 already does Netflix HD with this most recent Android disk image:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=8788q

I have ODROID C1 and from 2nd boot I have issue with HDMI. Bought three differend types of HDMI cables and simply it wont work. Also forget HDMI-CEC if you don't have soldering skills.

RPi2 HDMI-CEC if it is important to you works out of the box, on the other side, if you have a need for a MPEG2 you will need to buy license, which are in fact cheap.

With all troubles with ODROID I warm recommend you RPi2. Friend of mine says Netflix HD is not working at ODROID C1, and it is easy to test with Netflix titled Example Short 23.976 , while Nexus 7 plays it which is old story.
Thumbs Up 
EDIT: 22nd July 15:

New comparison with an important Android Kernel upgrade here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2059100

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi2 vs odroid-c10