Can a ps3 read upnp libraries from a Pi running XBMC?
Question 
Just a quick question really.
We have a Pi with kodi on it.

I know the ps3 can read dlna servers, but would it be able to read libraries off the XBMC Pi and play them on the ps3?

Regards.
Tried it out with my 360.... Seems to read my library, though not play...:-s

...I haven't got a Ps3 to try it with...
Asuming you have a DLNA server running that knows of and has catalogued your library, and the PS3 can find this DLNA server on your network, the PS3 should be able to play back some file/codec types (but not all file/codec types).
But i haven't looked into whether DLNA = UPnP so can't say if kodi can work as a DLNA server recognisable by the PS3 or your TV (if it is DLNA compliant).

Further, if you have any BD or DVD rips that contain cinavia audio watermarking within your library, and the list of cinavia infections continues to increase to the point it should be a concern to the CDC, your PS3 may starts to play the movie via DLNA but you will be soon greeted with stopped playback or loss of audio after 20minutes. And it's very anoying when this happens.

In fact any BD compliant device like the PS3, PS4, Xbone and any 'compliant' BD playback software for PC or your standalone BD players MUST comply with cinavia restrictions and stop playback of ripped BD's. I'm not sure if such cinavia infections have spread to DLNA capable TV's and or AMPS.

It wont get better as UHD BD's ramp up the BD restrictions and protections by including a video version of cinavia (amoungst other horrible things like registartaion to a specific device before viewing and SD only unless net connected)...

So the question shouldn't be how to play back content on your cinavia infected PS3 via DLNA but why would you even want to?
An uninfected open source player like kodi, that can handle almost any file format and codec out there, is a much better solution.
I'm a XBMC novice :)
thanks for the lengthy reply.

Unfortunately the ppl I set up the pi for just found the operating speed just a bit too slow. (Not my opinion). It's a 1st gen Pi. They were used to the ps3 menus and speed. You know how it is... Ppl get attached to what they know, so they wanted the PS3 back and so just to make use of the Pi they wanted to use it as a media server.

Obvs. I would totally recommend kodi over any ps3 media playback but spouse acceptance factor was too big a hurdle Undecided

Thanks for the info, although I was already aware ps3 was picky about formats. I just posted the query because I didn't have a ps3 to hand and figured someone out there must have tried this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can a ps3 read upnp libraries from a Pi running XBMC?0