Kodi seg fault on start up
I'm running 14.1-1 on Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi B+. It was working great, then developed this error:
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)

However, after running fine, even with the gtk error, for several weeks, it now refuses to start, seg faulting whenever I try to run it.

The crash log is here pastebin
Try renaming .kodi to .kodi_back and see if that helps. That would indicate a custom setting or add-on is causing the crash.
You might also want to uninstall the kodi deb file and then reinstall it.
(2015-03-21, 14:09)popcornmix Wrote: Try renaming .kodi to .kodi_back and see if that helps. That would indicate a custom setting or add-on is causing the crash.
You might also want to uninstall the kodi deb file and then reinstall it.

I tried renaming .kodi-- no luck, still had the segfault on startup.
After that, I ran apt-get remove kodi. It returned an error, but seemed to remove kodi regardless.
Code:
Removing kodi ...
Segmentation fault
dpkg: error processing kodi (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 139
Processing triggers for menu ...
Segmentation fault
dpkg: error processing menu (--remove):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
kodi
menu
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

After that, I ran apt-get install kodi, since even with the error, kodi seemed to be gone. It too returned errors, and did not install kodi.
Code:
dpkg: error processing kodi (--configure):
package kodi is not ready for configuration
cannot configure (current status `half-installed')
Setting up menu (2.1.46) ...
Segmentation fault
dpkg: error processing menu (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139
Errors were encountered while processing:
kodi
menu
N: Ignoring file 'raspi.list.save.1' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Ignoring file 'raspi.list.save.1' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

....so... I'm considering running autoremove, or purge for kodi, removing directories etc. Thoughts?
After apt-getting another package, unrelated to kodi, it completed the remove without issue. I reinstalled kodi, and still had the segfault.
If apt-get is giving seg-faults, then I think your raspbian install is broken.
I think best solution would be a reinstall.
I'm going to try a full removal and then reinstallation of kodi before I nuke my raspbian install-- it was a giant pain in the ass to set up deluge, a vpn, and sickrage. Not too excited to do all that again. Plus the apt-get segfaults stopped.

I'll report back in a couple days how the reinstall goes.
The apt-get segfaults came back, but I was able to fix that finally via this http://www.piprime.fr/1480/manually-remo...an-ubuntu/
It said to do this
Code:
mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/PACKAGE.* /tmp/
dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq PACKAGE

which allowed me to finally truly uninstall kodi and then menu as well, which were both segfaulting during apt-get remove.

After that, I did a full reinstall of kodi... which began segfaulting on start again.

I've also tried to roll back my kodi install to a previous version, or even install an unstable version from deb http://archive.mene.za.net/raspbian wheezy contrib unstable... but I can't get it to install any of that- I'm not sure if I don't know what I'm doing, or if there's something broken.

Any ideas are welcome!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi seg fault on start up0