Folder manipulation for Aeon Nox 5
Question 
Hi all .... newbie here

I'm running Kodi 14.2-RC1 (Helix?) on a Raspberry Pi 2 - openElec OS using the Aeon Nox 5 skin

Loving everything about the whole thing basically, except for one niggling issue (so far lol)

Is there any way to delete and/or add movie genre folders?? I'm not crazy how it is categorizing my existing content and really need (want) to add and subtract folders plus change how they sort content (if possible).

I've read through some posts on earlier editions and such, but I haven't found a conclusive answer to this question. I accessed the system folders via SSH and found the skin theme movie folder artwork (which does have additional images for non-existing folders and some missing images for folders that were showing - i.e. foreign, kids, etc)

I would like to add, delete, or even better, modify these folders but cannot figure out how to do this. A few of the things I read in forums (mostly regarding earlier versions of AN) mentioned what could be done when the program/platform is loaded to a PC ... but I'm lost on how to find any of these folders, files, whatever through the openElec interface.

I'm not interested in using tags/nodes or some other alternate defining system to jury-rig a substitute.

Some help or a boot in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

JB
>re: Is there any way to delete and/or add movie genre folders?

This question pops up a lot. A quick overview might help, the videos get auto tagged by the internet database scraper on scrape, Kodi has no part in this, it's the users on the scrape site. So a comedy might have more than one, like Comedy, Crime, Action. You can manipulate these with a text editor to eliminate/change just the one you want, or add more tags (you need to edit the .nfo file and that doesn't exist until you export your video library to separate files and of course your edits will not be seen until you import that .nfo file to the library [manually one at a time is best] ) . Kodi has within graphics associated with these genre, and yes you can change them or add to them and they will show up if you have the videos with those tags. A slight word of caution.. a re-scrape will bring back the original genre tags.

Sprucing up your genre thumbs is worthwhile, but changing the genre labels is going to be a bit of effort. Best to consider the 'tags' function within Kodi or smart play lists. The way Kodi uses sets now is really easy to add or subtract.

Ok, I'm lazy.. I admit it, so I shy away from all this stuff. So here's my hints.... I set up folders/directories the way I wanted (basically genre with a few extras) in file mode as sources and just throw new files into each as I get my paws on them. I ignore the whole Kodi genre system unless I want a different way of viewing a particular genre. In file mode I have all these lovely my-genre coming up with great graphics and custom thumbs I use sets for things like Jame Bond, and tags for things like Oscar Winners, and Smart playlists for things like Sean Connery., then save'em all as favourites and link to the front end. I spend most of my time elsewhere and love the way Kodi handles me, nice & easy.

I did note you are using a Rasp with Openelec, so hopefully the file manager can make folders? Regardless, the easiest way to set this all up is with a file manipulator or manager on the source meta-data. Good luck.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library
http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies
This may not be relevant to your situation but I have had issues with genre titles not being what I would classify as accurate and I used phil65's library editor script to change the, in my opinion, inaccurate genres to my own preference. The genres are added when you scrape when adding an item to your library. It takes a lot of manual input but I have "fixed" many movies on a case by case basis that I disagreed with using that script. The scripts forum page is here if you'd like to check it out. Once installed it appears under the + sign (Edit) to invoke changes for that item if available.
OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh

Okay, now I think I understand.

So the answer to my question; is there a way to add/delete genre movie folders is YES

BUT

It's not a matter of deleting/modifying/adding a portion of the program/script. In other words, there' no system folder that have a bunch of strings or scripts or whatever that say something like <tag = folder genre --- list/> (or something to that effect) that can be edited or deleted or added ..

The program reviews all of the content and populates the according folders section ONLY with the relevant folders as they match up with existing tags.

In other words, you will not have a "Kids Movies" genre folder if there are no movies that are tagged "Kids"

So to "delete" the Kids Movies genre folder is by either removing all of the movies with "Kids" as the tag OR by modifying the nfo file that has the tag info.

Simple, but mysterious if you are a newbie .... lol

Thanks so much to PatK and mikesilvo164 for responses!

JB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Folder manipulation for Aeon Nox 51