RPi2 vs odroid-c1
Not exactly re: C1 or RPI, but I bought the 1st RPi and hated it...SD card was constantly corrupted and I spent more time fixing it than enjoying it. Did NOTpass wife test, although CEC was awesome.

I now have 5 XULites and 6 U3s, all with Cyanogenmod on them, and loving them!! So incredibly useful, especially that I have an Office 365 Sub and netflix/amazon accounts.

I would highly recommend these and the company/community itself...although I think the new Razor and Nvidia TV boxes will give them some very serious competition - if they don't change their price.
I never managed to get deinterlacing to work on my U2 - and Android was a non-starter if you had a mix of 25p, 50i, 50p, 24p, 23.976p, 59.94i/p etc. as there was no automatic refresh rate switching. Think it very much depends what you need or want from a solution.
A bit of a heads up, I can now achieve very near perfect synced 23.976fps (24p) video playback of h264 / avc - content in Android using SPMC / Kodi on the ODROID-C1.
No audio glitches present at 24Hz either. Smile
This is in addition to perfect 24p in Netflix and when decoding HEVC (h265) content.

H264 is just not consistent yet and needs some tweaking by Koying.
Details here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=225296

Quote:The really nice thing is under some Skins in Kodi running on Android I can add Netflix and other Android apps and select these from within Kodi seamlessly. Using a full keyboard programmed Flirc + remote, Netflix navigation and play is then possible using just a remote control. In fact you can navigate the whole Android GUI interface with this combo.

I'd like to replace a Fire TV with an Odroid C1 running Android, Kodi, Confluence++, and the Netflix app but I'm having trouble with the navigation in Netflix. I'm using version 3.11.1 from the Play Store.

I can navigate around the shows using the arrow keys, enter, and escape. After I select a show, I can navigate to some of the on-screen buttons using the arrows, but I can't navigate the season or episode lists without a mouse. During playback the left and right arrows work to jump backward and forward, and the volume keys work for Android, but those are the only keys I can get to work. I've tried the media keys on my K400 keyboard, and I've tried several keyboard I've found posted online.

I'd like to setup a Flirc so Netflix works well, and then I'd remap the keys in Kodi to match. Are there more options to control the Netflix Android app with keyboard shortcuts?
Most of us have this same issue with the normal Netflix for Android client. If Netflix fixes this so that their normal client is 100% remote control friendly, then they would make tons of users happy, including myself :)
(2015-04-25, 19:01)alankeny Wrote: I can navigate around the shows using the arrow keys, enter, and escape. After I select a show, I can navigate to some of the on-screen buttons using the arrows, but I can't navigate the season or episode lists without a mouse.
Being new to the Netflix app running on Android, I now find that yes I have to use a cheap Measy air mouse to navigate to the season and episode lists. I hardly ever look at these lists and just have TV shows autoplay the next episode in the series.

Yes agree with Ned, Netflix need to do some more work to make the app 100% remote control and keyboard friendly.

Further testing on the OC1....

I decided to experiment with a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / Kodi Isengard Alpha2 release on the OC1 and it works very well indeed Smile
Boots quickly, and it is the fastest distro. for the OC1 compared to Android or OpenElec.

Results are very very close to perfectly synced 24p - H264 & H265 video when the Kodi GUI is used at 24Hz running on Ubuntu. Usually the Kodi GUI at this refresh rate is slow, but it's as easily as quick as my Overclocked RPi2.
Also the Ubuntu / Kodi Isengard release plays all the 24p / 1080p / HEVC (H265) test clips I have. Its far more reliable than any of the other distros.

Its plug and play virtually when using both a Air Mouse and the combo of a BT usb dongle with a BT iMac Keyboard with this distro of Ubuntu 14.04.

However no dynamic refresh rate switching seems possible in this distro Sad
It would be damn near perfect Kodi media box if the 50 & 60Hz - HDMI Audio issue were fixed and refresh rate switching were implemented in Ubuntu on the OC1.

CEC is now fixed on the latest version of C1. http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...8016e364aa

This is now very close to perfect for me. Smile
(2015-05-21, 19:39)epicstruggle Wrote: CEC is now fixed on the latest version of C1. http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...8016e364aa

This is now very close to perfect for me. Smile

Have they fixed the HDMI issues with AVRs at 1080/50p and 1080/60p? Flashing to black and audio drop outs?
They may well have based on your PLL suggestion...have not tested personally yet. Fingers crossed.

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...761#p89761

EDIT: Just been testing the new Android Kernel and Firmware and preliminary results are encouraing with no 50Hz Audio Dropouts. The update just based on playing around a bit seems to have sped up the OS as well. I will be pretty happy if this PLL mod has fixed the HDMI Audio and Video issues.

(2015-05-22, 10:58)wrxtasy Wrote: They may well have based on your PLL suggestion...have not tested personally yet. Fingers crossed.

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...761#p89761

EDIT: Just been testing the new Android Kernel and Firmware and preliminary results are encouraing with no 50Hz Audio Dropouts. The update just based on playing around a bit seems to have sped up the OS as well. I will be pretty happy if this PLL mod has fixed the HDMI Audio and Video issues.

do we have a dedicated thread or section bout odroid on kodi.tv forum? or is it just the odroid forum
Does anybody know when they will fix hardware issue of unshielded hdmi connector at C1. I exchanged 3 different HDMI cables Sad I manage to connect wire from USB Port to mini HDMI to get back video but hey video is so much shaking when device is connected to my AVR (Onkyo NR-636) , and actually I was donkey to dont ask for refund at Pollin Electronics for garbage delivered by them, while Odroid stuff was buying time and delaying for giving solution so I ended up with 2 weeks gone and no refund...

HDMI-CEC possible only with soldering skills, and unfortunatelly I even dont have soldering machine nor a skills.

For me, Raspberry Pi (2) is way way better solution for any beginner and almost out of box solution with openelec. I am sure when right time come we will see HEVC or eventually 4K capabilities in some new gen. of Raspberry Pi.
@ techspaces, unfortunately it's never wise to purchase a shiny new unproven product.

I've been running the new firmware and drivers that have come out of ODROID for testing on the C1.

Happy to report all HDMI blanking and flickering video problems are now fixed when running Lubuntu and Android. OpenElec shortly. No need to even stuff about with the HDMI connector or buy new HDMI cables.

The HDMI Audio glitch issues were also the same ones that affected the HDMI video. These are now fixed as well Smile
I do not have an AVR, but owners now appear to have no issues with these connected over HDMI.

From ODROID..
Quote:UPDATE: For people who want to know what are changed in this custom build.
My custom build contains new PLL settings for HDMI, these are shared by AMLogic. It's just a code with understandable constants for particular registers

If you were one of the early adopters and bought a C1 when they were released, yes it's true HDMI-CEC will not work without soldering a wire.

Units like mine purchased up to two months ago now come with a little yellow dot on the Ethernet Shield that signifies that HardKernel have changed them on the production line to now supply correct power for HDMI-CEC capability. HDMI-CEC control for AMlogic devices has recently been added to the Kodi source code as well. So it is coming.

I already have a RPi2, the C1 fills the 1080p HEVC decode deficiency the RPi2 has. Plus I get smooth / perfectly synced 24p HD Netflix playback. Deinterlacing 1080i mpeg2 TV, is superior to the RPi as well.

For anyone considering a cheap ($35) Kodi / HEVC / Android device the C1 is very good now all the HDMI issues have been fixed. Just flash an image to the micro SDHC card and plug it into the C1. No ADB stuffing about or connecting it via USB to a PC to reflash. Its as easy as an RPi to setup.
Lubuntu runs Kodi very well also. OpenElec is very quick.

Just be aware there is no perfect 23.976fps(24p) video sync when playing video with Kodi at 24Hz. On the fly refresh rate switching works with SPMC and Kodi on Android and OpenElec.

I am now pretty happy with mine and only use the RPi2 for when I want perfectly synced 24p video playback. Smile

(2015-05-26, 05:20)cudencuden Wrote: do we have a dedicated thread or section bout odroid on kodi.tv forum? or is it just the odroid forum
Yes there is a dedicated ODROID-C1 thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987

Great review/thread. I stumbled on this from your sig and other post on Android XBMC ;-) Have you tried emulator and Android games etc on the OC1? I was looking at Android boxes from China with S802 and S812 for more grunt. But discounted them due to frame rate issues etc with Android. Looks like you've found a sweet spot with OC1. Tried an eMMC with it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi2 vs odroid-c10