• 129(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
I name all of my files title.3D.SBS and they all play in 3D automatically, I believe I am running the latest stable build on my pi2
(2016-01-03, 15:14)D-m-x Wrote: Good question and now i see where my mistake is... Openelec 6.0 which is based on Kodi 15.2. Looked it up, I was sure until 5 Minutes ago Openelec 6.0 was Kodi 16 already.

But if Openelec based on Kodi 16/17 is released in the future I'm guessing the Name sheming should work like i descriped it?

Kodi 16 doesn't support 3D ISO or the "MVC" tag in filenames.
For MVC mkv files you need to name them ".3D.SBS." on 16.

You need to use a Milhouse nightly build for 3D ISO support or the "MVC" tag in filename.
I've been reading along and trying to follow the news on all these media players but something keeps bugging me that I'm not sure I've found an answer for.

What is in the Pi (or similar) which allows the full functionality of MVC 3D MKV files that isn't in other devices or video cards?

If sounds like it's something to do with firmware, allowing the HDMI on the Pi (or similar) to access the MVC functionality that is built into most HDMI ports now. Is that correct? And if so, WTF can't/won't video card manufactures upgrade their firmware, even if only for specific models that aren't build for massing 4K 6 monitor gaming and the like?

Further, do the Pi manufactures have any ability to produce a PC video card with their functionality? I don't know all the logistics so just hoping to clarify some questions I have that I can relate to others who spend far more time frustrated with the 3D situation than they do looking into understanding it (old people!).

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone!
(2016-01-03, 18:57)Dave the Minion Wrote: I've been reading along and trying to follow the news on all these media players but something keeps bugging me that I'm not sure I've found an answer for.

What is in the Pi (or similar) which allows the full functionality of MVC 3D MKV files that isn't in other devices or video cards?
The Pi / Pi 2 has a "hardware" MVC (the 3D codec used alongside H264/AVC to encode 3D Blu-ray at full HD resolution) codec engineered into its GPU via firmware AND has Linux driver support for it, as well as Linux driver support for the GPU (and hardware support in the GPU) to output 1080/24p frame packed modes over HDMI. Two things that are both needed for 3D MVC decode AND full HD 3D output.

Quote:If sounds like it's something to do with firmware, allowing the HDMI on the Pi (or similar) to access the MVC functionality that is built into most HDMI ports now. Is that correct?
Firmware AND Linux driver support for 3D MVC decode and 3D HDMI Frame Packed output. (Not the same things - though often confused)

Quote:And if so, WTF can't/won't video card manufactures upgrade their firmware, even if only for specific models that aren't build for massing 4K 6 monitor gaming and the like?
Most video card manufacturers target Windows users - so their Windows drivers have 3D MVC decode support and support for frame packed 3D output. However these drivers may not be open to everyone to use (people behind WinDVD and PowerDVD have access to this stuff but it may required NDAs to access them (not compatible with Kodi GPL Open Source))

Most manufacturers only provide a subset of their cards' functionality via their Linux drivers. The same is true of ARM SoCs - where Android (and other non-Open Source) solutions are favoured.

Quote:Further, do the Pi manufactures have any ability to produce a PC video card with their functionality? I don't know all the logistics so just hoping to clarify some questions I have that I can relate to others who spend far more time frustrated with the 3D situation than they do looking into understanding it (old people!).

Not really. Remember the Pi Foundation is a charity geared up to educate kids about computers and coding. The Pi manufacturing is a separate division, but I don't see them taking on nVidia or AMD in the PC GPU market...
Nice explanation @noggin ... will be redoing post #1 today and will link to your post.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-03, 19:51)hdmkv Wrote: Nice explanation @noggin ... will be redoing post #1 today and will link to your post.

Agreed. Very appreciated as not everyone can read through tons and tons of info an extract the simpler information.

I don't use additional programs like PowerDVD but am I understanding correctly that they do support hardware MCV MKV output the same way the Pi does? Not only the output but the ability to communicate with the display to auto-switch and the like?

At the end of the day it still seems rather silly that so much in the world of HTPC is out there and "free" and for the most part easy to use but for some reason this 1 idea is still like trying to land a man on the sun in flip-flops and a speedo. I can buy a $1000 Titan X and game at ridiculous resolutions but that same card can't do what the teeny-tiny Pi can.

Also, I don't know a lot about the general Pi community outside of my desire to use it with Kodi and the like. Is there any info on newer (more powerful) versions on the horizon?
(2016-01-03, 22:16)Dave the Minion Wrote: I don't use additional programs like PowerDVD but am I understanding correctly that they do support hardware MCV MKV output the same way the Pi does?
I believe so. I believe that 3D MVC decode for the major players is implemented, and if you look in the video drivers on some PC GPUs you see a 3D option, which I assume will kick in 3D Frame Packed Output. I've not really tried this stuff so can't comment with authority

Quote:Not only the output but the ability to communicate with the display to auto-switch and the like?
No real need to communicate with the display per se. If the display supports it (which it tells the GPU via EDID down the HDMI Cable) you just switch as and when you want I believe. The display is expected to cope with a change in input format and sync to it automatically. It's a case of the driver and app on the PC communicating rather than the PC and the display (post-EDID).

Quote:At the end of the day it still seems rather silly that so much in the world of HTPC is out there and "free" and for the most part easy to use but for some reason this 1 idea is still like trying to land a man on the sun in flip-flops and a speedo. I can buy a $1000 Titan X and game at ridiculous resolutions but that same card can't do what the teeny-tiny Pi can.

I suspect the hardware can, and with a Windows proprietary solution so can the software. (Just as it could on an i3 Intel GPU) The issue is that there isn't an Open Source-friendly solution to access 3D MVC decode (not sure about the Frame Packed output - suspect that might be more possible. But am guessing here ...)
Quote:Also, I don't know a lot about the general Pi community outside of my desire to use it with Kodi and the like. Is there any info on newer (more powerful) versions on the horizon?

No - the Pi Zero is a move almost in the opposite direction. The Pi Foundation exists to cut the cost of entry for kids learning to code, because computer science students in the 00s were less advanced when they arrived at Uni than computer science students in the 80s and early 90s. This was deemed to be because most of the 80s and 90s kids had home micros that they programmed, whilst the late 90s and 00s kids all used computers as appliances instead. (And coding on the computer your dad did his home banking on was probably less of a great idea if you broke it...)

The Pi / Pi 2 / Pi Zero was a response to this. Cheap computers that kids could use on their own and not be hugely worried about bricking.

Apparently the Pi guys were considering a higher spec machine, but decided to go lower spec to make it even cheaper, which reduces the costs of entry and allows for more embedded coding (robots etc.) at a lower price. The Pi Foundation have a lot invested in their current architecture. The Pi 2 was a clever way of developing this without killing a lot of their existing code (which they still want to support on their original SoC). Think it may be a little while before we see a Pi 3 with USB 3.0, integrated Bluetooth and WiFi, 2160/60p, HDMI 2.0 and HEVC decode... But then again. The Pi Zero kind of came from nowhere...
(2016-01-03, 18:27)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-01-03, 15:14)D-m-x Wrote: Good question and now i see where my mistake is... Openelec 6.0 which is based on Kodi 15.2. Looked it up, I was sure until 5 Minutes ago Openelec 6.0 was Kodi 16 already.

But if Openelec based on Kodi 16/17 is released in the future I'm guessing the Name sheming should work like i descriped it?

Kodi 16 doesn't support 3D ISO or the "MVC" tag in filenames.
For MVC mkv files you need to name them ".3D.SBS." on 16.

You need to use a Milhouse nightly build for 3D ISO support or the "MVC" tag in filename.

Thank you, i think i got it now Smile
I'll just wait for an official Release with 3D iso or MVC tag in filename support. For MVC i can just use the 3D.SBS Naming Scheme and 3D iso support isn't that important right now :-)
Appreciate the knowledge. So a $1000 Titan X could do what the Pi does, just a bunch or red tape and likely money preventing it. Sad Sad

I didn't know as much about the purpose of the Pi before either. It all makes sense. I'd hope the community does realize the exceptional ways it's been used though and see the possibility in building a more powerful device, even if under a different banner. From my vantage point, paying $400-ish for a Pi that has the capability of running much like a decent HTPC would be more than acceptable. They can put all the money from the huge mark-up into furthering their work with kids. It's win-win in my book! Since the big-boy GPU manufacture's don't seem to want our money.
Gave post #1 and charts a big overhaul; took like 3 hours; whew! Nerd ... full 3D is such a moving target, a good thing I guess, as we'll hopefully see more viable options this year!
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-04, 02:47)hdmkv Wrote: Gave post #1 and charts a big overhaul; took like 3 hours; whew! Nerd ... full 3D is such a moving target, a good thing I guess, as we'll hopefully see more viable options this year!

Thanks for all the hard work! Does q5 support automatic forced subtitles in mkv yet? In my opinion, I don't see how a player can get an A when it doesn't play a part of the movie. It wouldn't get an A if it didn't play sound.
Yeah except turning on forced subtitles is a couple of button presses on the remote. No sound is like fatal.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi Everyone

I have read this thread, but can someone pls assist me with the better Media player for Kodi?
Frankly, raspberry pi 2
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nickr, thank you. I picked this up since. I will go this way then.
  • 129(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17