Win Kodi Use Crashed HTPC Overnight
I've had this issue stemming from XBMC 12 (and possible before) to Kodi now. It's always the same.

Thus, I've come to expect and generally know when I'm going to have to hard reset my computer the next day. If I use Kodi at all, then at some point after I wake up the next day and switch my input on my TV to the HTPC, I'll have a no signal message on my tv. I won't be able to sign in remotely, my SAB and Sickbeard servers are down. Basically the computer just freezes anytime I use Kodi. I don't know exactly when it happen, but it happens sometime within the 8 hours that I'm asleep.

This only happens after using Kodi. If I don't open Kodi, then the computer will stay functional for weeks. I know this because I was using Plex for a while when binging a show for a few weeks, and never open Kodi at all during that time period. After that binge was over, I opened Kodi to watch something, and it started freezing over night again. I've recreated this exact circumstance numerous times since then and been able to isolate the problem to having opened kodi during that session.

I've uninstalled, redone my entire library, researched everything, deleted databases and the like. Had no luck stopping this problem. Any ideas?
EDID override with moninfo?
Any chance you can elaborate on this?
The norm is to have all equipment ready, i.e.
The computer is on
The AVR/amplifier is ready for sound
Then user launches KODI

As the video/sound output sources are available to be detected when KODI launches, it automatically goes to correct frame, resolution, refresh rate, audio settings, etc that were setup.

However when KODI is launched prior to hardware being available and it cannot detect items (i.e. they are on after KODI is launched it creates a conflict) KODI will default to another setting which is available or just crash/freeze.

Because KODI relies on the output hardware to be available when it polls the output source, be it the TV or AVR during the sleep/wake cycle in your use case scenario it cannot and so a conflict is created where it cannot default to another setting as none is available.

The workaround is to download a program called moninfo.
With moninfo you create and .inf file which outputs all the available EDID information of your hardware (TV or AVR) and makes this the permanent default override information instead of a generic one which MS uses to identify the monitor.
Then you use this .inf file to overwrite the driver for your monitor in device manager by updating driver and picking the .inf file exported.

The EDID override should hopefully force your HTPC to only use that specific EDID info (name the .inf whatever you TV is) and not just the MS Generic PnP monitor.

Moninfo
Ok this is interesting. The only option is see in moninfo is my Onkyo TX-SR705. The Samsung TV is nowhere to be found, however video is displayed on the Samsung right now with no problem. do I just make an inf from the 705? and replace my monitor info with that?
Yes, ideally you would go from HTPC>ONKYO>TV so the .inf would be from your receiver as the way in which you have it now.
Ok, perfect! thanks so much for this info. I'll report back tomorrow and see if I wake to a black screen or not.
(2015-03-15, 23:09)hpman247 Wrote: I've had this issue stemming from XBMC 12 (and possible before) to Kodi now. It's always the same.
What version of Kodi are you trying? I've had lock up issues after a couple days between multiple older version of XBMC. Ever since around 14 alpha 2 the problem went away after when I believe they replaced the internal video engines for Kodi. Now I can leave my system on without corruption. Before it could take 1 to 4 days to lockup and corrupt. I think you should also test your RAM too with memtest to rule that out. All it could take is 1 bit of ram to corrupt the system. Using Kodi could start using an area of ram that could be compromised, you never know. Also 14.2 RC1 has been released, try that if you're not already.
Doubtful that its ram if system performs ok without KODI runnning, see OP post.
Can you plug a vga/dvi monitor into the htpc after it has "frozen" and see if you see anything?

Can you ping the htpc after frozen?

Can you check the OS log files? Assuming Windows you can check the event viewer for any logs overnight.
(2015-03-17, 10:21)k4sh1n Wrote: Doubtful that its ram if system performs ok without KODI runnning, see OP post.
Well you can't rule it out unless it's tested and passed. Like I said, if a ram chip is 0.01% bad, all it takes is the right program to access the right area of memory. I've seen it numerous times. Turn on the computer and let it sit it may never access that 0.01% bad spot. Really, what's the harm in testing, it'll set someone back 1 hour. If all else fails, waste an hour of time for a quick check.

(2015-03-15, 23:09)hpman247 Wrote: I've uninstalled, redone my entire library, researched everything, deleted databases and the like. Had no luck stopping this problem. Any ideas?
You can also try to disable certain drivers then try again after a good reboot. Or even try updated drivers, like audio, lan, video, etc.

But I would highly recommend 14.2 RC1, then come back here if you still have the issue.
(2015-03-16, 00:56)k4sh1n Wrote: EDID override with moninfo?

(2015-03-16, 03:33)k4sh1n Wrote: Yes, ideally you would go from HTPC>ONKYO>TV so the .inf would be from your receiver as the way in which you have it now.

Ok, so I did what you described, and last night I didn't get a lock up. We'll see what happens tonight. I am currently running Kodi 14.2 RC.

Upgrades in the past haven't done anything to fix the problem, so I'm not certain.

As for the question about ping, no i cannot. I cannot remote in, all of my servers (SAB, Sickbeard, etc) go down as well. A reboot is the only thing that fixes the issue. All drivers have been updated from sound, to video, ethernet and the like.

I have not tested whether an external monitor connected to the HTPC would display anything, but my gut tells me it would not. It seems as if the computer becomes entirely unresponsive.
Nice, I'd give a few more day as a burn in test to see if issue is resolved.
Still ok today. I can't remember the last time it worked this long after opening XBMC.
Still running smoothly?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Use Crashed HTPC Overnight0