USB 3 HDD not detected on boot
Hi guys,
Hoping someone can help me with this, setting up my Intel NUC to run openelec/kodi and its all going pretty well but im having an issue with kodi not detecting my usb3 hdd on boot. If i plug the drive it after boot it gets detected fine, but if i restart it will not mount the drive. This is an issue because id like to keep some media on this drive so having it auto-mount upon boot is a must. Any help would be great. Ive seen people mention fixes using putty and editing certain commands but they all seem to refer to the raspberry-pi and i don't think they are of any use to me.
Try placing the usb-storage module permanently on the /etc/modules file.
I presume that the same module for any version usb storage, if not find out what is the correct module by tailing dmesg and plugging in your usb3 device.

edit... openelec.. no idea.
Thanks for the reply but could you please elaborate on this because i dont really understand what youre talking about. Ive got no experience in any operating environment other than windows so all this has been a bit of a learning curve. Cheers.
Well I did edit the post to say you using Openelec so I have no idea really because the underlying OS is read only unlike normal Linux OS where you can edit configuration files, such as /etc/modules and add the module-name there so its loaded by force no matter if you need it or not.

What I was suggesting is what I do on my install is load edited the file /etc/modules and just typed usb-storage there and saved the file.

Sorry but Ive no clew about openelec or what can be done there or if anything can be done, only somone who knows whats happening specifically there can tell you. I cant as again I dont use or know much about openelec.
Also must apologise as I have no time to teach you how to use Linux at the moment so forgive me if I dont spend half hour typing detailed step by step instructions which are useless to you in openelec or I have also no idea if it would work even if you could run those commands.
Openelec should be auto mounting your drives even after a reboot. Something weird is going on. Maybe something to do with timing of your drive powering on. Throwing guesses out. What kind of hdd is it? Does it happen with other drives or usb stickes? Have you tried a different port? Sometimes that helps. You might try kodibuntu and see if it behaves differently. With a default install it feels much like openelec.
Thanks for the replies guys. To elaborate...the drive is a WD Elements 2TB usb 3.0 drive. It stays powered on even if the NUC is switched off as it has an external power supply. When i boot Kodi the drive is not detected but if i unplug and then reconnect the power supply to the drive it will then show up in Kodi straight away.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB 3 HDD not detected on boot0