Asus Chromebox - CPU
Hi,

i have installed Kodi on my Asus Chromebox in dual boot. The system works fine however i realise that the cpu temperature increase up to 90 C and i cannot hear any Fan (i am actually confused because initially i thought that the Asus is Fanless but on the site i found people saying they can hear the fan running). Under Openelec it is possible to verify the fan speed? can be configured in Kodi?

Thanks!
When do you see temperatures of 90C, i.e. doing what exactly? That sounds rather high even with the fan off.

Edit: And yes, the Chromebox does have a fan.
it got to 90 deg after i had installed some skins and i was trying to use a plugin that was streaming live television. The plugin was hanging and the box was shutting down (more crashing), this happened few time and i realized that the box was hot. I did check at that time the temperature and i saw it ramping up. I re installed the box without the skin and i kept the original one and re installed just the plugin i wanted. Now if i monitor the CPU it is still going quite high in temperature but not at that level, however i saw it at 70 Celsius and i cannot hear the fan noise.... that is why i am quite worried.

So i think was a combination of the Skin with something else because i realize another user on the forum had high cpu with different skins.

THanks!
Well, there is chromebox with fan (Intel i3 CPU) as well as fanless chromebox (Intel Celeron 2955U Processor), so it depends which one do you have...
(2015-03-26, 15:53)glypto Wrote: Well, there is chromebox with fan (Intel i3 CPU) as well as fanless chromebox (Intel Celeron 2955U Processor), so it depends which one do you have...

this is absolutely incorrect, all Haswell-based ChromeBoxes have a fan.
Hmm, I had the CHROMEBOX-M004U opened while removing the write-protect screw and I would swear it didn't have fan. Cannot check it/take a picture now as I gave it to my brother. But other sites reported it is fanless as well, that was actually one reason why I bought it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7735/asus-...ing-at-179
The initial announcement had a statement saying it was fanless but that was corrected/redacted.

It most certainly has a fan. The reason you didn't see it is because it's on the other side.

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/3453#16
Thanks everyone, do you know if there is a way to see the fan speed under openelec? i cannot hear it and seems not blowing from the back... i was actually thinking to open it and check if there is a fan or not.. to confirm for everyone. However i have the celeron.
(2015-03-26, 17:23)cocuzza Wrote: Thanks everyone, do you know if there is a way to see the fan speed under openelec? i cannot hear it and seems not blowing from the back... i was actually thinking to open it and check if there is a fan or not.. to confirm for everyone. However i have the celeron.

there is not. It's easy enough to open up, but I guarantee you there's a fan on the back side.
Thanks Matt, i just done it and i can see the fan from sunon Big Grin

how can i ensure if the fan is running? where i live can become quite hot in summer and i will like to avoid overheating... i was not impressed in seeing the box crashing because overheated.
if the temp is above 60°C and you can't hear/feel the fan, then something is wrong (ie, potentially defective). The programmed fan control should prevent the CPU from reaching temps which would cause crashing or thermal shutdown. I live in a hot climate too and have had no issues over the past year.
I can send it back if it is defective, i did try just now to "heat it up" and i saw the temperature raising up to 69C and i was not able to hear any noise or air coming out from the back. any test i can do before saying is defective?
pretty sure you just did one
If fan control is not exposed to system, could we do fan monitoring at least by looking into EC logs maybe or something?
(2022-03-17, 12:50)bam80 Wrote: If fan control is not exposed to system, could we do fan monitoring at least by looking into EC logs maybe or something?

as this thread is from 2015, the OP is/was using an Asus CN60/62, which do not have an EC, and whose fan is controlled by the ITE IT8772F SuperIO chip. It can be monitored via lm-sensors.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox - CPU0