Offsite Backup
Hello All... I'm looking for advice.

For awhile now, my media collection has grown and grown. (I'm sure many of you have this problem as well!)

I ended up buying a drobo b800fs and packing it with drives, which gives me some peace of mind. That said, if that piece of hardware went down. I'd have a bad day. Options like Amazon or Google hosting are out, since I have terabybes of data, and I don't really feel comfortable uploading my data to someone else's servers.

Here is my situation:
My main residence is in Wisconsin (where the drobo is), and I have another place down in Florida.

I'd like to put in a second storage solution down in FL, (likely another drobo or synology) and I'd like to have them sync somehow so that I'm protected in case of a disaster. I want it to be a two way sync, so that if I add something in FL it is copied to WI, and vice versa.

What solutions do you use? Please let me know if you have any ideas!
Vpn plus resyncing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Have you considered a service like crashplan? It's pretty affordable and has unlimited online backup. They also allow you to use their software to backup to another computer for free.
Sorry my android keyboard screwed up. I meant rsync.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
+1 rsync, however, as far as I know rsync runs over SSH, do not see an advantage of running it over VPN, but both are possible

You can even set a cron job to run rsync at 3am, use x amount of bandwidth, etc, etc.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
Yes as long as you don't mind up opening up ssh to the internet. Having been bitten by a root exploit once, I haven't been brave enough to do it again. If you do it with keys instead of hackable passwords it is a lot safer.
Thank you all who responded. I'm going to take a closer look into rsync.

I would want to make sure that security is tight. Nickr, is there a specific tool that you recommend for a VPN? I'm really good at home PC builds, but when it comes to networking, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks
Openvpn has pretty good rep.
I do have mine open to the Internet, however, I am using a very obscure port # on the WAN side and redirecting to 22-SSH on the LAN.
I also have a specific user setup for remote access, which does not have access either remote or locally to sensitive data. In a few words, it only has access to media files. Even root does not have remote access via ssh, I have to do "su".
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
Obfusation is not security. Port scanning will eventually find your ssh server.

But your other security measures do seem sound.
when using SSH you should modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config and set
- PermitRootLogin no

never ever allow root on ssh!

and, btw, use private key autentication method. A lot more secure

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Offsite Backup0