Moving Frodo XBMCBuntu to a New KodiBUntu Install
I have a XBMCBuntu install running on an AcerRevo 3700 box that cannot be updated any longer (dpkg seems to be broken) I would like to format the SSD with a new KodiBuntu install and move my configuration (plugins, library, file shares, media images, etc.) to the new server.

Can this me done easily and what challenges would I face? I understand that plugins would probably be broken but would I be able to update them from the Kodi interface? I know the XBMC settings are stored primarily in the /etc/home/username directory. Besides this location, what other files/directories would I want to backup to achieve my goals?
The /etc and /home directories are the two primary ones... /etc contains system config files which I would selectively restore . Copy your old ~/.xbmc directory to ~/.kodi to keep your old xbmc settings... Worst case scenario you can delete ~/.kodi and start again.
Thanks. What would be the best procedure to follow? Install Kodi, copy the files then launch Kodi interface then cleanup? Am I missing any possible steps? I am assuming my hardware should work out f the box (didn't have to do a whole lot to make it work to begin with).
Teeedubb - What files in /etc should I backup? The /etc/xbmc directory only has a bunch of shell scripts that look like they were installed when I put xbmc on the computer to begin with.
I always backup everything in there because I don't remember what I've changed and redoing config files is annoying.
Thanks. I have a 32GB Flash drive I am going to install kodi to and run the Kodi Live. I should be able to then test moving the config over. I will report back results.
All that except do not copy or reuse guisettings.xml should do you. there is no upgrade path from frodo to gotham or newer for e.g due to audio engine changes. Also leave the /etc/ files DO make backups to refer to them, but not transfer them bad idea if you have to ask what to do, then best not tempt "sods law"
Hey guys,

Is it possible at all to upgrade from Frodo to Kodi?
In principle it is. Maybe you have to upgrade your distro/OS as well. All is explained here: Kodibuntu (wiki)

Please be aware, that there have been a lot of changes since Frodo and not all addons are compatible with the new version.

For being sure that all will work fine, you have to provide more info about your hardware. XBMC is moving to Kodi but your hardware might be too old now. Maybe you better stay at Frodo. We can tell more if we know more about your device.
(2015-08-23, 21:48)paddyred9 Wrote: Hey guys,

Is it possible at all to upgrade from Frodo to Kodi?

Yes but audio wise thers no upgrade path, you probably need to nuke the guisettings.xml and reconfigure, all other data should work OK.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving Frodo XBMCBuntu to a New KodiBUntu Install0