Raspberry Pi 2 and Sony Play TV Tuner
Hi there,

I recently ordered a Raspberry Pi 2.
I have been using a Raspberry Pi B model until now with XBMC and I had set up PVR with a sony play tv tuner.
It was all setup correctly and working as i wanted however the picture would sometimes be jerky or laggy etc. Because of this i removed it and have been using the built in PVR in the tv itself.
My question is whether Kodi on the Pi2 would maybe improve on this or is it likely to be the tuner that is causing the issue.
Has anyone had experience with the sony play tv tuner in XBMC/Kodi?
There are a lot of compatible USB tuners out there but which ones would be the most reliable? and are they also likely to work with an indoor antenna (I want to put a tv in the bedroom at some point and have no antenna socket in there)

Any help appreciated

Thanks
I have tested and written about this very subject, with the exact same hardware over here in this post:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1944448

Conclusion the old Overclocked RP1 can act as a TvHeadend backend and Kodi frontend, just not very well due to single CPU core limitations.
The RPi2 however with those extra cores can do the same job well.

The important point of both is that you have to use a usb drive to record TV because any SD card write speeds will be too slow for usability otherwise.

Suggestion: Run the TvHeadend backend on OpenElec on the old Overlocked RPi1. Kill the Kodi process for better performance. And feed video into the RPi2 as the front end.

I actually use an old Crystalbuntu ATV1 as the TvHeadend server backend. With its Internal HDD it works well streaming TV to all Kodi clients in the house.

Smile

Thanks for your reply, however it appears I need to start from scratch before I can determine if its better or not.
I have my new Pi2 and have my media setup working fluidly.
just tried to install tvheadend and I am only getting a 'connection lost' message.
Its been a while since i set up the pvr on the pi1 but I cant see what im doing wrong?

tried connecting the tuner directly and also via usb hub
also installed the tvheadend client service via a zip file and cant connect through my web browser on my windows server.
what am i doing wrong??

help appreciated

thanks
OpenElec 5.0.5 as v 5.0.6 has issues with audio / video sync and Live TV
Make sure you have purchased the mpeg2 decode licence if TV in your region is in this video format.

Kodi > Addons > Get Addons > OpenELEC Mediacenter addons > Enable > Add-on repository > UnOfficial OpenELEC Addons > Install

Kodi > Addons > Get Addons > UnOfficial OpenELEC Addons > Context Button or "C" on Keyboard > Force refresh > Wait a while....

UnOfficial OpenELEC Addons > Services > tvheadend > Install

Plug the Sony Play TV Tuner either directly into the RPi or the connected usb hub.

Then in a Webbrowser connected to your home network:

Code:
ip.address.of.RPi:9981

This will bring up the TvHeadend configuration page.
Then follow this straight forward TvHeadend server setup Mini Guide by Noggin:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1929846

BIG Tip: remember to hit "Save" each time you configure anything.

Hi there,

thanks for that, I already replied to this post but it seems it didnt go through for some reason.
anyway, I had done everything that you wrote in your post but still nothing happened, just kept saying 'connection lost'.
However today I noticed a new version of Tvheadend was being downloaded so I tried again.
This time with more success.
I was able to bring up the web interface and using the guide entered some muxes. There are two antennas near me, Townsville and stuart:
I entered all muxes for both as below to see what would actually work:

Townsville

ABC34 National 571.5 MHz
RTQ35 Commercial 578.5 MHz
TNQ36 Commercial 585.5 MHz
SBS37 National 592.5 MHz
STQ38 Commercial 599.5 MHz

Stuart

ABC46 National 655.5 MHz
STQ47 Commercial 662.5 MHz
TNQ48 Commercial 669.5 MHz
RTQ49 Commercial 676.5 MHz
SBS51 National 690.5 MHz
TNQ60 Commercial 753.5 MHz

On the TVHeadend web interface on the Multiplexers Page, click the add muxes manually button and use the following
settings for the ABC.

Frequency (kHz): <frequency of mux>
Bandwidth: 7 Mhz
Constellation: QAM-64
Transmission mode: 8k
Guard interval: Auto
Hierarchy: Auto
FEC Hi: Auto
FEC Lo: Auto

I got three muxes to scan but the rest just sit on PEND, but while writing this a fouth one came through, however I am still missing the nine network/go/gem etc.
how do i get the others to scan?

also, is there a way of changing the location of the recordings to my windows computer instead of the raspberry pi?

cheers
(2015-04-03, 16:23)ozzy_81_uk Wrote: On the TVHeadend web interface on the Multiplexers Page, click the add muxes manually button and use the following
settings for the ABC.

Frequency (kHz): <frequency of mux>
Bandwidth: 7 Mhz
Constellation: QAM-64
Transmission mode: 8k
Guard interval: Auto
Hierarchy: Auto
FEC Hi: Auto
FEC Lo: Auto

I got three muxes to scan but the rest just sit on PEND, but while writing this a fouth one came through, however I am still missing the nine network/go/gem etc.
how do i get the others to scan?

also, is there a way of changing the location of the recordings to my windows computer instead of the raspberry pi?

cheers
Just started to play with Tvheadend and i have run into the problems I describerd here.

But as to your isssues with nine and it's cohorts, can you get these channels on your TV? If so, can you get some tech details on frequencies, etc from your TV menu?
If so, maybe you can manually add these to the Tvhedend server.

As to where one can store your recordings, it is specified within Configuration > Recordings within your tvhedend server admin page.
You can see it to the right under 'recording file options', click the down arrow to show all settings.
Normally '/storage/recordings' is the default which is on your sd card (not ideal) but you can specify anything you want.
Presumably you can specify some share on another computer but i have no idea how that will impact performance when recording and streaming to multiple clients.
And again, if you specify some smb share, then presumably the smb service within the RPi should also be running.
Most specify a local (USB) HDD if your tvheadend server is on a RPi...
I'm a XBMC novice :)
No need to manually enter anything and all that hard stuff.

Next Tip - Don't use the predifined Muxes for your area, they are hopelessly out of date.

In Oz I just choose Australia (Generic) I think its called at the top of the list. Let it scan all the Frequencies, then just delete the ones that Fail.
Remember to SAVE. On every page you change or edit.

Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 and Sony Play TV Tuner0