Req Time Skipping in Playback of Recordings
One mode of operation that I use for viewing TV shows is to start the recording of the show an then start watching the show about 15 minutes after it has started (for an hour show). Then when a commercial occurs use time skipping to get past the commercial. The problem is that the length of time of the recording in not updated during the recording. That is if I start watching 15 minutes into the show kodi thinks that is the length recorded unless I stop and start the playback. If I do that kodi does not remember where I was in the playback for a recording in progress. For a recording in progress fast forward does work, but time skipping (left and right arrows) is a must more convient way of skipping a commercial if the recording is in progress while you are watching, but only works if kodi thinks there is time left on the recording.

Note that my comments only apply to watching a recording in progress. My request is that kodi update the length of the recording as it is being recorded so that I can use the time skip feature to move past commercials (using fast forward it is much more difficult to navigate past the commercial).
I'm surprised that you are having this problem, the one about not being able to do skipping, that is. I realize that Kodi only shows the length of the program as it was when you started playing the program, and it would in fact be nice if that could be updated as the recording continues (the MythTV frontend software manages to do that somehow, but I suppose with Kodi it's partially dependent on whether the backend is sending updated information) but as far as the skipping using the left and right arrows, I have not had any problem at all doing that in Kodi Helix running on Ubuntu 14.04. Well, with one exception - sometimes if there was an interruption in the recorded program stream due to a weak signal or a signal dropout, then Kodi will display the wrong total time of the program (I've seen it as high as 26 hours for a 1 hour program) and skipping forward or backward becomes difficult or impossible. But with a strong signal and no interference, I've not seen any problems using the left and right skip keys.

You didn't say where you are located nor the source of your recordings nor what kind of tuner equipment or backend software you use, and I suppose any or all of those could make a difference. As I noted, for me Kodi seems to have no problem dealing with good recordings with no breaks or interruptions in the stream (coming from a TVHeadEnd backend), but I suppose that certain types of signals or equipment could output timing information that Kodi doesn't recognize. It could even be a platform-dependent thing; I know that my OS X desktop system will play a couple of streams that the Ubuntu system barfs on, although in one case it's because the stream is of such high bitrate that the underpowered Linux box just can't keep up. All I know is that I usually don't see the problem you're experiencing.
My system is -

Ubuntu 14.04
Mythtv 0.27 backend
Ceton Infinitv 6 pcie
Nvidia Video and Sound

kodi 15.0alpha nightly build (I need the closed captions for digital channels)
Yeah, your setup is not at all similar to mine, so I can't even hazard a guess as to what's different. Sorry.
I have had some problems doing skips with in progress recordings too.

mythbackend 0.27.4
kodi 14.2RC
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-25, 02:07)abrombo Wrote: My system is -

Ubuntu 14.04
Mythtv 0.27 backend
Ceton Infinitv 6 pcie
Nvidia Video and Sound

kodi 15.0alpha nightly build (I need the closed captions for digital channels)

I'm impressed you have Live TV working on Kodi 15. It's driving me nuts. I struggle with time skipping in 14RC2 also
I have found building the pvr mythtv addon from source

http://kodi.wiki/view/MythTV_PVR/BuildFromSource

helps with kodi 15.0alpha due to the API version problems. Once I get a working build I usually wait at least a week before updating. My problem was getting the mythtv backend working due to the complicated setup and the usual mysql problems (but now that works great).
I always recommend mythbuntu, it solves all those problems.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time Skipping in Playback of Recordings0