Fire TV - stuttering HD TV Channels
Hello,

im using the latest Kodi 14.2 RC on my Fire TV. Because im generlly watching TV over TVHeadend, running on my Server, I also wanted to to use my Fire TV for that. I'm already running Raspberry's, x86 Clients and Andoid Smartphones fine with this Setup.Now ive got the Problem that 1080p HD Channels, which are encoded in h264 here in Germany are not decoded well. The Video and Audio does stutter very much. SD Channels wich are encoded in MPEG2 do work fine. Also 720p wich are also h264, but i think the Fire TV does this in Software and is fast enough, so no stuttering occurs.

I tried every Combination on libstagefright and mediacodec, but could not get HD TV to work.

Best Regards

Daniel
You've run into a known problem with the Fire TV and Android media boxes in general.

That being you cannot deinterlace 1080p HD TV and have Hardware acceleration enabled.

If you turn off deinterlacing via OSD video settings:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#OSD_video_settings

You will likely find that 1080p h264 video plays back smoothly. BUT you will then have to put up with the famous video Combing effect, especially in fast moving video.

The FAQ details the current AFTV limitations
!!
!!
V

You are right. Got it working with mediacodec disabled and deinterlace turned off. Never had to deal with deinterlacing before, because all my Devices are doing this well.

Will try latest Kodi nightly, there seems to be a HW BOB deinterlacer now.
@cyablo

Did you try the latest Kodi nightly? Any improvement?
I will add that if you want an Android device for Live TV with very good Advanced Motion Adaptive edge enhancing deinterlacing and full hardware acceleration support, get a device with an Amlogic SoC.

The Amlogic Video Engine (VPU) in these SoC's produce very good results.
Live DVB-TV on my Amlogic S805 equipped box is superb at 50Hz Smile

(2015-04-17, 20:29)ED-209 Wrote: @cyablo

Did you try the latest Kodi nightly? Any improvement?

I've Kodi 15 running, HD is working here but it crashed from time to time while watching HD Channels.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV - stuttering HD TV Channels0