Live TV video slows down, crashes, EPG crashes
Just setting this up for the first time.

My setup:

MythTV backend version: 0.27-193
pvr.mythtv plugin version: 1.12.10
Raspberry Pi 2
OpenElec version 5.0.6
Kodi version 14.2

I'll note that I also have a stronger HTPC running Ubuntu / Kodi 14.2 / pvr.mythtv (not sure which version on that one ... whatever comes in the Ubuntu Kodi build or the Ubuntu mythtv pprs) and that it works well, so the back end doesn't seem like it's the problem. Something is

Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41k_8K...ZMNDQ/view

As the title says, I have two main problems. The first is that semi-randomly, the Pi reboots during startup. Always when working on updating the EPG. If it reboots, it'll frequently reboot two or three times, then the third or fourth time, it'll boot correctly. I haven't caught it doing that with debug turned on as it's sporadic, but if there's a hint, I'd love to hear it.

The second problem is live TV. Haven't tried recording on this yet. The symptoms are multiple. This log shows them. I tried two channels first and got timeouts. The third channel started playing, but the video was slower than the sound, so much so that by about twenty seconds in, it was a full two seconds delayed. After a while, the video would go into hyper-fast mode like it was catching up, but it never does catch up fully, and then it crashes anyway.

I'm hoping I just have something simple configured wrong, but I'm up for any suggestions!
Logs on a paste site is preferred. that's why openelec builds in pastebinit.

Is your tv mpeg2 or h264? If mpeg2, have you installed the mpeg2 codec?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I had no idea about the pastebin thing. That's clever and useful! I suppose I could re-upload those logs back there and paste them into pastebin if that would help.

The TV signal (I assume that's what you're asking about?) is from an HD HomeRun Connect ... the OTA dual tuner. That's mpeg2 when streaming and /should/ be h264 after encoding, but I haven't had a chance to play with the recording function yet since I haven't got the live tv part working on that box yet Wink.
Your log doesn't have debugging enabled.

I think you have more than one problem here:
Code:
15:34:04 T:1744319552   ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV PVR Client: (CPPMyth)SpawnLiveTV: tune delay exceeded (5000ms)
15:34:10 T:1744319552   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
15:34:10 T:1744319552   ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV PVR Client: OpenLiveStream: Failed to open live stream
15:34:10 T:1744319552   ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [pvr://channels/tv/All channels/0.pvr]
seems to be some PVR setup issue. I don't know much about that.

The slow down is due to not having the MPEG-2 licence and playing MPEG2 video:
Code:
15:34:28 T:1744319552 WARNING: CMMALVideo::Open Codec mmal-mpeg2 is not supported
so we don't hardware accelerate the video decode. Try here
Got it! Thanks!

I didn't realize the mpeg2 codec wasn't included, even when nickr mentioned it ... just didn't sink in. I went ahead and bought that and can try it whenever they send it along. As to the tune delay, I'm not exactly sure if that's because I was trying to tune a channel that doesn't come in too well, or if that's a more general issue I sometimes have with the "green" drives on the box that has the mythtv backend, but I wasn't as concerned about that problem.

Thanks for the tip, though! I'll give that a shot.

I'm still not sure about the random reboot during EPG updates, but it also hasn't happened in the last day or two, so ... hard to catch.

Should I enable the Pi's extra debug and not just the extra logging from the plugin? I don't know how much that might or might not slow things down and "seem" like its own problem.
Well, just reporting back that I got the MPEG2 codec and that's worked perfectly for playing the TV. The missing channels thing is "normal" was because those two channels simply don't come in across the wire correctly.

Don't know what the random rebooting was about, but so far, still no repeat of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV video slows down, crashes, EPG crashes0