Req Selecting uPnP music renderer/streamer as remote target player
I use iOS official XBMC/Kodi remote to play music from Kodi/MacMini.

Most remote softwares so far so good, but they don't provide the possibility of selecting a different uPnP renderer.

my request:

1) Can Kodi server provide the feature of selecting uPnP renderer as a target? currently we can only specify: exposing as uPnP media server

2) The iOS official Kodi client is the best remote controller that I used so far, if it can play the Kodi server music to a selected uPnP renderer, it's even better.

What is possible currently:

Using another uPnP client software, by exposing Kodi content as a uPnP server, I can play music to any streamer, but those uPnP client software is by far not that good as the Kodi cleints.

Nice weekend!
That functionality is already available:

1) Navigate to the media you which to play
2) Press 'c' to bring up the context menu
3) Select "Play using..."
4) Select the UPnP Renderer from the list
I think what he is looking for is to select the UPNP client to stream to from the IOS remote. I would also love to see this being implemented. Thanks!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2015-03-14, 20:07)sialivi Wrote: That functionality is already available:

1) Navigate to the media you which to play
2) Press 'c' to bring up the context menu
3) Select "Play using..."
4) Select the UPnP Renderer from the list

Thanks for the info! With the context menu directly on Kodi server, I have only the possibility to "play with"
1) PA Player
2) DVD Player

No remote uPnP Player is there to be selected. Generally speaking, I am requesting an option (either on the server or the Kodi client) to stream content to remote player instead of the default local player (PA player or Mac default DVD player), I mean just stream music.

Like this way:
1) Server-side, I can change the default player (local player) to a remote uPnP player when I activate the uPnP server content expose
2) Directly in the client software like the iOS XBMC official remote, to select a remote player as the default player

I am developer, but not a Kodi developer, from my point of view, as the current iOS remote is not designed to be a standard uPnP client and thus, the easiest way could be to have a sever option of selecting renderer (either local or remote uPnP player) and the client can change the setting remotely.

Br + nice Sunday for all!
(2015-03-15, 06:59)steve1977 Wrote: I think what he is looking for is to select the UPNP client to stream to from the IOS remote. I would also love to see this being implemented. Thanks!

Yes, this is exactly I am missing right now!

Br,
You have to enable "Look for remote UPnP players" in the UPnP settings in Kodi.
(2015-03-15, 10:57)Ned Scott Wrote: You have to enable "Look for remote UPnP players" in the UPnP settings in Kodi.

Thanks for the info!

At least one step ahead, yes, I can send it to a remote player by console /Kodi server, but I cannot set it as a default player.

Meaning, every time, when I use the iOS remote client and start to play there something, it switches back to the Mac Mini / local PA player.

To be exact, it is still not that I want. If I could change the server configuration to have a remote player as default player, then, it is done, regardless if it is done by the server side or client side.

I think, it should be now program-logically easy, if we already can play a music file from the server side to uPnP player and the only thing to do is to set the default player to a remote one.

To expose the possibility to the client controller, may require some more time.

Anyway, thanks for your great knowledge on Kodi ;-)

Br,
I think that will require an addition to the iOS remote app.
(2015-03-15, 12:01)Ned Scott Wrote: I think that will require an addition to the iOS remote app.

Yes, it is true, if we want to make it perfect, meaning to enable users to play music directly to different uPnP player by remote on the fly.

But it is enough to me, if we could "hard-code" the default music player to a remote one by server setting, I don't need to change the player on the fly ;-)

I opened the settings.xml, the uPnP and the music player part don't have any related settings.

Greetings!
You can change the default player using the advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file. Just use the name of the UPnP player as it appears in Kodi.
(2015-03-15, 12:37)Ned Scott Wrote: You can change the default player using the advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file. Just use the name of the UPnP player as it appears in Kodi.

Great !, I managed to start the music by iPad remote to the streamer by adding this file to the userdata folder inside the server folder (Mac OSX)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<!-- Default audio player: paplayer or dvdplayer -->
<defaultplayer>whateverItIs</defaultplayer>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still, I realized that this feature is still not mature enough:

1) The default player will be finally set to the remote one, when I first start a music file by the server context menu and by selecting the remote streamer. If I don't do it, it remains the local one. Only when I first do it one time by the server and then after, it switched to the remote one
2) At the remote, I can only start the play, but not control anything (the volume/forward etc)
3) Sometimes, it switches back to the local player without any reason. Don't know why, have to figure out.

It's great that is working for now, I hope that some guy could improve it in this way:

1) at the server side to have an abstract audio player layer to link to different audio player (local paplayer or uPnP)
2) To send control instructions of remote client (volume, forwards/backwards etc) to the underlying player accordingly (paplayer or uPnP instructions)

Salute!
Moving this over to the iOS remote forum. I'm genuinely not sure if this is possible at the moment, but I figured I'd alert joethefox to the request. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Selecting uPnP music renderer/streamer as remote target player0