RPi2 vs odroid-c1
Cheers.
I have not played any games, but you can easily have a stable Overclock of the C1 from 1.5Ghz to 1.78Ghz. Perfromance mode can also be enabled in Ubuntu and Android easily. Its a quick beastie.

There are all sort of Emulation distros and projects in the forums:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=8659

Standard Android limitations apply to refresh rates, you only get 24, 50 and 60Hz. I'm puzzled by Netflix tho as all streams I have seen on a PC are 23.976fps. Chromecasts sticks display 23.076fps Netflix with the usual 3:2 pulldown judder. I'm seeing perfectly synced 480p Netflix when running the Android GUI at 24Hz. Video should stutter every 41 seconds like it does when playing 23.976fps H264 video but it does not. Definately a nice surprise. Smile

I don't have a EMMC. Noggin on the Forums here has a C1 with a EMMC.
I don't experience any slowdowns even with a Class 6 micro SDHC. The Ubuntu distro may benefit with a EMMC if you are doing a lot of R/W operations.
Sandisk UHS-1 Class 10 micro SDHC card have the best compatibility at the moment. But this is being fixed to widen the scope for trouble free reboots with other cards.

EMMC comparison speeds are here in a chart halfway down.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

Looks like the C1 audio/video drop outs have, FINALLY, been sorted. Looks like the HDMI PLL wasn't quite accurate enough and was drifting too far for some TVs and Amps to cope with. Just downloaded and installed an experimental OpenElec 5.0.7 build with the new kernel with the HDMI fix, and been watching for about 30 mins with no drop outs.

This is great news, particularly for those of us in 50Hz land who want to watch 1080i - as the C1 may well deinterlace 1080i a little better than the Pi 2, and the IO bandwidths may be a bit more DVB-S/S2/T/T2/C + USB storage + network streaming friendly for TV Headend purposes?

This might be useful : https://doukki.net/doku.php?id=hard:arm:...1-openelec Guide to compiling your own OE with the new kernel, and links to pre-compiled images at the bottom of the page.
(2015-05-26, 10:47)wrxtasy Wrote: I already have a RPi2, the C1 fills the 1080p HEVC decode deficiency the RPi2 has. Plus I get smooth / perfectly synced 24p HD Netflix playback.

I have seen you mention HD Netflix on the ODROID-C1 in several of your posts. Is this something that you have actually verified with one of the Netflix test clips (Example Short: 23.976, El Fuente: 60 main10) or this is just your visual comparison with another device known to get HD Netflix?
Hi, previously I have just been eyeballing Netflix from a 42" TV, 10 feet away on the couch.

Now that I know there are actual Netflix test clips about, I decided to take a look.
Results using the Example Short: 23.976fps clip...

Chromecast (a known HD Netflix device):
Netflix video ramps up to 1920x1080p around 5000kbps, BUT there is terrible 3:2 pulldown judder because this is a 60Hz display output device. Worse still the top inch of the video exhibits some sort of Vertical Sync lag issue. Its frankly very off putting even if it is 1080p video.

and as expected.

ODROID-C1:
Netflix maxes out at 720x480p at 1750kbps, BUT you get perfectly synced 23.976fps (24p) video on a compatible TV when the camera pans about in a scene.
Much more watchable. I don't notice the lack of 1080p from 10 feet away, viewing on the couch. Others with 55" or larger TV's likely will.

I think this is called being between a rock and a hard place, so far a Netflix viewing goes. Wink

Consequently OC1 Review amended.

(2015-06-03, 04:08)wrxtasy Wrote: ODROID-C1:
Netflix maxes out at 720x480p at 1750kbps, BUT you get perfectly synced 23.976fps (24p) video on a compatible TV when the camera pans about in a scene.
Much more watchable. I don't notice the lack of 1080p from 10 feet away, viewing on the couch. Others with 55" or larger TV's likely will.
I think this is called being between a rock and a hard place, so far a Netflix viewing goes. Wink

Consequently OC1 Review amended.
Thanks for taking your time and testing. I am sorry that it turned out to be a little disappointing for you. You actually saved me from spending $100+. Netflix HD on Android devices that are not Google certified or tested for compliance by Netflix may never see HD. Outside select TVs, Blu-ray players and Tivo Roamio/Premiere, Amlogic S800 series SoCs are the only ones that can output 23.976 for online streams. The platform uses FFmpeg to read the AV Info frame of streams and adjusts the refresh rate. This works only for non DRM streams.
I've always wondered how the AMlogic SoC's - managed to get perfect 24p Netflix sync. Thanks for explaining it.
For a budget device on a smallish TV, 720x480p seems OK. It likely suits that target market perfectly.

Chromecast results are extremely disappointing tho for a Netflix 1080p device. Jeez it may Google certified but the 3:2 pulldown video results are rubbish !
Time to fire up the old PS3 and test Netflix again Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi2 vs odroid-c10