WIP Am I doing this all wrong? harddrive space, whats the point of no return?
I purchased another 1TB drive, filled it with movies and Tv shows. This is probably about the 3rd time I have done this. Due to the usual harddrive completely crashing and dying and making the clanging sound of death. Whats the point though? Should I just upload all my stuff to an online file hosting service? I mean it seems like nearly every single video-addon is pointing me to a huge list of online file hosting sites. Hell to the point.. most of my stuff is already out there being shared.
Am I doing this wrong? That being said, will my stuff be up there for all the vultures of the world to grab once I put it on any of these file hosting sites? and then I got to deal hosting "warez"... when I actually own all this material? Are all these file hosting of movies and tv... none of it is password protected? How are the goods shared?
Might I recommend a small raid storage box with (2) 1tb or larger hard drives in it in Raid 0. This way you will have a clone of the 1 Tb drive so if it crashes you can then replace that drive and it will rebuild itself and you continue enjoying your content. It's not that your doing anything wrong and certainly there is lots of video content online to stream. Maybe what you have and maybe not. But at least you know you have it in your possession. The next thing you could look into for remote access is Plex.tv That service allows you to share videos/music/pictures to the outside of your house and stream it to your Kodi box or tablet and phone using the Plex app. just another idea. I use Plex and enjoy what it has to offer. My stuff where and when I want to watch it.
Sorry that sounded kinda sales pitched but I do have the service and enjoy it with Kodi
Just a slight correction, RAID 1 provides redundancy, not RAID 0.
Better to go with 3-drives (or more) in a RAID-5 array. Reason for this is that RAID-5 is a good compromise between RAID-0 and RAID-1, as with RAID-5 you loose less usable disk space than RAID-1 yet it is still offer N+1 redundancy.

Also recommend 3 TB sized drives right now as they currently have the best price per GB value. Best is to get harddrive types that are specifically designed for NAS ("NAS classed" hardware), such as example Seagate NAS (ST3000VN000), WD Red (WD30EFRX), or HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724030ALE640).

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-ha...s/nas-hdd/
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810
http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/internal...-drive-kit

Another tip is to get a smaller separate non-RAID disk as a sacrifice-disk that you dedicate just for downloading to, reason for that is that peer-to-peer downloading protocols like BitTorrent thrash the disk, shortening its life-cycle which means it will always die sooner rather than latter, that is simply something that you have to live with.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Am I doing this all wrong? harddrive space, whats the point of no return?0