"Forked" Version
Could someone give me an explanation as to what a "forked" version is...?

I've searched the web, and I can't find a definitive explanation that I understand...

For example, I purchased a GBox Midnight MX2 android box that came with XBMC Forked by Matricom...

What does that mean exactly?

Thanks in advance!
A "fork" piece of software is where a developer/team take an existing piece of code and then build on top of that, modify and remove parts to their liking. It's very common with open source code like Kodi.

Here's some reading if you want it:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/fork Wrote:Forking is to take the source code from an open source software program and develop an entirely new program.

Forking is often the result of a deadlock in an open source project that is so insurmountable that all work stops. Typically this happens when development team members are unable to resolve personal conflicts or fail to reach a consensus about next steps. Forks may also occur when core members of an open source development team decide not to address use cases that other members of the development community feel are important.

Software forks can be controversial when they duplicate efforts, but most developers agree that the right to fork is open source software's greatest strength. A successful fork can save development time, inspire other uses for old code and create new business opportunities.

To be considered a fork, the newer version of the software must have its own name and its own developer community. When a new program remains compatible with the original program, it is referred to as a shallow fork.
Thanks for the quick response!

My next question is, is it better or more desirable to run a forked version of Gotham with what came programmed, or to upgrade to the latest and greatest for performance?

Is it better to run a forked version or to use the newest stable releases?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Forked" Version0