Linux Kodi won't upgrade in Ubuntu 12.04 due to missing/uninstallable dependency
Ubuntu update manager said there was an update to kodi and kodi-bin available, but would not let me check the boxes to install them. I have never had that happen before so I tried to do the update from a command prompt, and this is what I got:
Quote:$ sudo apt-get install kodi kodi-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi-bin : Depends: libyajl2 (>= 2.0.4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and upgrading Ubuntu is NOT an option at this point. Have I hit the end of the line for Kodi updates, or is this something that can be resolved?
Same issue here with Linux Mint 13 (based on Ubuntu 12.04). Mint's Upgrade manager does not detect any upgrade available anymore; Synaptic does see the upgrade available from 14.1 to 14.2, but gives those same errors described by xbmclinuxuser; kodi itself remains running at 14.1
There's definitely something broken on the depedencies front, but determining exactly what it is goes beyond my humble skills...
I updated 12.04 yesterday. Please post
Code:
apt-cache policy kodi
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
$ apt-cache policy kodi
kodi:
Installed: 2:14.1~git20150130.1238-final-0precise
Candidate: 2:14.2~git20150327.1058-final-0precise
Version table:
2:14.2~git20150327.1058-final-0precise 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
*** 2:14.1~git20150130.1238-final-0precise 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
try again, it should work now.

But you can already prepare yourself to upgrade ubuntu as it's possible that Isengard(v15) won't work on precise anymore.
It installed perfectly this time. Thanks for fixing it!

I really hope that v15 won't break on Ubuntu 12.04 because I am running another piece of software that won't work on anything newer than 12.04, so that would pretty much force me to continue using Helix until 12.04 reaches EOL. The reason I went with a long term release version of Ubuntu was because I knew I was going to have problems with that software so I wanted to avoid the pain of doing an upgrade and losing the use of that software for as long as possible. So if there's any way possible to keep supporting the long-term release versions of Ubuntu that haven't yet reached end-of-life, it would be very much appreciated by those of us who don't have a system dedicated exclusively to Kodi.

I'm actually hoping that by the time Ubuntu 12.04 reaches EOL that there will be a small system I can purchase that I can use exclusively with Kodi, that will play high-bitrate files PVR'd from a satellite receiver (such as this sample posted by a Reddit user a while back). I would just get a Raspberry Pi 2 and dedicate it to the cause but there are a few types of video it won't play, the type in that sample video being one example . And in case anyone is wondering, that sample does play fine on my full-powered desktop system under Kodi, so it's not a video that's been corrupted in some way.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick response and the fix!
Random thread-interjection... have you considered running 12.04 in a VM for this particular piece of software, presuming you can't just install 12.04 on a spare Netbook or similar to keep this code going?
(2015-03-29, 13:47)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Random thread-interjection... have you considered running 12.04 in a VM for this particular piece of software, presuming you can't just install 12.04 on a spare Netbook or similar to keep this code going?

This system probably has about the same amount of CPU power as a Raspberry Pi 2, maybe even less; the only reason it work well with Kodi is because it has nVidia graphics. I very much doubt it would support running VM software. That's why I said I'm looking for a low power system to replace it that can play that high bitrate video, because even this system won't do that, though my desktop system plays it just fine.

I know that a Raspberry Pi 2 and a CuBox-i will NOT play that video, otherwise I might have already replaced this system. By the time Ubuntu 12.04 reaches EOL I hope something better will appear. Part of the problem is that I've been told that it's hard to get people to test this video on their low power systems; I think they see the .ts extension and get suspicious because it's not an extension they recognize. But .ts simply stands for "transport stream", and that is how television recordings are usually saved when recorded from a satellite or terrestrial PVR (maybe not in all areas of the world, but where I live that is the case). The stream contains video, audio, and sometimes data such as closed captions or EPG guide information, but Kodi plays them just fine as long as the bitrate isn't too high for the computer to handle. And with 4K on the horizon there is some very high bitrate stuff coming, so this is something more people should want to know about before they purchase new equipment (sorry to wander just a bit further off the original topic, but I really would like to find a replacement for my aging hardware that will play that high bitrate stuff without any problems).
that ts stream you linked to is:
Format profile : 4:2:2@high

there is no HW decoding support for that.
Cant you just run that program in chroot?
(2015-03-29, 15:18)wsnipex Wrote: that ts stream you linked to is:
Format profile : 4:2:2@high

there is no HW decoding support for that.

That is correct, but all I am saying is this:

It plays fine in Kodi on a desktop machine.

It also plays fine on a high end HTPC (Asrock Vision 3D, I believe it's called) despite the fact that it's an older unit. And someone said they were play to play it with no problem on a Chromebox, though they didn't specify which model, nor whether it was running Android or Linux.

It will NOT play on a Raspberry Pi 2, Cubox-i, or older Acer Aspire Revo.

Personally, I don't care if there is HW decoding support for it as long as it will play. I don't know what is different about the desktop systems or the Asrock, maybe they are able to do all the decoding in software? All I want to find is a smaller system that will play that stream. Maybe that's not possible but CPU power keeps increasing, for example Kodi runs much better on a Raspberry Pi 2 than the original Raspberry Pi. Maybe two years from now there will be a "Raspberry Pi 3" (or 4) and it will have enough CPU power to handle this type of file. Or maybe some other small, quiet device will appear that has that capability.
(2015-03-29, 16:18)Soli Wrote: Cant you just run that program in chroot?

Not a clue what you are talking about.
chroot would effectively let you install one version of Ubuntu into another - the 'chroot' bit is 'change root', in that it fools subsequent applications into thinking that their world begins at one directory (i.e. the root \) when it's actually a subdirectory of the main system. Sounds complicated, but it might allow your old application to run in the chroot 12.04 environment with 14.10 or something else as the host.

It's not a VM, as the OSes exist at the same time - it's more about which versions of files get picked up when, for example, the application asks for /usr/bin/something or /lib/modules/somethingelse (and instead gets /home/chroot/usr/bin/something and /home/chroot/lib/modules/somethingelse).
(2015-03-29, 10:01)wsnipex Wrote: try again, it should work now.

But you can already prepare yourself to upgrade ubuntu as it's possible that Isengard(v15) won't work on precise anymore.

Hey, it worked!! THANK YOU!!
So what was it?
(2015-03-29, 22:01)Hassan.Mohamad1 Wrote: The home at the home

(2015-03-29, 22:02)Hassan.Mohamad1 Wrote: Thank you

Wot?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi won't upgrade in Ubuntu 12.04 due to missing/uninstallable dependency0