PCM encoded movies play only static for sound
Hey everyone.

I recently upgraded from Kodi 14.1 to 14.2 on my Amazon Fire Tv. The AFTV has the latest firmware and is connected directly to my TV with hdmi. I am playing movies stored on my Synology NAS and most movies play fine. However, movies that show 2 channel PCM audio create a loud static or white noise. None of the actual audio track can be heard, but the video plays fine.

In 14.1, switching audio channels to 2 in the kodi settings corrected this problem, but doesn't seem to help since switching to 14.2. I thought this must be some type of bug, but after searching, I can't find mention of it anywhere, so now I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I'm new to kodi and still feeling my way around, but I've been working on this for the better part of a week and still can't figure out how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rodney
I went ahead and created a debug log. I played Amelia which is 1080p with pcm audio to recreate the static problem, then played Annie which is 1080p dolby digital and the audio plays fine then played Avatar at 1080p with pcm which once again recreates the problem.

Here's the log
Do you have the audio passthrough settings enabled or disabled? Or the Dolby Digital/DTS capable receiver options selected? You may need to turn those off if you are not connected to a capable audio receiver.

Just a thought
The passthrough options are disabled. It's very frustrating. I was hoping someone would have encountered this and have an easy fix, but I suppose that was wishful thinking.

I didn't have this problem on 14.1 but 14.1 crashed a lot so I upgraded. I've been considering trying 15 alpha,but I don't know how stable it is. If I upgrade and it isn't stable enough, is reverting from 15 back to 14 as simple as installing 14 again?
Just thought I'd give one last plea. Anyone have any ideas on this?
I guess this is some kind of weird issue with you receiver.
Assuming AC3 passthrough is working fine in your case, and taking http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings as a reference, the workaround would be:

- Set "Number of channels" to 2.0
- Enable "Stereo upmix"
- Enable "Enable passthrough"
- Enable "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver"
- Enable "Enable Dolby Digital transcoding"

This way, you 2.0 will be upmixed to 5.1 by Kodi, and should work for you.
Thanks for the input Koying, unfortunately that didn't fix the problem.

Also, I don't have a receiver. My AFTV is hooked directly to my TV via hdmi. The setup audio fine on 14.1, unfortunately 14.1 kept hanging on me

I'm thinking of giving isengard a try but not sure how stable it is. If I give it a shot and run into trouble, is a reversion as simple as installing 14 on top of 15?
(2015-03-20, 14:06)Rkmcdon Wrote: Thanks for the input Koying, unfortunately that didn't fix the problem.

Also, I don't have a receiver. My AFTV is hooked directly to my TV via hdmi. The setup audio fine on 14.1, unfortunately 14.1 kept hanging on me

I'm thinking of giving isengard a try but not sure how stable it is. If I give it a shot and run into trouble, is a reversion as simple as installing 14 on top of 15?
Have you tried spmc? Its working flawlessly on my fireTV with no hangs whatsoever
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
I have not, but I'll give it a look. Thanks for the input!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PCM encoded movies play only static for sound0