Acer AXC-603-UR10
Just looking for some input on Windows based machines. I've been thinking of going with an Asus Chromebox, but I'm somewhat worried about the installation process for Openelec (I know it's not that hard, but any time I have crack open cases and run scripts on a new piece of hardware, I worry about what happens if I need to return it). I'm also marginally interested in something that has other uses than just Kodi, such as being a decent Netflix box, web browser, etc.

So, I thought maybe I should look at Windows machines, and while there seems to be a lot of interest in the HP Stream, it appears it might need RAM upgrades out of the box in order to work well. I'm not really the sort who builds systems from scratch, and I'm not a stickler for form factor or dead quiet fans (although I don't want anything so noisy it distracts. As I have young kids who still watch a lot of DVD's, I though it might also be nice to have a machine capable of playing that media as well.

So, I was looking at Acer mini-desktops that have been on sale recently in Canada, particularly these two:

Option 1

Option 2

Any advice as to whether these would make viable Kodi machines would be much appreciated. Again, I know I could likely do much better building from scratch, but consider that my needs are humble (mainly playing 720P/1080P media from a NAS and streaming) and I'm not interested in messing around with hardware and software to get something working.
The trouble with those Acer machines is that they run ancient (by Kodi standards) VPU/GPU combos. Even the Acer VivoPC series seem to be one or two generations behind in their GPU's.
Kodi loves Haswell VPU/GPU combos, you will get the best video quality if you pick a device with Haswell microarchitecture.

If you want something thats very easy to upgrade the RAM/SSD and runs a Haswell GPU, same as the ASUS Chromebox plus comes with Windows so you can get HD Netflix etc, then get the HP Stream Mini you have already looked at. 3 screws to take out and Upgrades are plug and play. It seriously could not be any easier.

Upgrading:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqcRtLTP1Q8

As for DVD's, Kodi has support for playback straight from a connected DVD drive. Just get a cheap as chips external USB DVD player and plug that into the Mini and your good to go.

A SSD / Haswell equipped Kodi media device plus a good NAS will give you the best bang for your buck.

Well there is the Asus VivoMini PC, which offers the same specs as Chromebox devices, while offering windows. I think you can get a 4gb ram option too, if not ram is dead easy to upgrade, like the Chromebox.
Okay, good to know. I know Kodi plays well with Haswell, but I was never sure how it would do with other architectures since I've never taken the time to play around with it.

I get the feeling that with the impending arrival of Windows 10, there's going to be a few more Windows-based options capable of doing everything well in a small, cheap package, and that these machines will be the death of all the cheap android boxes out there. Might be worth waiting in my case as I can make do with my current device. I know, I know. Waiting is a fool's game when it comes to technology. But it seems to me that cheap Windows mini-computers are going to solve a lot of problems for Kodi users, provided Windows and Kodi learn to get along better.
yeah, but then you're still running Windows...
(2015-03-28, 06:16)agender Wrote: Well there is the Asus VivoMini PC, which offers the same specs as Chromebox devices, while offering windows. I think you can get a 4gb ram option too, if not ram is dead easy to upgrade, like the Chromebox.
Ah yes your right the ASUS VM42-S075V Desktop with 4GB ram and Win 8.1.

For those interested in FLIRC and Windows navigation, a nice Mini Guide for lots of shortcuts is found here:
http://www.amazon.com/FLIRC-Dongle-Media...B00BB0ETW8

(2015-03-28, 07:32)Matt Devo Wrote: yeah, but then you're still running Windows...

As a long time lurker, I've noticed you've said this a few times. Is your dislike of using Kodi on Windows more based on an aversion to Windows itself, or just that it's not the most efficient platform for Kodi?

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of using Windows to run mostly one application, but like I said in my previous post, I think the versatility of using Windows (in increasingly smaller form factors) might open doors for users down the road.
I was thinking of the UN42 and UN62 models(which are closer to the Chromebox models in size than the VM42), which according to Asus US site come in prebuilt variants too.
(2015-03-28, 18:47)ryecatcher74 Wrote:
(2015-03-28, 07:32)Matt Devo Wrote: yeah, but then you're still running Windows...

As a long time lurker, I've noticed you've said this a few times. Is your dislike of using Kodi on Windows more based on an aversion to Windows itself, or just that it's not the most efficient platform for Kodi?

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of using Windows to run mostly one application, but like I said in my previous post, I think the versatility of using Windows (in increasingly smaller form factors) might open doors for users down the road.

little of both. I have a mix of Kodi clients in my household, and by far the ones that give me the least (as in no) problems are the ones running OpenELEC. The windows laptop and tablet, while offering additional functionality, definitely don't offer as flawless a Kodi experience.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer AXC-603-UR100