• 19(current)
Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC.ca) Video Addon
(2016-01-29, 19:01)Wanderlust Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 18:50)learningit Wrote: What platform are you on?

Android tablet.

How about other shows in KODI (not the CBC plugin) do you watch movies with KODI too? I don't think most tablets are going to be powerful enough to run KODI, the only thing I'd use a tablet for in terms of KODI, is as a remote control.

Might want to look at a dedicated box or use a modern laptop. Personally I use HTPC and space and size of apps aren't a worry. My $.02. Buffering isn't a KODI issue.
(2016-01-29, 23:50)marathone Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 19:01)Wanderlust Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 18:50)learningit Wrote: What platform are you on?

Android tablet.

How about other shows in KODI (not the CBC plugin) do you watch movies with KODI too? I don't think most tablets are going to be powerful enough to run KODI, the only thing I'd use a tablet for in terms of KODI, is as a remote control.

Might want to look at a dedicated box or use a modern laptop. Personally I use HTPC and space and size of apps aren't a worry. My $.02. Buffering isn't a KODI issue.

Plenty powerful enough to play movies and telly shows, marathone. As I mentioned back a few posts: "It can't be my internet speeds because other addons are loading and playing just fine." I use the tablet to stream Brit TV (Filmon addon) when I cook, and I do a lot of cooking (hey, it's the hobby you can eat), so no, it's not the android tablet.
There are a bunch of pretty bad assumptions in the conversation above.

@marathone I use an Amazon Fire Stick as a android test platform. Correctly configured, it works fine and probably has less speed than many android tablets.

@Wanderlust your problem is 99.9% to do with your android config or internet connection. FilmOn uses 20% of the bandwidth that CBC does in hi res.The add-on has nothing to do with the actual playing of the video, it just hands a playable url to the Kodi player. Kodi android can be very tricky to get configured correctly - there are many threads about this.

Let's stop clogging up the CBC support thread with this. No one can help until a debug log with libcURL and ffmpeg verbose debugging enabled is produced. There are many threads discussing how to do this. I suspect it's not going to tell us much. It took me quite some time to get the fire stick configured to play HD without dropping frames or buffering - it is a combination of advanced settings to enable/disable libstagefright at appropriate times as well as setting buffering values. If I remember correctly, I also had to mess with a setting or two on my router for QOS to get everything the way I want it when playing different streams.
Ok. I still can't understand why the debug log isn't showing up where it should, but I'll check other threads and see if I can't get it sorted. Just a last word from me on this for now: I was watching CBC stuff with no probs for a while, and have watched other hi-rez stuff on the tablet with no problems either. So . . . off to see what I can do about that log file. Thanks all.
(2016-01-30, 14:21)Wanderlust Wrote: Ok. I still can't understand why the debug log isn't showing up where it should, but I'll check other threads and see if I can't get it sorted. Just a last word from me on this for now: I was watching CBC stuff with no probs for a while, and have watched other hi-rez stuff on the tablet with no problems either. So . . . off to see what I can do about that log file. Thanks all.

What version of Kodi are you running? One more stupid question, are you only experiencing buffering when messing around in the kitchen? The reason I ask is that I kept getting buffering while I was using the microwave in one of my homes - it was messing up the wi-fi.

Also, there have been recent changes in the CBC videos so that many are now 720p whereas before most were 480/540p, so the bandwidth requirement has increased.
15.2 Isengard. Ha! No question is too stupid for me, mate. No, happens everywhere in this wee cottage (80' x 20'). Brand new router, and I'm told it's the cat's ass; while I only get max 5Mbps down from my DSL the router transfers in the cottage at something like 53Mbps, if I'm using the correct terminology. we also don't use a microwave.

Can you, off the top of your head, recall any CBC vids that are at 480/540p. I could give them a go and see what we get.
(2016-01-30, 15:44)Wanderlust Wrote: 15.2 Isengard. Ha! No question is too stupid for me, mate. No, happens everywhere in this wee cottage (80' x 20'). Brand new router, and I'm told it's the cat's ass; while I only get max 5Mbps down from my DSL the router transfers in the cottage at something like 53Mbps, if I'm using the correct terminology. we also don't use a microwave.

Can you, off the top of your head, recall any CBC vids that are at 480/540p. I could give them a go and see what we get.

Most likely your problem is the 5Mbps DSL, it's on the edge of what you need to stream the CBC channels without buffering.
(2016-01-30, 16:07)learningit Wrote:
(2016-01-30, 15:44)Wanderlust Wrote: 15.2 Isengard. Ha! No question is too stupid for me, mate. No, happens everywhere in this wee cottage (80' x 20'). Brand new router, and I'm told it's the cat's ass; while I only get max 5Mbps down from my DSL the router transfers in the cottage at something like 53Mbps, if I'm using the correct terminology. we also don't use a microwave.

Most likely your problem is the 5Mbps DSL, it's on the edge of what you need to stream the CBC channels without buffering.

But it had been working fine. Just the past few days it went dodgy.

And how odd . . . I just tried to view The National from last night on my laptop, and while it's stuttering isn't as bad it's still happening, and previously i had no trouble streaming any of the CBC stuff through my lappie to the telly. News broadcasts, Schitt's Creek, and Young Drunk Punk all played fine. Bizarre.
Learningit explained to you that the broadcasts are now at a higher resolution 720p so that is likely your problem
(2016-01-30, 17:17)SpottedDog Wrote: Learningit explained to you that the broadcasts are now at a higher resolution 720p so that is likely your problem

Yes, and the next day catch-up of The National was streamed in 720p and working fine previously. Oh well, I guess I can always stream from the CBC website itself.

Scratch that. Just tried from the site itself and it's still stuttering. Well, bugger me. who knew an upgrade to CBC's webcasts would be the downfall of this rural island watcher. No fibre-op coming to this rock anytime soon. thanks for putting up with all the bother, learningit, and others who had to read this stuff.
(2016-01-30, 17:50)Wanderlust Wrote:
(2016-01-30, 17:17)SpottedDog Wrote: Learningit explained to you that the broadcasts are now at a higher resolution 720p so that is likely your problem

Yes, and the next day catch-up of The National was streamed in 720p and working fine previously. Oh well, I guess I can always stream from the CBC website itself.

Scratch that. Just tried from the site itself and it's still stuttering. Well, bugger me. who knew an upgrade to CBC's webcasts would be the downfall of this rural island watcher. No fibre-op coming to this rock anytime soon. thanks for putting up with all the bother, learningit, and others who had to read this stuff.

Try rebooting your router and looking for interference with it. It could be a problem within the WLAN.
I can reboot it, but not sure how to check for interference. Will give it a try though. Cheers.
Hey, folks . . . I decided to completely wipe Kodi from from my laptop and start from scratch. It's definitely not my 5Mbps DSL, as I'm watching all CBC shows fine through the lappie to my flatscreen. 720p is not a problem at all. In fact I just watch an eppie of 'This Hour has 22 Minutes,' double-checked to make sure it was in 720p, and yip. Faultless view. Seems to have sorted my HDMI sound probs as well.

As for the android tablet . . . who knows? One can't have everything, eh? Still able to watch old telly shows and Brit TV so not such a biggie.

many thanks to you all for putting up with my questions, and expecially learningit for this, by fave, addon. Cheers, all.
As of today, I can't play any new content. Debug log needed?
(2016-02-13, 05:16)Warner306 Wrote: As of today, I can't play any new content. Debug log needed?

Try again. Everything I tried plays including the latest The National.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC.ca) Video Addon4