Using HDMI to Ethernet converters / NUC build
Question 
HI all, I'm looking into Kodi as a media server as I'm currently using Plex and it's giving me the sh!ts that it can't do MKV. containers or even handle transcoding on the fly and Kodi can.

My understanding is that Kodi works best when the HTPC is connected to an AVR directly (from I'm assuming a HDMI output on the HTPC graphics card).

The issue I have is that my PC and AVR (Yamaha RX-V667) are in different rooms. So after doing some googlefu and searching I have come up with the following plan to connect my PC to my AVR:

PC > HDMI to Ethernet converter > Ethernet over Power adapter > Modem/Router > EoP adapter > HDMI to Ethernet converter > AVR

The components would be as follows -

HDMI to Ethernet Converter: Astrotek HDMI extender via LAN
EoP adapter: Netcomm NP507
Modem/Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U

My computer is running a i7-4790K (OC to 4.6GHz), 16GB Corsair Dominator Memory, EVGA GTX 970 SC and WD RED drives for media storage.

I would like to known if anyone has done or is currently using this type of setup and how well it works before shelling out almost $900 on some new hardware. At max it will need to handle 40+GB 1080p Blu-Ray movies with H.264 encoding in either a MPEG.4 or MKV container.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
Hdmi to ethernet converters dont work if you run ethernet through a router is what I was told. Of course I have nevrr tested it myself so I am not sure.
I doubt a EoP adapter will be able handle the speed of HDMI video.

Why not get something simple like a Chromebox or pi2 and hook it up to the TV? What are you spending $900 on?
Firstly, Plex definitely can handle mkv containers and transcoding if you:
1) Encoded video properly
2) Setup Plex correctly
3) Have an adequate local home Network

Even 5Ghz N WIFI will be enough to stream BluRay iso's - h264 video to a Kodi client like a Pi2.
MIMO / Dual band even better.

If you used a WiFi extender that cuts the bandwidth in half, enough throughput should still be available.

Have you tested the speeds you are getting through the Ethernet over Power adapters ?
These are likely the restrictive components in the network.

Kodi does NOT do transcoding, never has. I think your mixing this up with Mediabrowser.

The HDMI to ethernet speed shouldn't be an issue as it will be the speed at which Kodi can send video information.

I do have a Samsung Smart TV (UA55D7000LM) so a Pi wouldn't be necessary. I believe it's a mix of the TV processor not being powerful enough (for at least MKVs) and Plex's inability to handle MKV. properly as to why I'm running into stuttering even with crappy 576p videos, on full wireless or wired, thus why I want to jump to Kodi.

I'll take another approach at this, I need to get information from my computer in a different room to my receiver/TV using Kodi. I would prefer not to have an additional PCs/NUCs etc as I have a significant amount of grunt from my PC.

I am more than willing to spend the cash for additional plugin devices (i.e. EoP adapters).
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2015-03-22, 06:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Even 5Ghz N WIFI will be enough to stream BluRay iso's - h264 video to a Kodi client like a Pi2.
MIMO / Dual band even better.

If you used a WiFi extender that cuts the bandwidth in half, enough throughput should still be available.

Have you tested the speeds you are getting through the Ethernet over Power adapters ?
These are likely the restrictive components in the network.

The hardware listed is what I would like to buy to get my setup to work. I am using a different set of EoP adapters and on average I'm getting about 170Mbps and wireless N to the router. I think speed might be playing a very small part, but not the issues I'm currently getting.
Ok. Why not get rid of Plex completely then, unless there are more clients that you need to connect to that you have not told us about. ?

Setup the i7 as a file server and just get a cheap RPi 2 or Chromebox for the Kodi client if you need HD Audio.

Either:
RPi2 HDMI > AVR > TV
Chromebox HDMI > AVR > TV

The plan is to get rid of Plex and migrate to Kodi.

So this Chromebox essentially acts like an inline streaming booster? Just connect it to a LAN and done?
Plex definitely handles mkv and transcoding on the fly. The ability to transcode of course depends on the power available in the plex server. But you say your server has plenty of power.

Kodi definitely handles mkv but does NOT transocde on the fly.

HDMI does not travel over ethernet. It can be routed over cat5 or 6 cable that is commonly used to route ethernet, but it is simply carrying the hdmi signals, and cannot be used for networking at the same time. The baluns are quite expensive, possibly more than the price of a raspberry pi or even a chromebox, although it is a while since I looked at them.

Now the best way to do what you want is to plug a computer running kodi directly into your TV via HDMI, and network that computer to your server which holds all your media. The server doesn't need to do anything other than file serving, no kodi is necessary n the server. Simply regular SMB file serving which is built into windows.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
PS just checked, there are baluns for $50 on ebay, but you do have to get good quality ones, and of course you have to forsake ethernet on that cable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Beware the difference between HDMI over Cat5 and HDMI over Ethernet - they are definitely not the same thing.

HDMI Baluns will allow you to send HDMI over Ethernet cable (aka Cat5e/6 etc.) but they are only using the cable electrically, they don't use Ethernet protocols or compression, they simply use the Cat 5e/6 cable cores to carry HDMI video, with some equalisation to make it work. There is usually no quality loss with HDMI baluns - though some cheap ones will reduce the maximum resolution that can be carried (some only allow 720/60p or 1080/60i max and don't allow 1080/60p for example, and some won't allow HD Audio as they don't run at high enough bandwidth)

HDMI over Ethernet - where the video is compressed and carried as data over a network connection, and thus can be switched and routed via conventional GigE Ethernet gear, is very different. In this case the video is recompressed, and in some cases the audio is too, so you may find a quality loss and in some cases no HD Audio.

Make sure you don't assume a Balun-type set-up can be routed via a switch and carry other network data - it can't.
Quote:HDMI over Ethernet - where the video is compressed
- I didn't even notice this existed, hence my post two above yours.

But compressing the HDMI signal seems really stupid, and would be last resort I would have thought.

Really my point is, use kodi as it is intended.
So summing it up:

i7 PC as a SMB file server > local network > Kodi client HDMI > AVR HDMI output (if Amp supports this) > TV

Kodi can scrape all the Metadata, Posters, etc from your i7 file server.
No HDMI over ethernet needed and its expensive and un-necesary.

Awesome thanks. Yes, AVR supports HDMI out to TV.
May have had a win with the wife in being able to buy some new hardware once I get the money together.

Plan is to run OpenELEC with this:

Intel NUC5I3RYH Core i3 NUC Barebone Kit
Intel 530 Series 120GB M.2 SATA SSD
Crucial 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz SODIMM

When doing driver updates from Intel, do you select "OS Independent" for NUCs? Are there also continual updates for OpenELEC? I've never used Linux for personal use, so it's a little bit of a learning curve.

With the new generation NUCs having AC wireless and my main PC has an AC NIC, I'm splashing on one of these (current modem/router also licks hairy crack):

ASUS DSL-AC68U Dual Band Wireless AC Modem Router

After doing some reading on here it looks like a few people recommend the Logitech K400R keyboard or the Logitech Harmony remote, I'm leaning towards the keyboard as the setup for the remote seems incredibly painful for the use it will actually get. Is there a better wireless/IR keyboard setup that anyone can recommend?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using HDMI to Ethernet converters / NUC build0