Setting up WLAN on Acer RL70.
Hi guys. Been a while since I've done anything Kodi/XBMC related. My system is on Openelec.

I have some new content on a hard drive and want XBMC to download all the pics/info etc for it.

I have an ethernet cable available to attach to it but would like to get the WiFi on the PC working if possible.

I have set it up in the openelec network settings and restarted it, but the internet doesn't appear to be connecting, and in the settings menu it says not connected.

However, when I first start up XBMC, there are two popups stating the version I am using is out of date and I should consider updating. For this to happen it must surely be getting some information from the internet, right?

How do I begin troubleshooting what the problem might be and getting wireless internet working properly on my net top?

I have downloaded Putty, I know I might need to log in to the system via it but it's been so long since I did it I'm not sure how to or exactly what I'm supposed to be posting so that you can help me. You need some kind of log right? To do this the system must be connected to the router, which I can via the ethernet cable, but will that not just connect the system to the internet and compromise any information about the WiFi faults in the log?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I think the version I'm on is Eden 11, with Aeon Nox theme.
Random thoughts:

1. Update to the latest OpenElec. Either download and install from a USB stick or - easier, perhaps - plug your RL70 in on Ethernet, navigate to the machine from another system (e.g. a WIndows laptop), go to Update and drop the upgrade files in there. Reboot.

2. Putty will get you in, username root, password openelec.

3. Why your wifi isn't working is another issue, but let's get to the current version (Eden is ancient) and see where that takes you...
Thanks Yaffle.

Before I do this, is updating likely to affect my current configuration in any way? I have everything set just how I like it, themes, layout, pictures, remote control settings etc.
Updating to the current version via the normal update process (i.e. installing the files and rebooting) shouldn't affect your settings, but it's always wise to have a backup.

Installing from USB is more likely to blow it all away as you're effectively doing a re-install. Probably not what you want.
OK. Well I'll try this later and update then. Fingers crossed.
Hello again.

I've tried updating but I can't even do that. I have copied the files over in to the update folder via Windows network, restarted the system but nothing happens. The openelec os settings app has the 'update' tab greyed out. There is also no option to backup either so I'd be taking a risk updating.

Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps it's because my Openelec/XBMC install is old and it doesn't want to update to the newest one because they're too different?
What files did you copy? With newer versions of openelec you can just drop the tar file in. But with a version as old as yours you need the KERNEL and SYSTEM files, and their md5 files, extracted from the tar.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Oh OK. What I did fist was drop the .rar file in first, then I unpacked it and dropped the whole update folder with neither returning any updates.

So I need to remove certain files out of the actual folders? Could you tell me which ones please, here are the contents of the folder

Do I just take whatever files out of the update folder and copy the whole lot along or jsut the specific files?

Sorry for the dumb questions, it's just that the system and PC I use to access it are at the opposite ends of the house, I am in danger of getting fit trying to update this.
IIRC correctly (and I should know, I've done it often enough - the mind's a strange place, though... at least, mine is... recognition vs recall and all that), they're in target. You should find KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5 in there - copy those to the Upgrade folder (share) on the OpenElec system with Windows Explorer (sounds like you've done that) and reboot the OE box.

You should see it starting to boot, then get some update messages, then reboot. That's the point at which you cross your fingers.

Re: backup, if you know how then you can ssh into the OE box and simply copy the .xbmc folder in your home directory, e.g. cp -rp .xbmc .xbmc_backup ... -r to make the copy recurse down the directories, -p to preserve all attributes (timestamp, owner, access permissions, etc.). Ideally, you'd copy it to some external device so, if something does go horribly wrong, you can simply re-install the version you have now (make a note of it first...) and the replace the .xbmc directory with your version.
Thanks Prof Yaffle, I did what you said and it updated. I couldn't backup my old version because after using SSH with I wasn't sure what to type to backup. It wasn't a big deal though because the remote still works OK and I've just spent some time tweaking the skin to get it right again,although there are a couple of things I want to sort yet.

After the update, sorting WLAN was easy, it just scanned for my SSID, I put in the password and that was it, so great!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up WLAN on Acer RL70.0