Linux - Kodi won't upgrade in Ubuntu 12.04 due to missing/uninstallable dependency

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xbmclinuxuser Offline
Ubuntu update manager said there was an update to kodi and kodi-bin available, but would not let me check the boxes to install them. I have never had that happen before so I tried to do the update from a command prompt, and this is what I got:
Quote:$ sudo apt-get install kodi kodi-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi-bin : Depends: libyajl2 (>= 2.0.4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and upgrading Ubuntu is NOT an option at this point. Have I hit the end of the line for Kodi updates, or is this something that can be resolved?

I am NOT a coder, in fact I am not very comfortable in Linux outside of a GUI. I am just a user of Linux and XBMC, as my user name implies.
find quote
jackh Offline
Same issue here with Linux Mint 13 (based on Ubuntu 12.04). Mint's Upgrade manager does not detect any upgrade available anymore; Synaptic does see the upgrade available from 14.1 to 14.2, but gives those same errors described by xbmclinuxuser; kodi itself remains running at 14.1
There's definitely something broken on the depedencies front, but determining exactly what it is goes beyond my humble skills...
find quote
nickr Offline
Donor
I updated 12.04 yesterday. Please post
Code:
apt-cache policy kodi

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thank user' button and increase my reputation :)
find quote
xbmclinuxuser Offline
$ apt-cache policy kodi
kodi:
Installed: 2:14.1~git20150130.1238-final-0precise
Candidate: 2:14.2~git20150327.1058-final-0precise
Version table:
2:14.2~git20150327.1058-final-0precise 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
*** 2:14.1~git20150130.1238-final-0precise 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I am NOT a coder, in fact I am not very comfortable in Linux outside of a GUI. I am just a user of Linux and XBMC, as my user name implies.
find quote
wsnipex Offline
Team-Kodi Member
try again, it should work now.

But you can already prepare yourself to upgrade ubuntu as it's possible that Isengard(v15) won't work on precise anymore.
(This post was last modified: Today 10:02 by wsnipex.)
find quote
xbmclinuxuser Offline
It installed perfectly this time. Thanks for fixing it!

I really hope that v15 won't break on Ubuntu 12.04 because I am running another piece of software that won't work on anything newer than 12.04, so that would pretty much force me to continue using Helix until 12.04 reaches EOL. The reason I went with a long term release version of Ubuntu was because I knew I was going to have problems with that software so I wanted to avoid the pain of doing an upgrade and losing the use of that software for as long as possible. So if there's any way possible to keep supporting the long-term release versions of Ubuntu that haven't yet reached end-of-life, it would be very much appreciated by those of us who don't have a system dedicated exclusively to Kodi.

I'm actually hoping that by the time Ubuntu 12.04 reaches EOL that there will be a small system I can purchase that I can use exclusively with Kodi, that will play high-bitrate files PVR'd from a satellite receiver (such as this sample posted by a Reddit user a while back). I would just get a Raspberry Pi 2 and dedicate it to the cause but there are a few types of video it won't play, the type in that sample video being one example . And in case anyone is wondering, that sample does play fine on my full-powered desktop system under Kodi, so it's not a video that's been corrupted in some way.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick response and the fix!

find quote
Prof Yaffle Offline
Donor
Random thread-interjection... have you considered running 12.04 in a VM for this particular piece of software, presuming you can't just install 12.04 on a spare Netbook or similar to keep this code going?
find quote
xbmclinuxuser Offline
(Today 13:47)Prof Yaffle Wrote:  Random thread-interjection... have you considered running 12.04 in a VM for this particular piece of software, presuming you can't just install 12.04 on a spare Netbook or similar to keep this code going?

This system probably has about the same amount of CPU power as a Raspberry Pi 2, maybe even less; the only reason it work well with Kodi is because it has nVidia graphics. I very much doubt it would support running VM software. That's why I said I'm looking for a low power system to replace it that can play that high bitrate video, because even this system won't do that, though my desktop system plays it just fine.

I know that a Raspberry Pi 2 and a CuBox-i will NOT play that video, otherwise I might have already replaced this system. By the time Ubuntu 12.04 reaches EOL I hope something better will appear. Part of the problem is that I've been told that it's hard to get people to test this video on their low power systems; I think they see the .ts extension and get suspicious because it's not an extension they recognize. But .ts simply stands for "transport stream", and that is how television recordings are usually saved when recorded from a satellite or terrestrial PVR (maybe not in all areas of the world, but where I live that is the case). The stream contains video, audio, and sometimes data such as closed captions or EPG guide information, but Kodi plays them just fine as long as the bitrate isn't too high for the computer to handle. And with 4K on the horizon there is some very high bitrate stuff coming, so this is something more people should want to know about before they purchase new equipment (sorry to wander just a bit further off the original topic, but I really would like to find a replacement for my aging hardware that will play that high bitrate stuff without any problems).

find quote
wsnipex Offline
Team-Kodi Member
that ts stream you linked to is:
Format profile : 4:2:2@High

there is no HW decoding support for that.
find quote
Soli Online
Cant you just run that program in chroot?
find quote